Can't remove battery from Ring Video Doorbell 3

I can’t remove the battery from a Ring Video Doorbell 3 which was recently bought just a few days ago. I’ve watched the appropriate videos and the method looks simple enough, but when pressing the ‘PUSH’ tab and simultaneously pulling downwards on both sides of the battery - the battery simply refuses to budge. I’m guessing that the ‘PUSH’ tab isn’t correctly releasing a lock on the battery (but that’s just a guess). The battery is now almost flat.

[Update].

I’ve just contacted Customer Services who suggested that I unscrew and remove the doorbell from the wall and see then if the battery will come out. I’ve done just that and now the battery has been removed and is currenly being charged.

Once it’s fully charged, I’ll re-insert the charged battery and repeat the process of removing it again. If the same problem persists again - then it will be another call to Customer Service, because obviously it shouldn’t be necessary to physically remove the unit altogether from the wall every time the battery needs charging.

I wonder if other people have had the same issue ?.

1 Like

@jbaughan wrote:

I can’t remove the battery from a Ring Video Doorbell 3 which was recently bought just a few days ago. I’ve watched the appropriate videos and the method looks simple enough, but when pressing the ‘PUSH’ tab and simultaneously pulling downwards on both sides of the battery - the battery simply refuses to budge. I’m guessing that the ‘PUSH’ tab isn’t correctly releasing a lock on the battery (but that’s just a guess). The battery is now almost flat.

[Update].

I’ve just contacted Customer Services who suggested that I unscrew and remove the doorbell from the wall and see then if the battery will come out. I’ve done just that and now the battery has been removed and is currenly being charged.

Once it’s fully charged, I’ll re-insert the charged battery and repeat the process of removing it again. If the same problem persists again - then it will be another call to Customer Service, because obviously it shouldn’t be necessary to physically remove the unit altogether from the wall every time the battery needs charging.

I wonder if other people have had the same issue ?.

Hello @jbaughan ,

I think the reason Ring Support had you unscrew and remove the doorbell from the wall is because sometimes if you screw the doorbell too tightly to the mounting surface, especially if the surface you are attached to is uneven, this can cause the plastic Video Doorbell to slightly twist/warp and will cause the battery to bind inside its compartment. Check that your mounting bracket wasn’t warped/bent attached to the house.

If the attaching surface is uneven, you could try to level it out a bit with some type of paste compound. Only tighten the mounting screws tight enough to prevent the doorbell from moving. It does not need to be cranked down super tight.

If you think the less-tighten screws might back-out or become loose, try using a little “Loctite” on the treads of those mounting screws to prevent unintentional loosening of these screws.

Hope this helps you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, removing the unit and then re-attaching it to the wall again seems to have done the trick. This time I deliberately didn’t tighten the screws so much and now the battery slides out easily (after pressing down on the ‘PUSH’ tab). Thanks for your help Boone, you were right.

2 Likes

We also can not remove the battery, is this the only solution? My partner removed the cover, then partly replaced the security screw and use that the pull it out. Pain in the backside.

I’ve had exactly the same issue. New unit and first time of trying to remove. I’ll try the above and hopefully that works.

I also have the problem of removing the battery from the ring doorbell 3. I ordered another battery and I don’t have the problem with the new one.

Thank you for posting this! I had the same problem (first time I’ve needed to recharge the battery).

I did not need to entirely unscrew the doorbell from its mounting. Loosening the two bottom screws did the trick.

2 Likes

Hi this is useful advice but no need to remove and refit the whole device - just loosening the bottom screws did the trick.

1 Like

It’s January 29, 2024 I had the exact same issue. The battery would not release. I had to unscrew all 4 screws that hold in the device in order to get the battery out. The battery is currently charging and i am hopeful that I won’t have to unscrew all the screws every time I want to change the batteries. If that’s the case, I will be purchasing something else besides the Ring Doorbell. This is a big time hassle.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.