Doorbells Feature Request

This is a good idea and not the1st time ive read this either, see it a fair bit on the FB groups, i can see one issue though, and that is that Amazon Skills need to be invoked by the user, having the Live View automatically show i think wouldneed to be sorted by Amazon, ie built into the firmware of the Show’s. There may be a way around this for the time being but its not ideal, get yourself a cheapo dot, 1st gen will do. Create a routine, If doorbell pressed, say, Alexa, show the front door, and choose the dot that you want her to respond from. The place that dot next to the Show where you want the Live View to automatically show. Like i said, its not ideal for a few reasons but unless Amazon have recently prevented Her from hearing her own voice from another unit next to Her then it should still work, this is how folks manage to invoke a skill in a routine :slight_smile:

We have two ring Doorbell Pro cameras and a three Chime module spread about the house. When the doorbell is pressed we hear sound from the Chime modules, our phones, and the outside doorbell that was pressed. I can change the tones the Chime modules make, that my phone makes, but not the sound of the outside doorbell. I would think that it would be a nice feature to be able to change the doorbell sound, too. Especially at times of the year like this when I would change to a Halloween related sound. Is there any activity to be able to do that?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Hi,
I have enjoyed my ring doorbell since I got it.
I think I might notice the amount of data I use because I am on Xplorenet Satelite internet in Canada BC. For those that get a cap on their internet, or can’t schedule their motion because they don’t know when they are coming or going (I get alerted all the time on low notification setting).

Feature Request:
Would it be cool to have a keychain (fob) maybe 2 or 3 of them that can (when in range) turn the system off if you register them on the system?
So if I leave for work, and my wife and kids are still at home with their keys on the wall, the ring camera won’t alert my phone until they leave.
(The system won’t activate until the fob is out of range).

Maybe you want to record video when your family is home, then you don’t need to purchase the fob, or change the settings for what happens when fob 1, fob 2, fob 3 are within range or not.

2 Likes

Please provide more/better options for two factor authentication. Google Authenticator, Duo-Moblie, Yubi-keys, etc.

3 Likes

I would like to change the sound the doorbell makes outside - not the sound on the phone app or the chime unit.

23 Likes

I second this, and anything you choose upto a certain size, would love to use a prerecorded message but i think thats going a tad too far :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I was just going on here to say the same, especially with the Halloween and Adamms Family rings for trick or treat, and other holiday sounds already integrated for Chime, should be fairly easy to do.

8 Likes

Can Ring create a Google Chrome Extension to send Notifications when Chrome Browser is open? This would be useful for people whoe work in building that dont have good cell reception/no guest wifi.

4 Likes

@HumanPretzel wrote:

Can Ring create a Google Chrome Extension to send Notifications when Chrome Browser is open? This would be useful for people whoe work in building that dont have good cell reception/no guest wifi.

Great idea. I second this idea. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree, we need to know if there is charging going in, not just a percentage of what the charge is. Good point!

2 Likes

Proposed feature
-Save battery life
-Reduce notifications
-Reduce internet data usage (some have limit, and it is both home wifi and cellular data combined).

Edit: user “mydogismychime” made my idea better:
This is done with your phone.
Multiple people on the system using geofencing with their phones. When everyone is gone, the security kicks in.
“Settings” allow you to turn the security on when 1 person, or both members are gone from the house at a certain distance.

1 Like

You don’t need a keychain. This is called geofencing, and most devices that support it just use your phone as the “keychain”. My thermostat does it to get my house to my ideal temperature when I get close so it can save energy while I’m gone. Good idea though, that would be a great feature for Ring.

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds great.

I’d love to see the ability to configure the rotation of a doorbell! One of my doorbells fits much better at a 90 degree angle and I’d love to be able to configure it to show the video at the correct orientation.

Also, I’d love a setting to keep the video on my phone in the orientation that I have my phone set to.

2 Likes

Second this request. This feature feels like a no-brainer. I was surprised to see that we couldn’t change the tone played by the outdoor bell itself.

3 Likes

It would be good if we had a feature to create an announcement to play when a caller pressed the doorbell, this would hopefully keep the caller there patiently waiting while we connect in to chat to them (if we are out of the house), and would help where we have slow/busy connections to our phones.

A pre-set or recorded message such as “Hello, please wait a few moments while we come to the door, if we are not at home we will speak to you over the intercom, just be a moment”

Steve

3 Likes

I would really love to have the feature that when the doorbell is ringed, Amazon Echo Show can display the view directly, rather than me asking Alexa to show me the image.

5 Likes

@spot wrote:

It would be good if we had a feature to create an announcement to play when a caller pressed the doorbell, this would hopefully keep the caller there patiently waiting while we connect in to chat to them (if we are out of the house), and would help where we have slow/busy connections to our phones.

A pre-set or recorded message such as “Hello, please wait a few moments while we come to the door, if we are not at home we will speak to you over the intercom, just be a moment”

Steve

I am so onboard with this idea. For whatever reason, it can take up to 30 seconds for my phone to connect to the doorbell, etc, so it’s not uncommon that people have already walked away.

Please give serious consideration to adding this feature. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It would be nice to have an option to see what exactly triggered the motion sensor, i.e. “Motion Tagging” with a green box outlining what triggered the sensor or something.

I am often left wondering what exactly triggered the sensor, and subsequently how I need to adjust the sensitivity or move objects that are constantly triggering the sensor.

Thanks!

5 Likes

I have problems when on cell networks that aren’t in the city.

Since the video goes to the servers before my phone, i would love if you allow us to set lower quality video viewing from our cell network. I have alot of locations where i am unable to connect due to slower speeds. I get the notification but it fails to connect. My other apps work fine, but you don’t always need hd video to see who is at your door. Maybe you need to work on buffering, since youtube videos work.

1 Like