Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doorbell won’t charge when hard wired

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Doorbell won’t charge when hard wired

I removed the doorbell and installed the Ring Doorbell but it won't stay charged I had to remove it and connect it with USB cord to charge. 
Isn't it supposed to charge when hard wired?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Doorbell won’t charge when hard wired

Hey @Stevndar! When wiring up your Video Doorbell to existing wires, you will want to check the following to ensure for proper voltage: 

• Transformer rating is 8 - 24VAC 
  • The wiring is standard gauge wires and not too thin (ex: spliced cat5)
  • The wires are connected securely to the Video Doorbell and a diode is installed if connected to a digital chime kit. If chime kit is mechanical, do not use a diode.

The above should lead to a charging of your battery, depending on usage and battery temperature. Check out our Community post about battery draining for more tips on extending battery life. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
New Neighbor

which version of the ring doorbell do you have and what did you do to 'hard wire' it    -  was your previous doorbell low voltage DC   - did you install a 20V AC transformer  

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes , replaced the low voltage door bell with this basic Ring Video Doorbell. Attaching the two wires from the doorbell transformer.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm having this same issue.  Just curious if you were able to resolve it and how you did resolve it.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes it is. Ring knows about this issue and they won't do anything about it. This started happening late 2019, and all Doorbell 2 owners will be impacted. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Well that stinks. I'm not about to buy Rings for my other doors if I have to remove them to recharge.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

It would be nice to get input from a Ring representative. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Stevndar! When wiring up your Video Doorbell to existing wires, you will want to check the following to ensure for proper voltage: 

• Transformer rating is 8 - 24VAC 
  • The wiring is standard gauge wires and not too thin (ex: spliced cat5)
  • The wires are connected securely to the Video Doorbell and a diode is installed if connected to a digital chime kit. If chime kit is mechanical, do not use a diode.

The above should lead to a charging of your battery, depending on usage and battery temperature. Check out our Community post about battery draining for more tips on extending battery life. I hope this helps! Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
New Neighbor

For what it's worth my Ring doorbell has just started charging again...... I last looked at it 2 days ago & it was at 64%; tonight it's reading 93%.  For months now it's been losing 1% per day or so so I was amazed to see the battery level has gone up so.

Can't tell if there has been a firmware update but I've not changed anything this end, so Ring must have done something. (At Last)

Highlighted
New Neighbor

My 1st gen Ring doorbell just stopped charging as well. Hard-wired, and worked for two+ years but now won’t charge.

What can be done?