Choppy Audio...Ring 2

Well working on our second Ring 2 doorbell. First unit experienced choppy audio from both mic and speaker on phones, Echo devices, and computer. Contacted Ring support went throught all the usual troubleshooting which ended with Ring sending out a replacement which we installed this week. Sure enough, second unit is experiencing same issues. We subsequently installed a Chime Pro which really improved the signal strength, router at 46 RSSI and Chime Pro at 49. We also replaced the aging doorbell transformer which appears to have improved the battery charging but STILL very poor audio. We have explored possible interference from other devices by disconnecting each and testing Ring audio, no luck. If anyone has any other suggestions it would really be greatly appreaciated !

Hi @jimb3. Is there anything around your Doorbell that could be causing interference? Additionally, could you attach a video of this choppy audio so the neighbors in the Community could hear how choppy this is and offer suggestions?

Hi Chelsea, thanks for your reply. I have attempted to send you the Ring video but apparently MP4 files are not an acceptable format, no other way found so far. We recently worked with one of the Ring techs who concluded the Chime Pro we were using was of no value since our signal strength was good but we had serious packet loss due to the Chime Pro. We now are not using the device and our RSSI is at 47, but no sound improvement either. We have extensively investigated any possible source of interference with no success. Our speed tests are about 6 down and .7 upload. I understand Ring favors 1 to 2 upload but our internet supplier, Verizon DSL, states the current upload speed of .7 is considered normal to their standards and our service is their “enhanced” package with no other option available. Verizon’s position is the current speed should be more then adequate based on numerous customer connections involving Ring 2 devices, they place the problem back on Ring’s doorstep so to speak. As I stated in my initial post, really don’t know what or who to believe.

1 Like

@jimb3 Thank you for sending that example! For future reference you may share a video by selecting share and copying the url link and pasting it in your response on the Community, if you are comfortable doing so. We do not recommend neighbors to email Community, as this is so you can instead be able to share your video and discuss this further with other neighbors. Please feel free to reply to this thread with your share link for your video!

From watching your video, there looks to be a lot of brick, which I assume you use around your house as well. If your speed test with Verizon is showing to be lower than our requirements state, than this will be the root cause of the audio interference. Overall, you have enough speed to operate your Doorbell - having it up and running so it can record any alerts - so that’s great, even with your restrictions on speed! Although, as our device requirements suggest, optimal functionality is not going to be promised without the recommended speeds. Additionally, interferences such as brick walls will lower the quality as well. Considering your situation though, I do give you props for having video quality still this good in your specific environment!

Things you could look into for the future could be things like getting an Eero system to see if it improves the Doorbell experience and its audio, or upgrading to another internet provider. I know the latter is not normally an option, but know that things in the market for internet and connections are ever changing, so it’s always great to see what other options are around in case a good deal arises. Hope this helps clear it up for you! :smiley_cat:

Aren’t all of you tired of Ring making all the excuses but nothing ever gets done? Every issue with the choppy audio has been an issue since the doorbell was first introduced. If all the obvious things mentioned in the hundreds of posts of choppy audo, Ring needs to stop blamimg its customers, wifi, brick walls, transformers, wires, type of windows signal has to go through, and worse of all, their stupid extender that simply doesnt work at all and never has.

After I took apart the doorbell I found the problem. I tried to discuss and prove to Ring what it was but no interest to let me talk with an engineer or some other than CS. After My modification of the Ring design, my problems were solved. Simply put, without going into tech explanation, it is a faulty design and a simple part could fix the entire problem. Actually, to be honest, the entire thing needs to be redesigned from scratch. I did do somewhat of a redesign but couldnt do a permenant one. But my temp fix worked just as good. So, Ring needs to admit they have a problem and I know someone up the chain knows it. But CS is trained to make it the customer’s fault. And, if they do not want to hear how to fix it, then so be it.

1 Like

Good lord man, can you not share your fix with us and put us out of our misery ?

come on, spill the beans about the modification. PLEASE…

2 Likes

Basically, it has to do with half duplex and full duplex. You know, half duplex would be like a walkie talkie. Only one can key up and talk while the other listens. Once you unkey your radio the other person keys up. But, both can work together.

With the doorbels, like telephones, they can talk and listen at the same time. Phones don’t cut out though. I thought abou it and decided to lok at the board and resistors, etc. I found that the board is designed with the (for sake of conversation, I’ll call them circuits) circuits, both talk and listed mounted too close together on the board, it is causing interference between the two. I made a simple copper shield and soldered it between the two circuits on both sides of the board. Of curse, it would not fit completely back in the housing. So, a small mod there too. It improved it near 80% to 90%. Just a voice/sound cut out every now and then. But much better than it was. I’m sure if I was a electronics tech, I could have done much better isolating the two.

So, if Ring was to find that this is the problem (if they havent already), they would have to replace every doorbell sold, or who ever complains, which is just about everyone. It would cost them huge dollars. So, they play dumb and blame it on our equipment. Now I have to explain to my wife why I ruined the housing on the doorbell and why I have to get a new one. But not Ring or Nest (same design from China).

2 Likes

Nuts. Now I’m really disappointed. I was hoping the solution would be something I might do myself. The Ring Pro at my home works great. The Ring 2 I bought for my office has the choppy audio problem described above. Without a fix, I’m going to have to return it. Period.