Can’t hear visitors speak but they can hear me

My ring doorbell notifies me when I have a caller and I am able to speak to them via the app but I am unable to hear them speaking. Is there a microphone adjustment on the ring unit itself?

2 Likes

Hey @Alf65. Can you hear any audio at all, and if you play back the recording, do you hear the person on the other side of the Doorbell in the video playback? If so, you may have a Bluetooth device connected to the phone that, during a Live View call you are in, it is taking over the audio and not letting you hear it through the phone. Please try disconnecting any Bluetooth devices and trying to do a Live View with someone on the other side to see if you hear them then. In addition, some phones treat the Live View like a phone call, and may have the audio transmitted through the phone’s smaller and quieter speaker at the top, so you may have to hold the phone up to your ear to hear them. Lastly, ensure your phone is not silenced/muted when viewing a Live View. Let me know if this helps! :slight_smile:

Thank you for your reply and sorry it’s taken me so long to reply to you. I’ve tried all that you have suggested but still can’t hear anybody at the doorbell. There is the sound of static but no speech or sounds of movement. It’s really frustrating because we use this on my elderly fathers front door to protect him against problem callers but we can’t ask them any questions because we can’t hear the reply. I think there must be a problem with the microphone on the ring unit

1 Like

Hey @Alf65. It definitely sounds like there is a concern with the microphone, and thank you for getting back to me and letting me know how troubleshooting has gone, even if it was to no avail! At this point, it would be best to follow up with our support team directly on this. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hello,

I purchased a Ring video doorbell 3 plus approximately three months ago.
In that time I have experienced the same problem 4 times whereby the microphone in the doorbell appears to stop working.
When I answer the ring through the app on my iPhone the caller at my door can hear me, but i cannot hear the caller.
The problem can be resolved by Performing a hard reset by opening the cover of the doorbell and removing the battery, but this is very inconvenient each time it happens, especially when as was the case last week when I was away from home on holiday for two weeks and unable to perform the hard reset.

My questions:
1, what do I need to do to stop this from happening in the future?

2, Do i have a faulty product that needs replacing?

3, what can i do to reset the doorbell remotely so i can get it working again whilst i am away.

Thanks in advance.

4 Likes

I have this problem and have found out that with bluetooth switched on this happens. So I need to turn it off when the bell rings and all is fine. Have not found a full solution so bluetooth can stay on.

2 Likes

Hi,
Were you able to find a solution to the audio issue? I’m having the exact same problem.

I would be grateful if you point me in the direction of a solution if you found one.

Thanks.

2 Likes

I had the same problem. Tried all the usual things hard reset soft reset worked for 2 days then sound went again. Contacted ring support. They are now replacing my doorbell.

2 Likes

I have the same problem with my video doorbell 3 plus.
I tried all the usual stuff and all the bluetooth suggestions but nothing worked.
If i remove the battery to force a hard reset it works perfectly again for a week or so, then no audio again even when reviewing recordings.
I have replaced the device once already and the replacement is doing exactly the same.
I contacted help@ring.com and received an automated reply saying they don’t offer support via email, and I called my local support number who were only able to regurgitate the standard responses and were no help at all.
Any suggestion from the admin on this thread would be gratefully received.

3 Likes

UPDATE
I tried all available ways to get support from ring, but all came to nothing so i returned the doorbell to my supplier and was sent a new replacement.
In the month or so i have had this replacement i experienced the same problem three more times already.

3 Likes

I have set up the ring three everything is working except for the person standing at the door there is no sound coming through the microphone for the person I can’t hear them at all but they can hear me clearly

1 Like

i am also having this problem. it will sometimes record sound for about a second and then be completely silent after that

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Audio concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

Removing and reinstalling the Ring app is a quick way to ensure it is up to date and optimally integrated with your mobile device. On your mobile device, try testing audio on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Please also ensure bluetooth and VPN is disabled.

@Lee4, as you mentioned already completing a reset, power cycle, and even received a replacement, if the above steps do not help, our support team may need to take a close look at this concern. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi - I have the same problem too ie visitors can hear me speak, but I can’t hear them. I only installed my Ring 3 plus yesterday and this feature worked fine for about an hour, but then stopped. No amount of pressing the speaker or microphone button, or turning Bluetooth on or off, seems to help. Can you advise what’s best to try next?

1 Like

Incidentally, I’m using an iPhone XR, still with ios13.6. Would upgrading to ios14 help?

I’m having the exact same problem sound for a few days and then nothing, I’ve battled through 4 hard resets and now I need to do a 5th. Can ring add a hard reset via the app to save taking all apart to reset and then reboot and re add, the next time I have to take the front off is with a hammer and it’s going in the bin, it really is shockingly bad

4 Likes

Hey neighbors! The Video Doorbell 3 should have sufficient audio, especially as it features enhanced two way talk with noise cancellation. If a reset, by holding the setup button for 20 seconds, did not resolve this, the concern may be with app, mobile device, or network.

If removing and reinstalling the Ring app did not help, please also ensure vpn is disabled and other apps are closed in the background. Trying on another mobile device, if possible, is always a great step, as it can rule out many factors. If this concern persists, despite trying all the steps in this thread, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am also experiencing the very same issue, the only way to cure it is to power cycle the device. Things might be a lot easier if there was a way to restart the device from the app rather than needing to be onsite with a screwdriver!

My doorbell 3 has great wifi (-64) I am an IT/Wifi engineer, so i know this is not the problem!

Please could we have a device restart button added into the app, this would solve alot of problems especially while away from home (which is kind of the point of the device!)

Thanks

Dave

4 Likes

Similar issue here with Ring 3 Pro.

When there is call/movement detected/live view I can sometimes get up to 3sec of sound/voice then it’s cutting off. -so I know the issue is not with mic itself.

I had my ring replaced already for te same reason, and new unit was working fine for a month or so and now again same issue.

Also tried live view and looking on recordings through browser - same issue sound for few seconds then nothing (so it’s not the phone app).

My WiFi signal was anywhere between -60 and -70 so just for the sake of it I installed Chime Pro - now Chime is -42 and Doorbel to it has -50.

Going outside with screwdriver every time this happens is not the best solution and what when you are away on holidays for an week or so.

I agree with previous posts and would like the option of remote reset in the app - or best some firmware update fixing this issue.

Kind Regards

6 Likes

I agree…having same issue

1 Like