Cars but no people

Share how you have your motion zones and the field of view your device has so we can further assist.

1 Like

I continue to get motion notifications but most times there’s nothing there. Big trucks go by and set it off. I’ve have 3-4 packages delivered and this thing doesnt work. I had a zmodo and upgraded to this, wish I bought a Nest. Tried all different kind of setting and it’s no help

1 Like

Same issue

It only picks up people when they are walking away… its great if I want to see the backside of the thieves that just took off with my packages.

Some real help from the company is greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

We had a van towed out of our driveway and nothing was noted on our doorbell video. We still get no video of anyone approaching the doorbell until they are right on top of it and then we get a view of their stomach. We get perfect videos of people from the back after they have dropped off a package.

1 Like

Mine is doing the same thing. Apparently, I made a HUGE mistake buying a Ring Doorbell 2. I am sad–we could not afford to waste all that money. We spent $1,400 counting installs and NONE of it works right!

Im getting the same thing. Only records some people

2 Likes

I shoveled and no capture also. I have no stairs

I’ve made some changes to my configuration that may have helped.

First, I now have a transformer that provides the correct voltage and amperage to the RingDoorBell. My previous transformer wasn’t putting out the voltage or amperage that Ring requires.

I also changed my WiFi antennas. I had purchased a fancy after market antenna thinking it would boost my signal and extend my range. But I didn’t follow that up by actually measuring the signal strength and rang. It turns out the MFG provided antenna actually gave me better WiFi coverage. So my Ring Door Bell may be getting better, more relyable connection.

I still see lots of cars/trucks/vans/etc, and very few people. But I have seen many instances recently where I have a video of a person coming to the door to drop off a package, or to peak in my window, or to see what brand of Smart Door Bell I have.

1 Like

I invested in the ring doorbell thinking it would be a excellent source of security. I have spent the last 12 months going up and down my driveway trying to adequatly set the doorbell in a bid not to get informed of every passing car in a fairly quiet cul de sac and actually be informed of a person instead. You could quite easily have the changing of the guards outside my house and not be aware until they are leaving. I have rang customer services and am always told its my internet speed and I need to buy this device and that add on to improve which in the end will cost a small fortune. Strangely enough my internet speed is fine on my PC. A complete waste of money. Finally when i get it right the battery runs low then when I charge it up I am back to square one again. Not impressed at all.

3 Likes

There are a number of posts detailing the same problem I am experiencing. False alarms and not detecting a person 6 feet in front of the door. I have spoken with the support center a couple of times and have gotten the same recommendations which do not work. So like a number of other customers I am getting tired of dealing with it and will write it off as a mistake to ever have purchased the Ring 2. If you are really concerned, how about refunding my money.

7 Likes

We can only help if you allow us, @whollow . Feel free to share how you have your current zones and motion settings and we can offer helpful advice. Please also review some of @Riley_Ring articles, that go into more detail about how the motion works on your device. Thanks!

Ticked off customer!!! ?This thing does not work at all. DO NOT rely on this for security or safety. As other posts have said I have tried everything. Motion is set on max, and it still doesn’t capture personal motion, but picks up every car that drives by. My car was broken into early this morning. How do I know? The guy came up on the sidewalk near my door to go to the next car and the camera caught him walking away. I walked back and forth from the street several times this afternoon. Did not get picked up ONCE! Waste of money!

1 Like

I’ve had my ring2 doorbell for almost a year. It was working flawlessly until earlier this year when similar issues to what’s posted here started.

However before that it worked fine.

Now I capture ppl after they leave. So packages magically appear or disappear. While the kids love the magic show we don’t rely on the ring anymore and will be getting something else soon

Sorry , I had the same exact thing here in USA and then was told to buy the Ring Wi-Fi extender about 160 pounds your currency and it did absalute sh… !
Great reception to the tablet, cell phone , smart T.V.'s and now the Ring Wi-Fi extender , just not to the Ring doorbell 2 !! Even though now they upgraded the software to accept just people walking up ! NOPE ! still big trucks and delivery trucks and if I’m lucky , people walking away ! if I’m lucky ! And every day I get those e-mails saying there was an issue with the Ring devises at the Main system , but the problem has been fixed or they are working on it ! It used to work somewhat okay just gets worse every few months , now it don’t really want to work at all when I want to open live view just spins , I have yet to open live view for the past 30 attemps ! And I pay the $3.00 a month for their support help and video storage, but yet to be able to use it , because there is never video to save!!

My ring doorbell records the postman entering and passing my door, he delivers and he rang my bell seemingly leaving a package at my door.

I get home no package.

The odd thing is it doesn’t detect him leaving again and he has to pass my door after going to the 3 floors above.

I’m confused as to why this happens. Someone appears to have stolen my package but I have no evidence at all.

If it isn’t going to record all motion what is the point.

The article you mention doesn’t even cover what the concern is.

My zones are at max and it should record all motion but it isn’t.

??

Hi neighbors. When it comes to your Doorbell’s motion detection, you will want to keep a couple things in mind. One of the things that could cause a Doorbell to miss motion is a Motion Setting called Motion Frequency. Motion Frequency uses an algorithm to determine the dwell time between recordings. I would make sure that your Motion Frequency is on Frequent to ensure that no motion in front of the Doorbell is missed. You can learn more about Motion Frequency in our Help Center Article.

Also, the Snapshot Capture feature is great at filling in the blanks for your videos. Head over to this Help Center article to learn move about Snapshot Capture and how it can work for you. If you’re continuing to have any concerns with your Doorbell’s motion detection, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please go here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Ive had a Ring doorbell since they started & have become very unhappy. (1) In the past fes months my Ring 2 is not recording people walking up the driveway(straight shot view)
(2) you can no longer get help via an email with Ring like you used to be able to
(3) you cant get answers on the community

Im definitely no longer a happy customer like I used to be. No more referring people to Ring
Am looking into Nest which seems to have a much better customer outreach

I have exactly the same problem, it is sooooo frustrating.

I do too. I have it set to People only but it doesn’t seem to recognize a person. I don’t know what all the alerts are for - motion at the front door and there is nothing there. I can walk out the door and stand in front of the camera and nothing. I can go up the walk that is a straight shot from the camera and it sees nothing. I don’t know what else to do - I have tweaked settings all day today and nothing has changed.

I am having the same issue. What a complete waste of money. Its just a doorbell now, I will not subscribe. A car 35 ft away instantly triggers an alert. Someone walks up to the door and nothing until they are either gone or standing for minutes. Ring needs to fix this widespread problem. I should not have to go reading through pages of feedback that tells me to install a angle backing or something ridiculous. Please fix this HUGE BUG