cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cars but no people

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Cars but no people

We have had our Ring 2 doorbell for almost two months.  We made adjustments to sensitivity several times but continue to experience motion detection of the car or truck in the street yet the pizza delivery person can approach our door and we get nothing until he is about halfway down our driveway heading back to his car.  Sometimes we get people as they approach the door but many times it does not start recording or alert us until they are on top of the doorbell or until they leave.  We have had people come and go with no detection at all.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Cars but no people

Hey @NY2CT ! Thank you for sharing those details of your concern. Do you have any stairs leading to your entry way or does your front yard have any type of declining slope leading towards the road?

Check out our article explaining how motion works, as it may clarify some best practices Smiley Happy 

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have exactly the same problem... except that I've had my Ring Doorbell for only 3 days.

Yesterday, a package was delivered.  The Ring Doorbell didn't detect or record the delivery person.  My wife walked up to the front door (where the Ring Doorbell is installed) to get the package.  The recording of her starts after she's walked away, and is about 10 feet from the front door and facing away.

My yard is fairly flat.  I have a 12foot poarch, with one step down to a sidewalk that is level with the yard.

I shoveled the walk and poarch, but none of that was captured by the ring doorbell.

The street we live on is not very busy, but it seems the only thing captured are cars, in the street, that is 45feet away.  Except... it didn't capture the garbage truck... which is a very large vehicle, doesn't move very fast, and makes  two stops across the street, in view of the ring doorbell.

I followed the instructions taking into consideration the issues describe in the article you've referenced. 

This doesn't seem to be serving the purpose it was intended for.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have one step down from my home.  As for a slope, it's enough so that rain water does not pool in the driveway but other than that...no.  It's been a few months since we installed our ring doorbell and I can capture the mailman but not until he is up against the house.  Why doesn't it capture him approaching.  I have better luck seeing people leaving my home rather than approaching.  I now have a new phone and when I get Ring alerts, there is nothing and no one there.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Share how you have your motion zones and the field of view your device has so we can further assist. 

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I continue to get motion notifications but most times there's nothing there. Big trucks go by and set it off. I've have 3-4 packages delivered and this thing doesnt work. I had a zmodo and upgraded to this, wish I bought a Nest. Tried all different kind of setting and it's no help
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Same issue

It only picks up people when they are walking away... its great if I want to see the backside of the thieves that just took off with my packages.

Some real help from the company is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

We had a van towed out of our driveway and nothing was noted on our doorbell video.  We still get no video of anyone approaching the doorbell until they are right on top of it and then we get a view of their stomach.  We get perfect videos of people from the back after they have dropped off a package.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Mine is doing the same thing.  Apparently, I made a HUGE mistake buying a Ring Doorbell 2.  I am sad--we could not afford to waste all that money.  We spent $1,400 counting installs and NONE of it works right!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Im getting the same thing. Only records some people
/* */