Disable night vision on Ring Pro video doorbell

Ok i wait with baited breath thanks for the response

I do have a ring doorbell pro my night vision ruins my picture totally it used to work fine when they added the color night it looked like day because my yard is lit up with some kind of firmware update they had ruined it! so all They need to do is make another button to turn on IR night vision or turn it off that would solve everybody’s problem I don’t know why ring has to be so stubborn it’s causing me to want to go to another company and I’m about ready to.

1 Like

I’m wondering if Ring braintrust understands that people aren’t spending this amount of money for a doorbell … but security at night with decent quality picture. How difficult can it be to add a software feature to all Doorbell owners to shut off night vision? You know Ring will have that feature in their next generation Doorbell so why not now. I have that option in my $25 Wyze camera, by the way. Love Ring, but …

I’ve been asking the on Twitter and still not getting real answer. They refuse to tell me why they won’t do it. I even tweeted, their CEO, and still no answer. <br>Link below, screenshot attached. <a href=“https://twitter.com/billdaly/status/1248371846044680192?s=21” target="_blank">https://twitter.com/billdaly/status/1248371846044680192?s=21</a>

By the way, they won’t allow me to have the CEOs name on my reply. Unreal. It would let my reply go through until his name was removed.

Agreed… I’ve hit ‘em up on Twitter as well. They refuse to give a straight up answer as why they won’t offer it

Hi neighbors. As stated, we have past this information along to the appropriate team, with complete emphasis, that this is a want from the Community. The team agrees this is an interesting request and I am hopping on a call with them tomorrow to discuss. More information to come, so stay tuned.

I would also like to take this opportunity, that if you share a ‘want’ it is better off placing it in the Feature Request Board and ‘kudo’ing’ the post. The more kudo’s a post has, the more we can gauge the desire of this across the board vs neighbors continuing to voice their opinion in a single thread. Also, it does no good to take your frustrations out on the Community team members. We have your best interest at heart and please know we are working behind the scense to send over top requests to the team on a daily basis. We will continue to be the voice of the neighbor, but in return we apprecaite your respect and patience with us. We’ve outlined this as well in the Community Guidelines and will take necessary actions for neighbors who violate the guidelines. Thank you.

3 Likes

Jennifer,

Thanks a million for your feedback, looking forward to the outcome of your call.

In the meantime can everyone who has posted to this forum please give a thumbs up to the following Feature Request post:
https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Option-to-turn-off-Night-Vision-on-Ring-Cameras/idi-p/27142

4 Likes

Thanks MattMan,

I upvoted the request, everyone who has posted on here should as well!!

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Option-to-turn-off-Night-Vision-on-Ring-Cameras/…

2 Likes

I voted too!

2 Likes

Thank you @MattMan + neighbors for upvoting the post! Great way to track our neighbors requests :slight_smile:

The call with the team went over very well. I STRESSED that this is a top request within the Community and our neighbors. The team will continue to investigate the scope of work for this. As of right now, I do not have any futher information, but will continue to update you here, when I do. Please note, that this may not happen overnight, but I will continue to work with the team to prioritize disabling night vision on doorbells and continue to be the voice of the neighbor internally. I hope this helps. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Jennifer_Ring, we look forward to further positive feedback that this feature will get implemented.

regards

Matt

2 Likes

Thank you for being an advocate of our poor investment Appreciate this very much

Jennifer, How did your call go Thursday? What came out if it? Anything significant? Any action items come out of it regarding this issue?

I’m amazed that it’s taking this long for what appears to be a simple binary switch. Do we know when the next major release will be ready?? Do you have a beta program?

1 Like

I totally agree; the night vision colorization is a useless feature! It colorizes some light sources like lamp posts and windows, but doesn’t help to see any objects because it is in IR-mode.

How hard can it be for Ring to add a switch disabling the IR-mode, that is completely useless (or better: a hindrance) in a well-lit street? And, to my opinion, IR is fairly useless in general because the IR LED’s are too weak to enlighten anything beyond three feet distance.

