Doorbells Feature Request

Please make your people detection actually work on all of your products, so cats, insects, shadows, headlights, and rain don’t set it off. I’m getting to the point where I just ignore the alerts, which makes me wonder why I’m still paying for your service. I hear from others the Nest cameras/doorbells do a pretty good job of facial and people recognition. I was generally happy with how easy the product was to install, but it’s really hard for me to recommend them to friends these days.

1 Like

Please add the ability to silence the doorbell push but still get the notifications. The doorbell rings throughout the house through my echo’s etc. and I have a newborn and if she is napping it is very disruptive. So when she is napping I would love the ability to snooze the doorbell.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for but you can disable the ring notification for your doorbell device in the Alexa app

Hello and thanks for that suggestion and that does work to turn off the echo’s but I would like to silence the doorbell entirely for brief periods especially when I know amazon deliveries are coming and baby is napping.

Regarding app launch and connect times being very slow -

If a still image could get sent to the phone quickly while the video was trying to launch, that would give me 90% of what I want. Or maybe have the option to have the motion and doorbell notifications open the overview screen, as I get stills off all three of my Ring cameras faster than I get video connected to one.

It seems like that adds fewer engineering challenges than optimizing the launch and connect speeds, that I’m sure Ring engineers are already hard at work on.

Rick

@just1Rick, I’m pretty sure they have this capability. There was one time (and only once), I actually got an iPhone notification with the image of what set it off from one of my floodlight cams. I was so happy and thought this was a huge turning point. Unfortunately, that was a week ago and it’s never happened again. What I sadly do now is open the Ring app directly and not through the notifications and wait for the video to become available or watch it live. As I’m sure it most folks experience, by the time you open the app, whatever set off the motion is no longer visible. So I’d rather wait for the video to become available or watch live. My reasoning is, I want the initial event video to be as small as possible, so it’ll become available more quickly. If you click on the notification, then it’ll start adding to the initial recording, making it longer, and delaying the time to see the beginning of the video, which is generally all you care about.

I have a Ring Pro (wired only), as well as a pair of Ring Spotlight Cams (the battery model), and I was wondering if Ring was thinking of adding any ability to either get time lapse videos from the app, or maybe adding a way to get still pictures in an automatable fashion (so I can make my own time lapse).

24 hours in 30 seconds seems a good ratio in this video, which I guess is a picture every 2 minutes or so.

https://twitter.com/Livestormchaser/status/1218996334142853120

Don’t forget to watermark the videos - your competition didn’t, and that video is getting spread widely.

Thanks,

Rick

1 Like

Is there a way to change the operation bar at the bottom of the replay so that you can see what happened at the first of the video?

@BellRung Mine worked until yesterday. Now it won’t. Only thing I see is wrong firmware. It doesn’t show “up to date”. Everything else is good and nothing changed on my iPhone or watch regarding notifications.

Is it possible for Ring to increase the record time from 20 seconds to at least 1 minute or 30 seconds beyond the detected motion period? 20-30 seconds is way too short.

I have all 3 of my RVD attached to doorbell wiring and they stay charged. We need the option to select ALL the benefits of Wired Ring Devices

DMB: I think mine will do this in the timeline. I push the pause and then slide left and right

Please allow people only mode to record all motion but only notify for people for hardwired cameras (pro doorbell and floodlight), so in effect it works like the battery powered version.

This way I can check footage to see what my cat has been up to without getting constant notifications about it. If I enable peole only mode no footage will be recorded but I want the footage just no notifications.

As you know, video replay of the most recent motion detected by the doorbell takes quite a while to process before we can see it. The result is that we hear the alert “motion detected at your front door” but, by the time we can review what’s going on, it’s long gone.

To solve this, store a small buffer of snapshots - just jpegs - that record only the most recent few seconds. When “motion detected” occurs, display one or more of these images so we don’t have to wait for your site to build us a .mpeg file. A rapid auto-scroll through these images would make an acceptable pseudo-movie.

The buffer would cycle such that you’re only storing the last five or ten seconds. Storage requirements would be modest. Encoding .jpegs is fast, and if image quality is kept low, file size could be kept down to ensure rapid transmission.

Please change record length to equal actual motion sensing length. Have user settable to stop recording after x seconds of no motion detected.

eg. if it takes 2 min to come up driveway and person to get out of car walk up to door then record 2 min. If it takes 20 sec to drive up and person talks on phone for 30 sec and then gets out then record 20sec. Then new recording upon new motion for 30 sec.

How do you activate siren speaker on ring doorbell ?

I don’t want or need a video doorbell. I just need a wireless doorbell that the base can ding when pressed. My home has never had a doorbell and the wireless ones at the store do not connect to ring.

Hi guys.

I think the ability to fine tune the max distance you can set the detection range without picking up vehicles would be a good idea.

You can then set it at a level whereas you don’t detect vehicles passing by, but you do pick up regular motion of people.

So a visible percentage scale would go from say 1% to 100% when you slide the blue detection area and it would not notify me of vehicles if set at 75%, but if set to 76% then it would then detect vehicles also. I’m trying to maximise motion detection of people, but reduce the vehicle capture. I’m currently using something in the picture to reference against i.e. the top of a tree in the distance, or the top of somebodys house. It would be easier to have a scale to refer too.

Many thanks.!

Mine chimes at the doorbell.

If you goto doorbell in the app > device settings > General settings

You can adjust the volume of the outside doorbell so the visitor knows it has rung.

Hope this helps.

Rob

1 Like

Please add the ability to turn off night mode.

My Doorbell Pro sits in the corner next to a wall because there is no other place to put the doorbell. At night, the IR turns on and will illuminate the wall which drowns out the rest of the picture. The doorbell is useless at night if I can’t see past the first 2 feet. If I cover up the IR with electrical tape (which is a generic forum solution), then the picture becomes clear and I can see all the way down the street. Why would I place tape on a $250 device? This is unacceptable. Many people also complain that the device may overheat with the tape over the IR.

Please add a feature to disable night mode, or at least give the option to configure the IR (Off, On, Auto, etc.). The picture is perfect until the IR turns on. To me (and hopefully to Ring), this is a huge security issue. What good is a camera if it can’t see.