Changing Device Owner

Hi all. Due to my disabilities my wife installed our Ring 2 Video and set it up, so she is now the device owner and I therefore have it shared with me.

However, she is not very good on the app side of things so I would like to become device owner and share with/to her.

Given how important this security is to us I don’t want to mess the change up. Is the process as simple as us both signing into the app and removing the device, then me (or my wife with my phone) going through the setup process again?

If that works do we lose access to all our saved videos (in cloud)?

Thanks,

Gary

Hey @Covo ! You are able to sign in using the same credentials as the owner account and it will allow both of you to be logged in simultaneously, as well as in control of settings.

Check out our help center article to learn more about device ownership.

1 Like

Thanks Marley but even though we’re husband and wife (40 yrs in Jan) I don’t want to ask for her password. Some things are sacrosanct. :smiley:

In which case, would my original suggestion work?

Of course @Covo ! We totally understand this, and share the same passion for security. In that case, yes you will want to remove the device, set it up again on the account which you wish to be deemed owner (with access to settings), and then of course add your wife as a shared user.

Keep in mind this will also require the change of ownership to be confirmed through email, and any existing videos would be deleted, so we recommend downloading any important videos before starting this process.

1 Like

Thanks Marley. How does the change of ownership affect the payment for storage of videos in the cloud? We still have 4 months left on that in my wife’s name (even though I’m sure I paid it with my credit card/Paypal) but do I assume no refund and I have to pay for 12 months starting from now?

Cheers,
Gary

You got it @Covo ! With the subscription being securely assigned by account, you would want to cancel it on the old account, and then start a new subscription on the new owner account. This will avoid any unwanted continued billing, as well as result in a prorated refund if you prepaid for the year.

Cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I need help changing the owner on my devices. I don’t know who the owner is, but I’m the home owner and I had a handy man install them while I was out of town.

Call customer service. They can look into it.
Call Us
US: +1(800) 656-1918 (24/7)
US: +1(888) 981-8993 (Español - 24/7)
INTL: +1(310) 929-7085 (24/7)

1 Like

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey @Covo ! You are able to sign in using the same credentials as the owner account and it will allow both of you to be logged in simultaneously, as well as in control of settings.

Check out our help center article to learn more about device ownership.

Doesn’t help as I need to pay for a year’s more video saving and only the owner can do. She won’t use a VPN for security so I do all payments.

I’ve chatted to support.

Process is owner removes device which also removes it from my shared device.

I add new device under my login and add her as shared user.

Good timing as our cloud storage expired a few days ago.

1 Like

I’m confused as to why Ring would not allow up to two Owners or like a Co-Owner feature as their are times when there are two Owners of a home. I just don’t like that one person is granted all that control especially with being able to delete recordings or turn off motion zones. Ring should definitely consider this.

1 Like

Hey guys need help!! We purchased a Ring Cam from Home Depot if was returned by someone that apparently registered it. Impossible to contact previous owner. How can I switch??

Will you both still get notifications if you both login under the same email address? I’m so frustrated that my spouse and I can’t both have control over the security system that we purchased.

1 Like