Consistently Recording every 15 minutes; motion alert recordings with no visible motion.

I’ve seen many similar threads but I didn’t spot any actual answers so I’ve started a new one.

We’ve had a Ring Video Doorbell for several months and it’s been working great. The other day after I charged the battery and reinstalled it, RING started recording motion alerts every 15 minutes on the dot. I.E.: Literally at 1131, 1146, 1201, 1216, 1231 etc… all day and night catching while no motion that I can see in the recording. (And that’s far too consistant to be random.)

BUT! It gets wierder:

…when it actually catches motion ( ie a dog walker or passing car) it stops doing these 15 minute consistant recordings for a ~couple hours but after a time, starts recording every 15 minutes again.

I tried resetting to no avail. Tried all Modes…I’m about to rip it off the wall and throw it away.

Anyone else have this issue? Thoguhts?

Thanks!

David S.

Hi @Schroeders_DandR. Thank you for taking the time to go into detail on what you’re experiencing with your Doorbell. It seems like something in the Doorbell’s view may be impacting its ability to properly detect motion. For reference, you can learn more about how motion detection in Ring devices works by reviewing our Help Center Article here. Would you mind sharing a screenshot of your Motion Zones, motion sensitivity slider, and Motion Frequency from the Ring App? I’d be happy to take a look and see if I can get to the bottom of what’s going on. :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for responding.

I just found the sensitivity setting menu, I missed it. Hope this helps. We’ll see.

I still find it odd that Before my last battery recharge, it was working perfectly. even with the trees and sunlight in the field of view (see pic) , the motion rarely set it off over the past 6 months it’s been installed

What’s strange how it’s recording every 15 minutes _precisely. _All day and night. Teh cycle gets postponed when actual motion like a car or pedestrian goes by for about 2hours, then the every 15min recording cycle starts again.

Cheers

-David S.

@Schroeders_DandR Thanks for sharing that screenshot with me. You can find the Motion Zones and motion sensitivity in the Ring App > Main Menu > Devices > Doorbell > Motion Settings > Motion Zones. The Motion Frequency setting will be under the Motion Settings header as well. What type of reset have you performed on the Doorbell? I’d highly suggest a full reset and fresh setup of the Doorbell. To reset it entirely, you’ll want to hold down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. Once that’s complete, you can walk through a fresh setup in the Ring App by following the steps under Set Up a Device. You’ll then be walked through setting up your Motion Zones and other settings again as well.

Thank you. I found the proper settings right after I posted… it already seems to have helped.

1 Like