Does doorbell only work when pressed?

Hi. I setup my new video doorbell (gen 2) and have all the motion settings on, but it does not send me alerts. I have guys cutting my grass right now, walking back and forth. I can even see them on the capture image, but I haven’t received a notification on motion detection. My security camera has detected motion.

Is the doorbell only suppose to work if the chime button is pressed???

Hey @mehanalways. You should still get motion alerts when there is motion detection! Have you ensured that you have Motion Alerts turned on and the Doorbell is not in a Disarmed mode? Do you see motion events in your event history, but aren’t getting a notification of this? If this is the case, let me know what kind of phone you have and what OS it’s running please! :slight_smile:

Hi. There’s no motion history for the device, besides me going live. I up’ed all the settings to max (max alerts, max frequency) and it finally sent me one. My door is on the side of the house, so there’s no motion unless a random cat walks by. So I don’t think it needs to be set that high, but it doesn’t detect unless it’s on max.

@mehanalways Thanks for getting back to me! You said people were cutting the grass and walking back and forth though, correct? Could you show me a screenshot of what your Live View looks like? We may have to look into some placement adjustments to help with the Motion Detection as well! Happy to make some suggestions for that. :slight_smile:

Hello,

You may need to set up Motion Zones for your Ring. Check this Ring help article.

Walter in Davie, FL

2 Likes

Attached is a pic of my Live View. I have the left zone, where the window is, turned off. I changed the motion sensor to high with frequent notification. I went outside three times and my outside camera detected me each time (it’s around the corner). But the doorbell only detected motion once; when I stood in front of the door for about 10 seconds to clear off some cobwebs. The way my door is positioned, no one should be back here, so I’d like an alert on any motion.

@mehanalways, chiming in for Chelsea here! Thank you for sharing that screenshot with us. The Doorbell looks to be in a very enclosed area, which is going to impact the motion detection quite a bit. I’d recommend taking a look at this Help Center Article here, which goes over optimal positioning for the Doorbell. In addition, you may want to look into a Wedge Kit and a Corner Kit, as these will help you adjust the view of the Doorbell.

If repositioning the Doorbell doesn’t improve the motion detection, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They can explore all options available and take a closer look at the situation for you. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support. If you contact support, feel free to let us know what they recommend as it may help other neighbors! :slight_smile: