Doorbell won’t charge when hard wired

Do I need a resistor in line to make the device charge? I have an 18V 500mA AC - AC Transformer and nothing happening when wired to the device and plugged in, I understood the resistor wasn’t needed but Ring say it is and wnat to sell me one for £8

It seems that my 8V 1A (thus 8VA) transformer can charge the device (Vidoe Doorbell 3), as from the 90% yesterday evening now it is on 95% in the morning.

@Marley_Ring Community Manager We just got a Ring 3 and hardwired it and on app it shows hardwired. Our transformer is new 24Vac 20 volts. Our old ring doorbell would charge on new transformer when wired but not this one. Motion and live view are OFF as we have Lorex cams outside this doorbell is to notify someone in the house with hearing aids. We turned off everything we can. Our signal strength is Rssi -35 to -40 doorbell got rang 3x setting up app for hearing aids that was 3 days ago and battery level has not gone up at all just stays at 98%. And yes battery was charged to 100% before install. But ringing bell 3 days ago to set up hearing aids to ring dropped it to 98% and it has not gone up in 3 days??? This ring 3 is NOT charging in 3 days but shows charging on phone app. ps … I also removed everything and reinstalled the app and added ring3 again and it still sits at 98% charge and not charging. So do we have a bad ring 3 or bad battery?

Hi @Mojo2! With your battery remaining at 98% for 3 days and not dropping, it is likely receiving power for a trickle charge. The power supply you are using is certainly providing enough power. Keep in mind, adding more power does not equal a quicker charge as the rate of power pulled is still for a trickle charge.

The signal described looks great and number of events triggered on the device is minimal, which is a great way to maximize charge. The device is still in operation, maintaining network connection, and will usually update settings after a setup or feature change. This can all use battery power, and so if it is remaining at a level, that is a great indicator that some power is being applied.

The best results and recommend method of monitoring battery charge, is to monitor over several days and various battery levels. If you battery remains in the 90% area for awhile, this could be a good indicator that your Doorbell is receiving the necessary power to charge. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

From my homework on the ring site the last few days it says the ring 3 doorbell does not start to charge until battery level is below 90%. So I turned everything on the doorbell yesterday got it to 88% battery level and it started to charge. The doorbell got rung when it was @ 93% charge now its no longer charging which seems silly.

Hi @Mojo2! It looks like you are referencing our help center Video Doorbell charging guide. What you stated is correct, the Doorbell will not apply charge until it reaches 90%. As stated in the article, the power from wiring is not used for anything other than charging the battery. Doorbell functions and operation is powered by the battery, and once that battery drains to 90%, the trickle charge will start to replenish the battery.

1 Like

@Marley it does not start to charge until its below 90% it does not charge @ 90%

all your suggestions are checked. Still won’t charge. I have not had a problem with it for the last 9 months so what has changed?

Hi @ka311! If you have tried all of the suggestions mentioned here to no avail, it may require more in depth troubleshooting. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

My doorbell won’t work anymore. It seems like maybe the battery is dead, but it is hardwired. Did anyone here contact ring about this. I am not sure what to do.

So no fix for the doorbell 2 users? It was fine for a couple of years then it just couldn’t keep up on the hardwired charge. Are the new app features draining it?

Nope…probably because the New Ring Doorbell 3 is out.

How?

Got my ring doorbell 2 for Christmas, hardwired it to the doorbell wires which I checked with a multimeter and I have 19.5 volts AC, it was charging and staying at 100% for about a week, but today it is down to 73% and dropping about 1% an hour, a lot of people say it’s a firmware issue but I don’t know, it seems like this product is defective and will be going back unless support has a fix, not happy at this point.

I am having the same issue with my first generation doorbell. Is there a solution?

1 Like

I am having the same issue, installed mine in mid-December and I am not getting notifications of low battery and it is no longer charging when hard wired.

Please advise.

My Ring 3 Pro will not stay charged. Has not been able to keep up with the settings I have selected (the most active). XFMR is 2 amp 12-0-12 VAC CT. 24 VAC measured at the doorbell. This should be more than enough to charge the battery. My old Ring 1 without the battery never had power issues. It had connection issues. So does this one, but I guess that will be a different thread…
Why can’t this device keep a battery charged to accommodate the settings provided in the device’s own menu? Its like having a car that will only go 30 mph. Ring, you have to respond here. This is my second purchase, and I have to say neither have left me with a feeling of satisfaction.

Hi neighbors! If previous troubleshooting suggestions offered in this thread do not resolve your concern, I would recommend reaching out to our support team for further assistance. Our support team can pull up your account and offer more in-depth troubleshooting steps. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi all. I’m having the same issue with my Ring Door Bell 3 plus

It was charging and holding charge fine for about 3 months then a week ago I got a low battery warning. I checked the powers supply (24 v ac transformer) which is providing power. I charged the battery and removed / reinstalled the device on the app. It now sometimes shows ‘solar connected’ or ‘hard wired’ and is still losing charge.
It also is very slow to connect despite it being within 10 feet of the router and all our other (4) Ring cameras are working correctly and are further from the router.
Help please. I think my door bell has a fault.

My Video Doorbell 2 has been hardwired for a couple of years with no problems but in the last week it’s now showing as Battery and draining to flat. Nothing has changed on the power feed side. Has firmware broken it?!