Doorbell Pro 2 way audio issue

Hey, Good Day and thank you for the reply. I don’t think it really is different. I have read on multiple forums describing the same issue and watching other videos with the same noise and echo. A live call is even worse than the video I am posting today. The video I posted is from a live view. If you watch this call from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear. If you watch it from any Samsung phone I have (S10+ and Note 9) it is not usable. I work for Dell and worked in ProSupport for 2 years of my 12 and this is an app, android or specific phone issue. I know I’m not the only one to bring this up. I’m even more positive Ring has received plenty of these types of calls. I just need to get it fixed so I can use the doorbell.

RingVideo_20190708_085143.zip (2.44 MB)

2 Likes

I have to retract my statement… “If you watch the video from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear” I just checked it and it is the same. I still hear the digital noise on that video from my laptop. In the past that hasn’t been the case. I know Ring just did an update to the app 2 days ago. Not sure that has anything to do with this or not. Really don’t know where to go with this with the countless troubleshooting steps I have taken to repair this.

Hi, thank you also for your reply!

What I do not understand at your post: You wrote

“If you watch this call from the Ring site or server it is crystal clear. If you watch it from any Samsung phone I have (S10+ and Note 9) it is not usable.”

As far as I investigated the issue, it has nothing to do where you “watch” the video, the bad audio is generated at the recording. So it depends on how the device is configured (event timeline on or off) with which you answer the ring-call!

It has nothing to do with how you “watch” the recording afterwards. What you wrote can be missleading to some extent:

What do you mean with “ring site or server”? Do you mean to watch a recording? Because this is NOT the issue we are talking about… Or do you mean to watch the live-stream from the ring? There you do have no issue with “watching” as well, the problem is the audio recording on the mobile used, and has nothing to do with how you watch the recording afterwards…

Maybe you have an additional problem with watching the recordings, depending on the device used… But the problem we are talking is the different audio recording quality when timeline feature is turned on or off an samsung devices!

Best regards, Markus

to KP6Five

“I have to retract my statement…”

Our posts crossed out above… :wink:

OK, because that is what I meant, it does not depend on where you watch the videos, the choppy sound on samsung devices has to to with samsung noise cancelling, and the way the ring app gains the audio/mic signal differently depending on timeline feature turned on or off!!

This is already discussed in two other threads as well…

BR Markus

2 things I meant by this. First, when I did troubleshooting with the Ring support tech they told me on the backend looking at the video’s from their end they are clean. She logged into my account and looked at the video from her phone and got the same digital noise. Thus she sent me a replacement Ring Pro Doorbell. The new unit did the same thing. Second, in the past when I would log on to my internet account and watch the videos they would be clean as well. When I logged into my internet account today (Not on the Android phone app) you could hear the digital noise as well. In the past, this was not the case. I get the difference between making a video with the phone versus the doorbell logging a video. You can watch missed ring alerts from my account online and you still hear the digital noise in the video. Point is… they are both yielding the same results. What do we do now to fix this?

I apologize I didn’t address the “timeline” statement. I have had the timeline off as suggested early last week from someone on another forum. That has nothing to do with my volume or the digital noise you can hear. No change switching it off.

OK, thanks for the clarification!

Then we are maybe talking from different things… I have the problems with audio quality only with the recorded mic stream when timeline feature is turned on AND a newer samsung mobile is used. This is regardless on how the recorded video is watched… the audio is terrible watched on my mobile and on the website…

With timeline feature turned off, recorded mic quality is way better, but not ideal as well…

The same problem is experienced by a lot of people, there are threads here and on samsung forums about that!

From what you wrote I have no clue what causes your problems. As far as I understand you correctly, you have some “digital noise” even in the videos which have been recorded without the app involved (missed rings, motion alerts, …)! Therefore your problem has to be app-independant, and could be either a firmware (encoding) problem, or some sort of hardware related problem (which I don’t think). Also maybe the processing ring does with the videos could cause your issues, but then a whole more people should be affected. Even with firmware-problems more users should have it…

I wish you good luck with that, keep us informed how it goes!!

BR Markus

You’ve both done well to narrow down the variables and rule out many culprits of @KP6Five’s concern. I agree with @ML1504 , any audio feedback or interference of audio should not be occurring. This may be best to bring to the attention of our support team, they should be able to improve through additional troubleshooting.

so where’s the dang solution? I don’t see it and the “goto solution” button just takes you to another post simply saying “thanks @Riley_Ring for posting steps to resolve” but the steps to resolve are nowhere to be found. I have the same exact issue. worked fine on my Pro for 6+ weeks now no sounds goes out to the person ringing doorbell.

Also, FWIW, why is there no restart button within the app to restart the device instead of having to ridiculously unscrew the cover, hold reset button, then completely set it up again losing all previous info for the initial setup? A simply restart button within the app that won’t delete everything would be nice for this kind of money being spent on a 21st century doorbell button!

Signed,

Frustrated

8 Likes

Sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I’ll definitely share your thoughts and feedback with the team. Resetting seems to have been the solution for at least one neighbor here, and so it is referenced as an accepted soluton. If this does not resolve it, we recommend contacting support for more in depth troubleshooting.

Can you repost the solution? I am having the exact same issue. When I click on the link to go to the solution, it does not take me anywhere with a solution. Just back to the message boards… Thanks so much!

1 Like

wow… are you really telling me that everytime this happens, I have to take apart the install to reset the device?

Maybe I should have invested in something else instead of this nonsense. RIDICULOUS AT BEST!

1 Like

Hi Twedlake and all others.

It took a bit of time but fingers crossed I am not having that poly parrot effect anymore. First step indeed was to reset the doorbell as there was no other option but I agree this is a workaround not a solution. Just in case :

Remove the front plate and hold down the black button on the right side for 15 seconds. After releasing it, the light on the front will flash a few times indicating that the device is restarting then re start the setup process all over again. Count down slowly otherwise you might perform a simple reset and issue will remain.

I contacted the support and shared some video with them. Even used my smartphone to record and show as this was more relevant than the videos recorded on the Ring cloud.

A while ago they told me that they have pushed an update to my doorbell and I must say that since then the issue is gone and the doorbell is now working as expected.

I suggest that you contact ring support and be patient. Martin was the one who replied back.

I am now hoping for some new improvements that should have been there since day one but this is on my whishlist and already raised. Otherwise I might switchover to the dark side and sell it.

Just if this can help here is their reply :

Hello Sebastien,

First and foremost, I would like to thank you for your patience and understanding while we worked towards improving this concern of yours. I have just recently pushed a new update to your Ringdevice. This update should improve the audio concerns that you have brought to our attention.

If your problem has been resolved no further action is needed on your behalf.

If not, please let us know by responding to this email and we will be more than happy to assist you further. Please note that we are still proactively working towards refining our echo cancellation and are always striving towards making our products the best that they can possibly be.

If you do not receive a response within 48 hours, please feel free to email Ring support at help@ring.com.

As always, you can reach us via phone at US +1(800) 656-1918 or INTL +1(310) 929-7085.

Alternatively, Chat agents are available via our website, www.ring.com.

Thank you for choosing Ring.

• Martin
2 Likes

Hi neighbors! Thank you for your patience. We have the team looking into this. This is only happening on Samsung devices? Thanks!

Samsung Note 8 user with zero 2-way functionality. Wife’s iPhone 6 works just fine. Frustrating.

I have had the feedback and low volume for quite some time. None of the fixes suggested seem to be helping. I was on the phone with a very nice Rep named Michelle for over an hour on this last call. I have terrible feedback, and the low volume didn’t change with the disabling of the event timeline. The only thing that helped SLIGHTLY was someone figured out to talk into the top speaker (it is a little hole) on my phone. It raised my voice a tiny bit, but I still have to talk extremely loud to make the person at the door understand. I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+

Thank you neighbors. Again, the team is looking into this and we appreciate your patience. I have seen some neighbors post that turning *off* the Timeline feature may help. I will continue to update this thread with information as it comes in. Thanks!

Thank you for your reply, but I tried the turning off the timeline feature and it did not help me.

I will wait for your notification of a fix.

Thanks again

1 Like

Wonder why these folks don’t seem to want to admit this has to do with android based phones.

My Ring Doorbell 2 device died after about 20 days use. I got a new one and with 0 changes other than a new device all my problems are going. So I assume it was a faulty device.