Doorbell 2 Height vs Detection distance

Hi all.

I have previously posted on here about late detection of people when approaching my door. I’ve tried everything possible to get the best outcome, but video playback shows them pretty much at the door when the doorbell detects them.

After looking at the article describing the perfect installation height of 48" https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002548086-Proper-Positioning-for-your-Ring-Video-Doorbell the picture shows a man and his dog (in blue), with the dog in the high motion sensitivity zone. The next picture it shows is of the doorbell being too high and therefore the chance of picking up the heat/motion of the car, but with the high motion sensitivity zone NOW being in the ideal place for my particular setup. The path to my house is around 30 feet from the front door, and then a driveway which is another 25ft to the road.

My question would be, for my particular setup would I be better off installing it 6-8" higher so that the motion sensitivity zone is further away from my front door?So that way it would detect people quicker? Also I’d use People only mode so it doesn’t detect cars.

I think the diagrams are misleading, as in some peoples approaches to their house are not short like suggested.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Rob.

1 Like

Hi @Hugo. Could you attach a screenshot from your Live View of what your setup looks like so the neighbors in the Community can make the best suggestions for your questions? Additionally, you can include a share link from one of your videos as well so we can see what you see! Everyone’s home is different so giving us a visual will help tremendously. :smiley_cat:

Hi Chelsea.

Thanks for getting back to me. Appreciated.

Since my original message, I have removed the doorbell angle side wedge and installed the camera flat on the surface so now it’s facing directly outwards, as opposed to facing the entry gate (which is a few meters over to the right hand side). This does seem to have improved detection, essentially as people now come more across the sensors rather than straight on. I’m still doing some investigating, and if I have any further issues I’ll get right back to you.

Many thanks for your time.

Regards,

Rob.

1 Like

@Hugo This is so amazing to hear! I’m happy to hear that the motion detection seems to have improved. We always love good news, so awesome job getting that back to how you want it. :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Glad to see it working better for you. I’ve said many times to people that it really needs people to cross the front instead of directly ahead. I guess people see better straight on so they expect the video to as well. Some animals need movement to see better. So crossing the camera has a much better pickup.

2 Likes

Hey Eagle328.
I love the way you explained that, and it is very true!! It’s definitely picking up motion a bit better, not as much as I would like but an improvement ??
Thx

2 Likes