cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doorbell 2 not picking up motion

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've got a video doorbell 2 and recently the ring of lights around the doorbell button are staying on and the doorbell hasn't been picking up motion. I've tried taking the battery to reboot it and wiping it down. Neither has helped. The audio and video from the doorbell are both clear. Any ideas on what it could be?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Doorbell 2 not picking up motion

Hi @gblinckmann, thank you for reaching out in the Community to connect with your fellow neighbors! Is your Doorbell hardwired? Also, are you not seeing any "Motion Events" in your devices event history? 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yup, the doorbell is hardwired. The doorbell works fine as a doorbell. It's just the motion events that aren't there unless you physically touch the doorbell. The video is fine if you manually connect to the doorbell. It's not the app alerts. The doorbell just doesn't sense motion.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I'm having this same issue with my doorbell 1

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi neighbors, would you be open to sharing screenshots of what your motion settings look like in the app? Also, are either of your Doorbell's at the top of a set of stairs? 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have a similar problem, but it's intermittent.  For example, this morning the camera caught me pulling into the driveway, but not leaving.  Last night, it caught me returning from walking my dog, but not when I left.  It's been about a month of that.  It used to work fine and caputre all motion.  I haven't changed any settings in that time.  

Any ideas?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I am having a similar problem with the Doorbell Pro.

When we first set up the motion zones, we had it set to People Only and it picked us up backing of garage, but not pulling into driveway.  

We had constant alerts just from car headlights at night.  We tried various combinations of People Only, All Motion, redrawing the motion zones, etc., even set two different zones for driveway and the front door area, all to no avail.  It either picks up every passing car, or nothing unless someone actually rings the bell.

We also have a Floodlight Cam for the back of our house.  It is set to People Only, yet picks up the cat walking within the zone and this morning picked up the deer passing through.  Yet, just now when I left the house, the Doorbell Pro did not pick me up backing out of the driveway or pulling in (it's currently set to People Only because last night it went off more than 20 times in about 2 hours just from headlights or something else I couldn't see).

This is not useful to us as is.  I simply can't imagine that our set up or environment is so different from everyone else.  I'm very disappointed and am very close to asking for a refund and returning this device.  What is the solution?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Why is it that my ring doorbell 2 will pick up a car passing my house but will not pick up a person until they get halfway up my driveway

New Neighbor

I got the ring 2 and while it activated it when I saw nothing there it did not ring when someone was right at door ringing bell. It is not hardwired

Highlighted
New Neighbor

/* */