Can’t hear visitors speak but they can hear me

Hi - I have the same problem too ie visitors can hear me speak, but I can’t hear them. I only installed my Ring 3 plus yesterday and this feature worked fine for about an hour, but then stopped. No amount of pressing the speaker or microphone button, or turning Bluetooth on or off, seems to help. Can you advise what’s best to try next?

1 Like

Incidentally, I’m using an iPhone XR, still with ios13.6. Would upgrading to ios14 help?

I’m having the exact same problem sound for a few days and then nothing, I’ve battled through 4 hard resets and now I need to do a 5th. Can ring add a hard reset via the app to save taking all apart to reset and then reboot and re add, the next time I have to take the front off is with a hammer and it’s going in the bin, it really is shockingly bad

4 Likes

Hey neighbors! The Video Doorbell 3 should have sufficient audio, especially as it features enhanced two way talk with noise cancellation. If a reset, by holding the setup button for 20 seconds, did not resolve this, the concern may be with app, mobile device, or network.

If removing and reinstalling the Ring app did not help, please also ensure vpn is disabled and other apps are closed in the background. Trying on another mobile device, if possible, is always a great step, as it can rule out many factors. If this concern persists, despite trying all the steps in this thread, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am also experiencing the very same issue, the only way to cure it is to power cycle the device. Things might be a lot easier if there was a way to restart the device from the app rather than needing to be onsite with a screwdriver!

My doorbell 3 has great wifi (-64) I am an IT/Wifi engineer, so i know this is not the problem!

Please could we have a device restart button added into the app, this would solve alot of problems especially while away from home (which is kind of the point of the device!)

Thanks

Dave

4 Likes

Similar issue here with Ring 3 Pro.

When there is call/movement detected/live view I can sometimes get up to 3sec of sound/voice then it’s cutting off. -so I know the issue is not with mic itself.

I had my ring replaced already for te same reason, and new unit was working fine for a month or so and now again same issue.

Also tried live view and looking on recordings through browser - same issue sound for few seconds then nothing (so it’s not the phone app).

My WiFi signal was anywhere between -60 and -70 so just for the sake of it I installed Chime Pro - now Chime is -42 and Doorbel to it has -50.

Going outside with screwdriver every time this happens is not the best solution and what when you are away on holidays for an week or so.

I agree with previous posts and would like the option of remote reset in the app - or best some firmware update fixing this issue.

Kind Regards

6 Likes

I agree…having same issue

1 Like

I also have this problem. I get sound for about a second, then silence, so I know the microphone works. The visitor can hear me but I cannot hear them. I experimented by turning off Bluetooth, but even holding the phone up to my ear, could hear nothing. I have a good Wi-Fi signal (the router is right on the other side of the wall from the doorbell) and the video is perfect, just no sound. Without this working the doorbell is almost useless as I cannot have a two-waya conversation. With so many people having the same problem with different hardware (iPhones, Android) it is not the phone’s fault. Ring Support need to fix this problem.

3 Likes

I have the same on a Doorbell 3 plus. I find that I get audio for approx 11-12 seconds then it cuts out. Seems firmware rather than hardware.

Edit: Should have said a hard reboot fixes it (for now).

1 Like

Can we get someone from Ring to answer this thread? I think we have shown there is an actual issue here.

5 Likes

I am having the same issue with my Doorbell 3 Plus. During calls, visitors can hear me but I can’t hear them. In addition, I can hear sound for a few seconds and then silence in Recordings and in Live view. So I know it’s not the phone (s8+), nor the app, nor the camera mic. Ring should address this issue immediately. This is unacceptable, especially considering the prices of the devices. I would expect quality products and support from Ring.

4 Likes

Or you can maybe just fix the problem, paid a lot of money for this doorbell and what’s the point if the sound doesn’t work when people are at the door, don’t try and say it’s signal etc as it’s not, it’s clearly a firmware issue, so tell us how to fix it and now.

4 Likes

My concern is that ring sell this doorbell with ‘two way talk’ as a function. If this fails after a couple of months then what’s the point? Maybe we just upload an article with screenshots of this thread to advise possible purchasers that actually this does not work as advertised, and when you seek help you merely get fobbed off? I think we might need to advise reviewers of this failing as this is no satisfactory when the product promises such a function! If this fault isn’t resolved I think I’ll send my unit to which for them to advise consumers of a very poor promise and product.

1 Like

Same problem with android and IOS

1 Like

Just had the same problem on a 2 month old ring 3 device.
Nothing changed in my network on my phone (cabin that I don’t stay at frequently) and want able to hear the person speaking into the ring.
Took out the battery and placed back in and then back to normal.
There seems to be a problem with the doorbell not sending the voice because mine has an echo when it enters this state and doesn’t transmit the voice.

1 Like

I am also having this same problem. Wifi is super strong (mesh network with a mesh device very close to front door location of ring doorbell). People at the door can hear me but I can’t hear them. My phone is not connected to any bluetooth audio devices. Ring: Please provide a solution!

I’m also having this problem with a Video Doorbell 3 Plus paired with a Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Android 9, and newer Galaxy S20-5G. From App to doorbell, audio works fine. From doorbell to phone app, absolutely nothing. RSSI under device health shows -58, and is green. Ubitquity AP-AC-PRO access point also showing -58. It has a “wifi experience” index of 99 out of 100.

Power cycling the doorbell via pulling the battery is an immediate fix.

Unit bought new Aug 2020. I’ve got Protect Plan Plus. No issues with Ring Indoor Cam on same phones.

Can you please address this issue?

1 Like

@Tiv wrote:

Similar issue here with Ring 3 Pro.

I agree with previous posts and would like the option of remote reset in the app - or best some firmware update fixing this issue.

Agreed. Maybe a remote reboot option NOW, and a permanent fix once proper QA has a chance to validate it!

1 Like

Same issue here. Had the doorbell since March and it’s been working fine until recently. I am particularly dependent on this device during the pandemic. Please, please find a fix.

1 Like

Same issue, only had it since last Friday, reset it twice already.