Doorbell Pro 2 way audio issue

So happy those steps were helpful for you @Seb1410!

Back again after a bit more than a month with the same problem.

Polly parrot effect. Is there a way to contact customer support to ask for a replacement as this is really annoying and sounds like I have once again got something produced on a monday morning … Had to again reset the entire thing so now it works but I am not going to do this every month.

Strongly thinking of changing for the other brand as the overall experience is really not that great so far and especially as there is still no way to have the video feed automatically opened. Without giving any name, the other brand does it so why is it so difficult to get that basic functionnality added ??

1 Like

@Seb1410 , sorry to hear that this has occurred again for you. We appreciate the update and would agree that calling our support team is the best next step. They would be happy to take a further look into this to better understand what is occurring. Please keep us posted on how everything goes!

I am having the same problem. Brand new Ring Doorbell 2, had my first 2-way conversation and they were struggling to communicate with me. Everything they say is echoed back through the Android app back out to the Ring device. I have 3 devices.

1. OnePlus 5T running Android 9.
  2. Samsung Galaxy S10e running Android 9.
  3. Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 running Android 7.

The OnePlus 5T is the only affected device, which is interesting. I have stopped it occurring by disabling “OK Google” detection from any screen…frustrating but seems to be a phone issue rather than a Ring issue. I’ll raise a case with OnePlus to try get it fixed. I got the work around idea from this YouTube video for a OnePlus One.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed look at this concern @BitzerMaloney! I greatly appreciate this information and I am sure other neighbors using a OnePlus 5T phone will as well.

Thanks for being a great neighbor!

I have had the issue since day one and I have tried so many fixes with no luck. Transformer… Replacement unit… Reset it many times… uninstalled the app… Frustrating to purchase all of the equipment I have from Ring and can’t get this doorbell to work properly. Spotlight cams work great. The Floodlight cam worked great. Doorbell cam I purchased 4 years ago worked ok. I do believe you are onto something with the phone or the App being the issue. The playbacks on the website are flawless. Playbacks on my S10+ or Note 9 have so much digital noise you can’t hear the recording. Answering a live call is choppy/freezing video and digital noise/chirping whatever you want to call it. I just want to know who is supposed to address this? Ring? Android? Samsung? Someone needs to fix this. I have seen several posts in different forums for over a year with the same issue and there is still no fix. How come this hasn’t been fixed yet? I have seen several app updates and someone at Ring has to know something. Come on…

3 Likes

Hi @KP6Five, sorry to hear you are having audio concerns as well. Yours sounds a bit different with the Live View concerns included in your description. Do you have a video example you would like to include here with a Ring video share link? Also, what is the RSSI of your Doorbell Pro versus the other devices you have installed?

I have exact the same issues as described above!

New Ring Door View Cam - very less doorbell speaker volume not suitable for daily use!

The clue is: My problem startet after activating the new “event timeline viewer” in the app. Before the audio at the door cam was much louder.

This seems to be a samsung specific problem, and there exists at least on temporary solution (which imprives the speaker volume a lot, but not as much as it should be).

see here in the samsung forums they are discussing the issue here:

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-S10/Ring-doorbell-speaker-volume-very-low-if-answered-ring-from/td-p/554160/page/3

The fix is on the bottom of page 3 and following.

This audio problem is due to how samsung handles the microphone processing, and a change RING did with introducing the “event history timeline” feature. turn this new feature off in the RING app and the audio is much improved!!

I think whats going on is the following:

ring app uses different microphone API (or audio interface) settings if you are using the app with or without the timeline viewer. with the viewer, some of the newer Samsung phones have problems in microphone processing, maybe due to the two mics for noise cancellation. The “old” RING interface uses an other method of getting the phones microphone input as the new RING rinterface will do.

So the problem relates to RING and Samsung. They both would be able to fix it. Samsung has to work on the noise cancellation, RING app has to be redesigned to use the same audio method as before the new “timeline event viewer”.

Hope this helps, as to figure that out was very stressfull to me, and at least I’m glad that it is not hardeware related and there is a temporary “improvement-fix” (as even with this method the sound is less loud than using a iphone or any other brand, and you lose the comfort of the new timline viewer…)!

A method to check: even on the video recordings the own voice is very low, after disabling the timeline-event viewer the sound in the videos would much improve… This is the proof that the problem comes from the mobile stream which the app delivers!

1 Like

Hey, Good Day and thank you for the reply. I don’t think it really is different. I have read on multiple forums describing the same issue and watching other videos with the same noise and echo. A live call is even worse than the video I am posting today. The video I posted is from a live view. If you watch this call from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear. If you watch it from any Samsung phone I have (S10+ and Note 9) it is not usable. I work for Dell and worked in ProSupport for 2 years of my 12 and this is an app, android or specific phone issue. I know I’m not the only one to bring this up. I’m even more positive Ring has received plenty of these types of calls. I just need to get it fixed so I can use the doorbell.