1 Like

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible for a physical reason why Ring cannot add the ability to turn off night vision, even with a firmware upgrade? For example, could they have put it on a separate chip that cannot be controlled by a firmware upgrade?

I’m trying to figure out why Ring has not corrected this yet. We are not asking for a feature. It’s not a want, as one of the managers claimed. It’s a BUG FIX! Our Ring doorbells are not operating as advertised. They are defective. Ring shows their doorbell being able to capture useable video at night, and that’s not what’s happening. We know why. We know what would fix it. But for some reason, Ring refuses to address the problem.

I’m getting the very same problem as everyone else here. When night vision turns itself on, whatever is closest to the doorbell looks white (regardless of its true color), and everything else is black with a few dots here and there from houses with their lights on. But as soon as I cover the infrared lights, bingo! I have a decent video again where I can see all the way to the street and beyond.

The night vision is mistakingly using the closest object to set the lighting levels. The close object is set to extreme white (regardless of its true color) and the midtones are set extremely dark. almost black. The result is an image with a glaringly white object and everything else black or nearly black. This is not how night vision is supposed to work.

We want night vision turned off because it’s broken. If it worked right, we wouldn’t have this problem.

In the last 2 days, I’ve talked with Ring’s customer service for several hours, with the last few hours talking with a supervisor. He’s a nice person, but he has no knowledge of how Ring doorbells work. His latest suggestion was to turn the infrared lights to the lowest setting, something he says that he can do, but neither I nor the regular customer service reps could do. The effect? He turned off the color vision – which we all know is a setting in the Ring app. And, of course, the instant I removed the tape covering the infrared lights, the video went black again. I regained video when I put the tape back on.

I also did the flashlight trick someone else suggested in this thread. When I shined the light at the doorbell, I could hear an audible click as the night vision shut off. But when I removed the light, I got 1-2 seconds of video and then click, the night vision turned itself back on which destroyed my video.

The next step the Ring supervisor said he’d do is send me a replacement doorbell. I’ll take it with the very slim hope that the night vision setting is less sensitive on the replacement doorbell and won’t turn itself on at night – but I’m not holding my breath.

The problem is in the design of these doorbells. It is a design flaw. And I question whether it can be fixed with a firmware upgrade. I suspect not. And I suspect Ring knows this which is why they have not addressed this problem. And if I’m right, it means that Ring has knowingly and intentionally left us hanging with defective devices. How else can they explain not fixing this defect in a year?

https://share.ring.com/ee2b6182-d5f7-460b-96d9-8c9229109aee.mp4

2 Likes

Time for a clalss action lawsuit against ring eh???

Hi neighbors! We take your feedback very seriously and have shared it with our teams, and continue to share it.

Low light adjustment for any lens is often dependent upon the lighting in the area. Our devices feature night vision adjustment which should help in most environments. For well lit areas, the color night vision feature will help to brighten or add hue to the picture.

As every entry way is unique, we like to provide various solutions for neighbors to obtain what they are looking for. Any obstructions in view of the lens might affect focal point, field of view, and adjustment. For scenarios like these, I recommend looking into our wedge or corner kits on our accessories page, if settings have not helped.

Covering your entry way is a great start at obtaining a true “Ring of security”, but if you are looking to cover beyond certain obstructions we recommend checking out one of our Security Cams as well! We are always working to add to and improve our neighbor experience, and will be sure to update the Community with anything new we hear from our teams! Smiley Happy

Seriosuly Marley, but that response beggars belief.

“We like to provide various solutions for neighbours to optain what they are looking for”

Eh no you don’t we just want the ability to turn off the night light !

“I recommend looking into our wedge or corner kits on our accessories page”

This is almost hilarious, you want people to spend more money on something that is quite expensive for what it provides which simply does not work.

“we recommend checking out one of our Security Cams”

Again why on earth would one consider purchasing another cam when the one we have already does not work as advertised. !

56 People so far have requested this feature:
https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Option-to-turn-off-Night-Vision-on-Ring-Cameras/idc-p/27490#M294

Please anyone else posting to this forum thread add your vote to this feature request. Even though as noted before it’s really a bug fix not a feature request !

4 Likes