Can the app show the live-feed directly instead of going through the app notification?

Hi, I recently purchased a Ring Video Doorbell. I have set up the app on my devices and everything works fine.

My question is this. I have a dedicated Android tablet that I keep in my living room. This tab is connected to my other smart devices in the house (security cameras, plugs, switches, etc). I’ve got the Ring app also running in this tab and it shows the alerts on motion and ring.

However, is it possible to get the app to straight-away show the video when the Ring bell is rung, instead of showing the normal notification? I want the tab to directly show the video from the bell whenever it is rung, without having to go to notifications and manually having to select it. The idea is that whenever the bell is rung, the tab will show the live feed from the bell so that I can easily see who’s at the door.

Is this possible either with the Ring app itself or with a third-party service such as IFTTT?Thanks,

4 Likes

Good to hear you are thoroughly enjoying your Ring Doorbell, and even taking it a step further to automate your ‘Ring of security’. An auto-populating video feed is not currently a feature of the Ring app, unless you are of course logged in and actively in the Ring application.

There are some solutions out there, some of which are recipe based like IFTTT. I’ve heard many neighbors report success with a 3rd party service called Tasker. Feel free to look into those options while also keeping an eye on this thread, in hopes another neighbor might shares their experience and recommendations with this automation.

Hi GehanR,

have you managed to figure this out ?

I am also trying to find a solution to get the live feed automatically opened up on ring or motion detection on my echo Show but so far I haven’t found a solution.

I just learned about tasker but haven’t figured it out yet. Will look into this and share if I found anything.

If you have found a way I would be more than interested as this is really a basic functionnality that every standard video doorbell has. Like my wife is saying, you paid a lot of money for this, you are paying every month and it doesn’t even do the basic of it’s purpose.

Cheers

Seb

2 Likes

Hi @GehanR and @Seb1410, I look forward to hearing about how Tasker works for both your setups. I have read other neighbors great experiences with it and am interested to learn more about how it will work for this specific use case. Clicking subscribe to keep myself updated on this!

Hi Both,

I’ve only been able to do some research so far. Unfortunately, didn’t get the time to actually play around with it yet.

All solutions I’ve found revolves around the Tasker app. App is also purchased and waiting :slight_smile:

Will have to get down to it proper one of these days soon.

In the meantime, these two seem to be most useful sources I’ve found so far.

You can have a read through and see if you can get it to work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tasker/comments/6vu1x3/how_to_have_an_ontap_action_in_a_notification/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/u/tasker-tips-tricks/ring-doorbell-pro-integration-tablet-t3388078

Post back if you manage to get it working before I get to try it out reply :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Gehan

@Riley_Ring wrote:

Hi @GehanR and @Seb1410, I look forward to hearing about how Tasker works for both your setups. I have read other neighbors great experiences with it and am interested to learn more about how it will work for this specific use case. Clicking subscribe to keep myself updated on this!

Sad that on the commercial they dont show the user getting a notification the fumbling though their apps to select ring to finally see what’s going on at their door. This lost time easily allows someone to steal your packages before you can react. For $200 this should be standard. Shame on you ring. That being said tasker does the job. You tube has a video that walks you through step by step and it works great.

5 Likes

Ok finally had some time to spend on this and I must say that I am fairly satisfied with the solution I came accross on this youtube video. Thanks to the poster I have now a good argument to put that tablet on my wall and add also my homeAssistant screen along. Solution is family friendly :slight_smile: until Ring comes up with the ability to do it on Echo devices.

Instruction are pretty straight forward. Skipped the begining as I have a Galaxy tab but will order right now an amazon fire tablet to have a spare screen on my upper floor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJVVE4T7Gg

Seb

2 Likes

@Seb1410 wrote:

Ok finally had some time to spend on this and I must say that I am fairly satisfied with the solution I came accross on this youtube video. Thanks to the poster I have now a good argument to put that tablet on my wall and add also my homeAssistant screen along. Solution is family friendly :slight_smile: until Ring comes up with the ability to do it on Echo devices.

Instruction are pretty straight forward. Skipped the begining as I have a Galaxy tab but will order right now an amazon fire tablet to have a spare screen on my upper floor.

Seb

This is an amazing solution to a feature that should of come as standard! i have set this up and was pretty straight forward to follow with the help of the tutorial! Thanks for sharing this!

Works Perfectly.

Come on Ring sort this out!

3 Likes

@Mannyshere14 wrote:

@Seb1410 wrote:

Seb

This is an amazing solution to a feature that should of come as standard! i have set this up and was pretty straight forward to follow with the help of the tutorial! Thanks for sharing this!

Works Perfectly.

Come on Ring sort this out!

By the way i dont have any doorbells i have 3 wired spotlight cams and all these work with this solotion… without any issues.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this solution!

To be honest, I’ve moved away from the Amazon line of products for home automation and invested a bit around the Google Assistant. So, instead of the Android tab I had in my living room, now I have replaced it with a 10 inch Lenovo Smart Display. So, while that does not let me do any of the custmamisations that a standard tab would allow, it works seamlessly with the rest of the equipment I have. Few months down the line, I’d most probably replace the door bell with one that fits in better with my existing eco system.

Again, thanks for the interest shown by all on this thread and hope the conversation will come in handy for another person that comes looking for the same thing.

I have 3 samasung Galaxy Tabs running this solution and they all work great with showing up the live view everytime there is motion.

Perfect when you are at home and dont have to keep shouting at alexa to show you the front door camera! or keep looking at your phone.

I have 1 tablet in the kicthen, 1 close to the front door and 1 in my bedroom, having the weather, time and random photo feeds in the background (by hash tagging instagram feed) dashboard is very pleasing to the eyes, works perfectly when jumping to live veiw and back to your dashboard without having to do anything.

Hopefully RING will have its own version of this feature :dizzy_face:

1 Like

hi Mannyshere,

the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJVVE4T7Gg

works perfect for you?

I tried to follow this tutorial but, it doen’t work for me…

1 Like

Which Samsung tab do u have hooked up to it? I want something like this.

@Meeshee wrote:
Which Samsung tab do u have hooked up to it? I want something like this.

It does not really matter if its a Samsung as i think any android tablet will do the trick, i have the Tab A.

You will have to download tasker from the play store on the tablet and the rapid ring app (i find it works better with the rapid ring app).

If you follow the YouTube video it should be quite straight forward.

@edgelop wrote:

hi Mannyshere,

the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKJVVE4T7Gg

works perfect for you?

I tried to follow this tutorial but, it doen’t work for me…

It worked perfect for me, but there are a couple of other similar YouTube videos you could try?

The tablet solution works for cameras fine (i have wired spotlight cams & indoor cam), but remember if you have a echo show the doorbell works automatically now with that (no work around needed).