RingVideo_20190708_085143.zip (2.44 MB)

2 Likes

I have to retract my statement… “If you watch the video from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear” I just checked it and it is the same. I still hear the digital noise on that video from my laptop. In the past that hasn’t been the case. I know Ring just did an update to the app 2 days ago. Not sure that has anything to do with this or not. Really don’t know where to go with this with the countless troubleshooting steps I have taken to repair this.

Hi, thank you also for your reply!

What I do not understand at your post: You wrote

“If you watch this call from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear. If you watch it from any Samsung phone I have (S10+ and Note 9) it is not usable.”

As far as I investigated the issue, it has nothing to do where you “watch” the video, the bad audio is generated at the recording. So it depends on how the device is configured (event timeline on or off) with which you answer the ring-call!

It has nothing to do with how you “watch” the recording afterwards. What you wrote can be missleading to some extent:

What do you mean with “ring site or server”? Do you mean to watch a recording? Because this is NOT the issue we are talking about… Or do you mean to watch the live-stream from the ring? There you do have no issue with “watching” as well, the problem is the audio recording on the mobile used, and has nothing to do with how you watch the recording afterwards…

Maybe you have an additional problem with watching the recordings, depending on the device used… But the problem we are talking is the different audio recording quality when timeline feature is turned on or off an samsung devices!

Best regards, Markus

to KP6Five

“I have to retract my statement…”

Our posts crossed out above… :wink:

OK, because that is what I meant, it does not depend on where you watch the videos, the choppy sound on samsung devices has to to with samsung noise cancelling, and the way the ring app gains the audio/mic signal differently depending on timeline feature turned on or off!!

This is already discussed in two other threads as well…

BR Markus

2 things I meant by this. First, when I did troubleshooting with the Ring support tech they told me on the backend looking at the video’s from their end they are clean. She logged into my account and looked at the video from her phone and got the same digital noise. Thus she sent me a replacement Ring Pro Doorbell. The new unit did the same thing. Second, in the past when I would log on to my internet account and watch the videos they would be clean as well. When I logged into my internet account today (Not on the Android phone app) you could hear the digital noise as well. In the past, this was not the case. I get the difference between making a video with the phone versus the doorbell logging a video. You can watch missed ring alerts from my account online and you still hear the digital noise in the video. Point is… they are both yielding the same results. What do we do now to fix this?

I apologize I didn’t address the “timeline” statement. I have had the timeline off as suggested early last week from someone on another forum. That has nothing to do with my volume or the digital noise you can hear. No change switching it off.

OK, thanks for the clarification!

Then we are maybe talking from different things… I have the problems with audio quality only with the recorded mic stream when timeline feature is turned on AND a newer samsung mobile is used. This is regardless on how the recorded video is watched… the audio is terrible watched on my mobile and on the website…

With timeline feature turned off, recorded mic quality is way better, but not ideal as well…

The same problem is experienced by a lot of people, there are threads here and on samsung forums about that!

From what you wrote I have no clue what causes your problems. As far as I understand you correctly, you have some “digital noise” even in the videos which have been recorded without the app involved (missed rings, motion alerts, …)! Therefore your problem has to be app-independant, and could be either a firmware (encoding) problem, or some sort of hardware related problem (which I don’t think). Also maybe the processing ring does with the videos could cause your issues, but then a whole more people should be affected. Even with firmware-problems more users should have it…

I wish you good luck with that, keep us informed how it goes!!

BR Markus

You’ve both done well to narrow down the variables and rule out many culprits of @KP6Five’s concern. I agree with @ML1504 , any audio feedback or interference of audio should not be occurring. This may be best to bring to the attention of our support team, they should be able to improve through additional troubleshooting.

so where’s the dang solution? I don’t see it and the “goto solution” button just takes you to another post simply saying “thanks @Riley_Ring for posting steps to resolve” but the steps to resolve are nowhere to be found. I have the same exact issue. worked fine on my Pro for 6+ weeks now no sounds goes out to the person ringing doorbell.

Also, FWIW, why is there no restart button within the app to restart the device instead of having to ridiculously unscrew the cover, hold reset button, then completely set it up again losing all previous info for the initial setup? A simply restart button within the app that won’t delete everything would be nice for this kind of money being spent on a 21st century doorbell button!

Signed,

Frustrated

8 Likes

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I’ll definitely share your thoughts and feedback with the team. Resetting seems to have been the solution for at least one neighbor here, and so it is referenced as an accepted soluton. If this does not resolve it, we recommend contacting support for more in depth troubleshooting.

Can you repost the solution? I am having the exact same issue. When I click on the link to go to the solution, it does not take me anywhere with a solution. Just back to the message boards… Thanks so much!

1 Like

wow… are you really telling me that everytime this happens, I have to take apart the install to reset the device?

Maybe I should have invested in something else instead of this nonsense. RIDICULOUS AT BEST!

1 Like