Disable night vision on Ring Pro video doorbell

I am going to try the tape method tonight. I also chatted with Ring support and they said nothing they can do and they would submit a suggestion to their engineering team to add the option to turn off night vision, but that was months ago. I agree the color toggle is useless.

I used to use a LogiCircle camera that had the option to disable night view. Because of the light outside at night in front of my house, the normal color view at 1080p was perfect. I replaced the camera with a Ring2 doorbell. Now it’s all black and white with no option to turn off night vision? What a waste of money. The firmware should be upgraded with this option. Will that ever happen?? With the current technology, this should’ve been standard on these Ring Doorbell Cameras.

My Ring2 doorbell is brand new and hardwired and no option to disable night vision. For the price of these devices, it should be standard.
Very disappointed. If it doesn’t change with a firmware update, I may consider returning this thing. Any chance this will change?

1 Like

Ring,

Please implement a feature to disable this IR night vision or scheduled Night vision.

It turns on whenever someone blocks my porch light and doesn’t go back on, having the video quality severely compromised for the rest of the night. My only solution to this is to point a flashlight to the sensor to turn the IR sensor off.

I expect much more from a product this expensive and a company as big as ring. Fix this in the next update please!

1 Like

Ring main number FLOOD them with CALLS !

1-800-656-1918

I am going to call 2 times a day until they write the update into the device or shove it where the sun does not shine. I am tired of the inferior quality of this way overpriced device.

3 Likes

I agree! There is absolutely no logical reason for Ring to not allow us to disable night vision. Some of us have enough ambient light and don’t need night vision. Having night vision turned on actually decreases video quality.

1 Like

It’s really strange that it’s not offered. The only devices I have that offers it is my indoor and outdoor cams that just came out end of last year. It should not be hard to add that feature.

1 Like

Even my $20 Wyze Cam 2 offers it. I’ve recommended the Wyze to friends.
It’s a Great value!

3 Likes

there is a hack to disable the night vision but requires a fiber optic cable and runing it up to your porch light and taping it to the bulb of the porch light and taping the other end to the side of the camera on the doorbell and the night vision will see the small light and kick off and stay off until you turn your porch light off then it will kick back on.

I seen this in a youtube video on one of there flood light firmware version where there was a glitch with the night vision not kicking off when the flood lights kick on.

just a FYI you could try this and see if it hepls?

I completely agree with you. I just installed my Doorbell Pro and the picture is horrible with night vision on. Covering up the IR with tape helps and I can see all the way down the street… but why would I do that to a $250 device?!

Ring should provide this feature to turn off night vision… Auto or Off. SImple as that.

1 Like

I’ve had my Ring Pro doorbell for almost 3 years and I’m still waiting for Ring to add Auto/Off/Schedule for the IR night mode. This is a feature my 7-yr-old Foscam cameras have had since the beginning.

Let’s get with the program (literally), Ring. It obviously can’t be that difficult.

1 Like

Even sadder is that RING knows we are complaining and responds with a canned statement now and then. I feel ripped off on this piece of crap. sheesh!!

Yes a fiber cable would work but the bigger question is WHY cant they write a program and update the firmware ? ?

I agree at night the camera is useless with the IR LEDS on. I got a notice tonight that someone was at my door. Checked the app, but couldn’t see anything (WHEN I NEED IT AT NIGHT!!!). Once the Amazon guy took a picture of the package at the front door, the flash from the camera turned off the LED’s on my Ring “Semi” PRO and I was able to see perfectly with the street lights. Maybe since RING doesn’t allow a way to turn them off, I can put a sign up “If you are here to do something bad to my house, please take a picture of the front door first so my sophisticated door bell can see you”…So Dumb!!! I might just return this thing very sad!!!

I basically have the same lighting as shown in the App, Select Video Settings and the quality is no where near image shown in app for video quality. I have tested the WiFi at dorrbell (Pro) and the signal is apps 117 mbps. Can’t even get a clear image of someone in my lawn 20-25 feet away. I tried both settings, color and b&w.

Yea the night vision on my Ring 2 leaves a LOT to be desired, especially with my porch light being on.

I am thinking of going with the Pro, mainly for the better recording of motion detection. I am tired of only seeing the tail end of events with the 2. I’m hoping the night vision will be better as well.

I’d think about Nest but since Google purposely broke the link with Alexa, it’s a no go.

Hi,

I have a Ring Pro with fiber internet 300 up 300 down. Awesome networking system installed in my home. The Pro is no better and Ring and it;s suppport and the forum is of no use. There are problems with the IR emitter in the pro as well. Ring has received a ton of comments on the need to have more flexibility to turn on and turn off features. NOT ONE FERAKING RESPONSE to say sue it is our device and we can support the re write of the programming < NEVER HAPPENED. Save your money and get something different this is an overpriced piece of junk with NO SUPPORT for features…

Hi neighbors! We appreciate the continued feedback on your night vision experiences. Rest assured we are always sharing these details with out teams here for future consideration.

If you have a Video Doorbell Pro or Elite, the Color Night Vision option will allow for more adjustment in low light conditions, or even bright environments in which you would like night vision not to enable. Check out our help center article about Color Night Vision to learn more.

For those with a battery powered Video Doorbells, the best way to fine tune the low light adjustment would be to add light to the area. If you feel the night vision is not operating as intended, I recommend reaching out to our support team for more in-depth troubleshooting.

Marley,

Really appreciate finally getting a response from someone official.

However the help article you point at does not resolve the problems that most of us are having.
The key problem is we are not provided an option to turn on/off infra-red lights completely. In situations where there is sufficient ambient light to record, the ring doorbell for some reason thinks there isn’t and turns on infra red lights which effecively then over-lights any subjects that come up to the camera and they are awash with so much infra red lighting the image is a complete blur.

So please indicate to the development team that we would all like a toggle to simple enable/disable infra red night vision, similar to the toggle the help document refers to for enabling/disabling color night vision.

See the attached image, top screen shot shows color night vision enable and working beaufifully, then suddenly infra red kicks in the image is virtually useless !

Thank you.

Marley, Color Night Vision does nothing for me with Doorbell Pro because the IR is washing away the picture. The issue is the IR illuminating a nearby object and the camera color/brightness focuses to only that object. For me, it’s my wall. Color or no color. I can’t see past the first 6 feet. Please raise awareness to the Ring team about disabling the IR or disabling the light sensor that turns on the IR. My Doorbell Pro is useless at night!

PS: Don’t tell the porch pirates/burglers about my faulty doorbell. They might pick on me next…