cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get security screws off!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Can't get security screws off!!

This is a ring design flaw. They should pay for a replacement after we break it off.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

It takes  T6 Torx driver to get the little screws out.  The head was stripped on one side so I couldn't remove it.  

Used a pair of needle nose pliers heald at 90 degrees to the screw head and managed to loosen it enough for wrench to work.  Someone else suggested this above.  It works for stripped torx heads.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Yes same here.  I have three 1st gen Ring door bells, three Ring Pro door bells and one new Ring door bell 2.  All three 1st gen Ring door bells security screw have sized.  The brass insert is either in the plastic spinning or have come off with the sized screw.  All three also have their night time night vision lighting dead.  All I see now is pitch black.  I took one out and replaced it with a Ring door bell 2 (with the removable battery).   

Did you guys replace your door bells with a newer model?  Or have you gone to another vendor?  I have two doors left with the original 1st gen Ring I'm looking to replace.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I need to reset my WiFi and don’t have the tool that came with Ring. How can I do this?
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I believe it is a T6 hex, but google should help you confirm that.

Amazon sells them as well as other sites. Just google "ring screw driver"

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I had one screw that was working and another that was not, until the 2nd screw went out today.

Since I could no longer remove the doorbell camera to charge it I was extremely frustrated and upset. I called the 800 # and they were super helpful. They ended up sending me a replacement one for free and said that I am not liable for any damages I might cause taking the old one off. So very grateful for their customer service.

I recommend calling them before trying to remove it yourself to avoid breaking it before speaking with them.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Fixing screws stripped

I had the same problem. Just talked with Ring support and here's what worked. I had first loosened the one screw that still worked, but hopefully this works for those of you who have 2 stripped screws.

Get a rubber mallet. Place towel over the top and hit the doorbell casing, but not very hard. Then place the towel over the bottom and hit the doorbell casing with a bit more force. It came right off with no damage to the casing.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Remember the supplied screw driver  is double ended !

Highlighted
New Neighbor

@sudschetty wrote:

No luck with knives/blades etc.... however if you take a small thin screwdriver and twist in-between the backplate and ring device - it pops out of the holder really easily!!!!!  Nothing broke so far (hopefully....) but this is pretty terrible quality......

Thank you - this worked for me. As you say, terrible quality...

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

If spinning in place.......anyone tried eyelash tweezers ? .