Connecting Ring Pro to your existing Intercom System Door Chime

I figured out a way to connect the Ring Pro with the Nutone, Music & Sound, and Audiotech Intercom Systems Door Bell Chimes. My kit also will send power to your old front door speaker location. You can contact me.
Thanks, Darrell Brock (Wirenutman)

Hi @Wirenutman, thanks for being a part of the Community. We removed the personal information you included in this post as our guidelines do not allow for this. We would enjoy for you to share the steps that worked for you with the entire Community though!

Sure, What’s on your mind?

Hi Darrell.

I am about to start a similar project so I can integrate my Ring Pro with my KSU (phone system/intercom). Can you tell us more about your project? Are you willing to share your project?

Cheers.

-Jon

Jon, This Kit was designed for intercom systems but will also work with some phone systems. If your door speaker can be triggered by dry contacts or a relay, Then it could work.
Darrell

Cool. This sounds like what I’m looking for.

I have a Nutone 5006 series intercome.

The 5006 will work the Ring Pro and my kit.

How does one go about obtaining your kit?

What is it that you would like me to share?

Reading between the lines of your original post, it sounds like this kit is something you want to sell, but I wasn’t 100% sure about that. I didn’t know if it was really just a schematic that you were wanting to share with people or if you were wanting to sell it. Sorry if I didn’t understand your original intention.

I am interested in it, and I’d like to hear more about the kit – what all is in the kit, how it connects to the Ring Pro, how much you’re asking for it, etc…

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi @Marley_Ring. Thanks for the reply. Could you please tell me more about the “finder relay”? Are you saying it’s a relay made by Finder (I did a quick Google search and found the Finder company)…?

I was thinking of doing something like using a full wave rectifier, a small filter capacitor and a relay. I’d put the rectifier in series with the Ring Pro – the rectifier could then convert the 24 VAC into 24 VDC to drive the relay when enough current flows through the circuit. I’d configure the Ring Pro to think there was either a normal door bell or an electric door bell in series with the Ring Pro. This way, when the button on the Ring Pro is pressed, it would allow more current through the circuit, and in turn, the relay would turn on. However, the trick would be to find a relay that needs a fair amount of current in order to energize, otherwise it would simply always be energized.

Another thought would be to do something similar as above, but instead of using a relay, use a voltage divider, then have an Arduino or ESP8266 or such monitor the voltage divider. When it sees the voltage increase, it would know that the button on the Ring Pro was being pressed.

Unfortunately, life right now is very crazy (with work and with raising a family), so I have very little time to investigate options such as above. I’d love to have a solution, but I think it might be a while before I can find one. I did post a request in another thread on this board (a thread where someone from Ring was taking suggestions for future products, etc), and I mentioned that it would be nice to have a little box that could go in series with the Ring Pro, and the box would have dry contact closure outputs (basically, the outputs of a relay).

I’m open to suggestions on how I might find a solution to my problem. Do you have any other ideas on what I could try?

Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

Hi @Marley_Ring.

Thank you every so much for the information. I’ll go get one of those Finder relays and see how it works. I’ll post my findings here. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, and have a great day!

-Jon

1 Like

Sure thing. What do you want to know? Why would anyone give up their home intercom system when it can be integrated with the Nest Hello or Ring Pro? The electronic chime from these home intercoms rings all the room, patio, and ceiling speakers throughout the house. It’s very cost effective and you don’t need any extra plugin devices. Makes since to me.
Cheers & Beers!!
dB

I found a very instructive YouTube video titled “Connecting a Ring Pro Video Doorbell to the electronic chime in a Nutone intercom” dated 8/20/2018. It explains (shows): How doorbells work in general and are wired; how to wire up a Ring Video Pro to a regular doorbell; AND how to wire up a Ring Video Pro to a Nutone intercom in a manner that still causes to Nutone Chime to play when the button on the Ring Video Pro is pressed.

The video is quite instructive and the process does not appear to be complicated. I don’t have anything to try to sell to anybody, so I’m just going to try to explain it to you below.

You must purchase an AC Relay to act as a “trigger” for the chime on the intercom system (that’s all that the doorbell pushbutton you have now does, but by attaching the Ring Video Pro to those old doorbell wires, you’re effectively removing that “trigger” that used to send a signal back to play the chimes. so this relay serves as a new “trigger” to start the intercom’s chimes to play). The video includes a screenshot from Amazon showing a 24V AC Relay that can do this and it’s under $10.00.

If you happen to also have an actual 16-24v doorbell transformer (your intercom doesn’t have one), then you may not need to buy anything else. [I’ll add here that I’ve seen a few posts from folks saying that sometimes a 16v transformer isn’t quite enough with the Video Pro, but they also report that a 24v transformer works great.]

However, if (like me) you have only the intercom (mine is a Nutone IM3003) system with its chime and NO separate doorbell transformer, then you’ll need to get a transformer, too. Again, the video includes a screenshot of an appropriate (24V 40VA) AC transformer that’s only about $20.00. (I found a different one on Amazon with the same specs, but that comes with 25’ of wire already neatly attached. It’s not much more & saves a little work).

That video includes hand drawn electrical diagrams for all three of the wiring possibilities noted above, along with showing him testing with a multimeter during the video to illustrate what’s going on, so you can really learn, rather than just following a list of steps, but not really understanding what you’re doing.

What I don’t understand is why Ring doesn’t offer an optional product that combines such a relay and a transformer in one little box and sell it for $29.99? Lord knows the parts would be cheap enough to buy in volume and the wiring is simple.

While watching that video, I took some screenshots to help me remember what to do (and buy), then I plugged those into a Word document with a few minimal “reminder” annotations, then made it a pdf file.

Thinking you may find it useful, I’ve attached a copy of that pdf file here. But I know it’s going to be better if you’ll find and watch that video itself.

So you’ll know: I didn’t make the video and I don’t know they guy who did. It just seemed good to me.

Install Ring Video Pro Doorbell to Work With Electronic Intercom System.pdf (616 KB)

2 Likes

Sorry, I forgot one other thought I wanted to mention.

Because we have fairly frequent power outages here, my router already is plugged into a relatively inexpensive battery backup (Amazon branded 800VA). Now, the transformer I’m using with the Video Pro will also be plugged into that same battery backup.

That way, I think both essential elements of that system should stay up for at least a few hours when we have a power outage.

1 Like

First of all, Ring or Nest Hello have no real interest in providing a way to connect your existing intercom system door chime to their system. It’s pure economics. If that’s not enough, How about connecting old technology with new technology? This isn’t the 60’s, 70’s, or even the 80’s. Everything is possible within reason. I can park a 747 on my mailbox if I choose. Practical? Of course not. I figured out a way to connect Ring Pro, Ring 2, Nest Hello, and Energizer to any existing intercom door chime. I also provide phone support. Yes, I do charge for this kit, but I make it as easy as possible for anyone to install it. Kit, wiring diagram, phone support, All for $129.00.

dB

@pdalton wrote:

Sorry, I forgot one other thought I wanted to mention.

Because we have fairly frequent power outages here, my router already is plugged into a relatively inexpensive battery backup (Amazon branded 800VA). Now, the transformer I’m using with the Video Pro will also be plugged into that same battery backup.

That way, I think both essential elements of that system should stay up for at least a few hours when we have a power outage.

pdalton – Thanks for the info and the reference to the YouTube video. Sounds similar to what I ended up doing (I did end up using two 24VAC relays – one to feed into my Panasonic KSU (as a doorbell button), and the other as a dry contact closure fed into an ESP8266).

Maybe someday in my (*cough*) copious amounts of spare time I will create an Instructable… :wink:

Again, thank you for the information! :slight_smile:

-Jon

I did essentially what you were asking. I connected a Ring to my existing Nutone intercom chime by using a relay to drive the doorbell button contacts.

I used a finder relay 40.31.8.024.0000 , That’s a 24 V AC relay.

I used the ring powerkit V2 and put it in bypass mode. That uses the connector on the side and not the push in wires. Relay energizes, whenever the button is pressed.

Hi all

Late to the party with this one but here’s an Instructable for anyone who fancies having a go.

https://www.instructables.com/id/UK-Ring-Video-Doorbell-Pro-Working-With-Mechanical/

It’s fairly straightforward. I know of at least 6 installations using this method with no issues.

Clearly the Instructable above relates to the use of a UK chime but the principle is exactly the same for any system that works at a power other than 24VAC.

Hope this helps

1 Like