Doorbell 2 not picking up motion

I’ve got a video doorbell 2 and recently the ring of lights around the doorbell button are staying on and the doorbell hasn’t been picking up motion. I’ve tried taking the battery to reboot it and wiping it down. Neither has helped. The audio and video from the doorbell are both clear. Any ideas on what it could be?

Hi @gblinckmann, thank you for reaching out in the Community to connect with your fellow neighbors! Is your Doorbell hardwired? Also, are you not seeing any “Motion Events” in your devices event history?

Yup, the doorbell is hardwired. The doorbell works fine as a doorbell. It’s just the motion events that aren’t there unless you physically touch the doorbell. The video is fine if you manually connect to the doorbell. It’s not the app alerts. The doorbell just doesn’t sense motion.

I’m having this same issue with my doorbell 1

Hi neighbors, would you be open to sharing screenshots of what your motion settings look like in the app? Also, are either of your Doorbell’s at the top of a set of stairs?

I have a similar problem, but it’s intermittent. For example, this morning the camera caught me pulling into the driveway, but not leaving. Last night, it caught me returning from walking my dog, but not when I left. It’s been about a month of that. It used to work fine and caputre all motion. I haven’t changed any settings in that time.

Any ideas?

I am having a similar problem with the Doorbell Pro.

When we first set up the motion zones, we had it set to People Only and it picked us up backing of garage, but not pulling into driveway.

We had constant alerts just from car headlights at night. We tried various combinations of People Only, All Motion, redrawing the motion zones, etc., even set two different zones for driveway and the front door area, all to no avail. It either picks up every passing car, or nothing unless someone actually rings the bell.

We also have a Floodlight Cam for the back of our house. It is set to People Only, yet picks up the cat walking within the zone and this morning picked up the deer passing through. Yet, just now when I left the house, the Doorbell Pro did not pick me up backing out of the driveway or pulling in (it’s currently set to People Only because last night it went off more than 20 times in about 2 hours just from headlights or something else I couldn’t see).

This is not useful to us as is. I simply can’t imagine that our set up or environment is so different from everyone else. I’m very disappointed and am very close to asking for a refund and returning this device. What is the solution?

Why is it that my ring doorbell 2 will pick up a car passing my house but will not pick up a person until they get halfway up my driveway

2 Likes

I got the ring 2 and while it activated it when I saw nothing there it did not ring when someone was right at door ringing bell. It is not hardwired

Doorbell 2 not picking up motion

I am having the same issue. All of a sudden there are no push notifications on my phone. As well as no history of events. I can go to the live camera it is just fine. Nothing has changed network wise. It is not hard-wired but the battery is fine. Great signal, etc. Everything you could think of. I would just reinstall the app, but there is nothing in history??

Mine does the same thing. It will pick up my car pulling in the driveway, but never me walking up to the door. Or, it will go off when the doorbell is pressed, but it didn’t pick up when the person walked up to the door. Or it will pick up my flag waving, but no people. It’s very frustrating. It’s really becoming useless for me.

Mine is battery powered, not hardwired.

Same here! Recently it has started picking up motion outside of the zone, but I get no notification and no recording in history in my dashboard for people actually standing right in front of the stupid thing! Settings werent changed. Hardwired. This doorbell 2 is the most useless pos

I agree. My system is set to receive alerts but alerts never happen. They used to. Back in January I got an alert just in time to watch a person kick in my neighbors door. Now. No alerts at all. When Ring introduced modes it completely messed up motion alerts. If Ring could backtrack the features about 8 months that would be perfect. Modes DO NOT WORK. It leaves serious security concerns. Modes would be great if they could be scheduled and actually displayed alerts. It would be great if I could send a message to Ring support. Nope I am forced to ask a robot then sent here to community forums of consumers. SMH.

Hey neighbors! For motion detection concerns, this can typically be resolved by looking at the positioning of the Doorbell and the settings within the Ring App. I’d suggest taking a look at this Help Center Article on the proper placement and positioning of the Doorbell 2 here. After ensuring the placement is good to go, I’d recommend looking at how to adjust the motion settings here. You may need to play around with the settings a bit to find what works best for you, as everyone’s situation will be different.

Should you still have concerns, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to work directly with you to make any changes to ensure the motion detection is working optimally. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. Feel free to report back on what support recommends if you reach out, as it may help other neighbors! :slight_smile: