Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choppy video and audio

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Choppy video and audio

Hi All, 

A little help please, I have a new Ring VIdeos Doorbell 2 and have been trying my best to improve my wifi signal that the device connects to. I have created a separate SSID and the doorbells signal strength is RSSI-50 (Green) however video still appears to be choppy and freezes at time. It is running off its internal battery.

Any way that I can improve this so the video quality improves?

Thanks in advance all  Smiley Happy

29 REPLIES 29
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Choppy video and audio

Hi there, @GeoStorm. Have you attempted to move your doorbell close to your router, trigger a ding event, and see if the video is still choppy? If it is choppy even next to your router, you may need to reboot your router to refresh the connection. If it works perfectly near the router, you may need to look into getting a Chime Pro or other options to help your overall connectivity!

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Hi @Chelsea_Ring, 

I have been able to test this out and achieve a better wifi signal of RSSI-48, I think the problem is that when the ring doorbell detects motion it takes some time to "spin up" therefore missing some of the motion and then freezing for a period of time (secs) until it is up and running, which I see and experience in my recording as choppy video quality. 

When viewing the video "Live" fee the video stream is smooth and is watchable.

Kind Regards

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I agree, when it detects motion and eventually starts to record, it’s always choppy and freezes and frame rate it terrible, live is smoother. These things are becoming pointless for security, now I see why they had all these holiday sales, these things are way over priced for this quality. That rssi number appears to be pointless, low 40’s high 60’s quality is the same.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have tried so many things to try to resolve the video from the motion being choppy, none of them worked, even moving the doorbell next to the router and having an excellent RSSI rating.

The own thing I have not tried is to hardwire the power into the ring video doorbell 2, does anybody know if this will help resolve the situation those thinking if there is a permanent power supply to the doorbell then it does not need to go to sleep to preserve battery and therefore will not need to "spin up" when motion is detected as it "should" always be on?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Both of my ring 2 doorbells are hard wired, it makes no difference
Highlighted
New Neighbor

So it sounds like a common issue and is not to do with power consumption or WIFI signal strength (RSSI value).

Should like this is a defect that needs to be addressed by the development team, how can we raise this directly with Ring Support? and do they even acknowledge this is an issue?

Highlighted
New Neighbor

This problem and the, White noise when in night vision mode, seem to be a big issues with the doorbells with no acceptance from ring, after all these holiday sales, the complaints should rise significantly, if I would have known of these problems, I never would have bought them
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've had the same problem for 2 yrs now. The original Ring worked fine but very slow to connect. They were gone before it connected. So I decided to get there Pro, still has a lag time but the once it does connect and you try to talk the audio and video get choppy and is useless.     Support gives me a bunch of BS,  they replace it once.  Now it's just a very expensive door bell.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Wiring the Ring to power does not help. I have the same problems with my unit, and it is wired in. Seems like the video is nice and smooth during live video, but when capturing motion it gets choppy or even freezes for a second or 2 during recordings...