cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get security screws off!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Fixing screws stripped

Both fixing screws on doorbell unit are stripped and will not unscrew.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Re: Can't get security screws off!!

We were able to pry off the coverplate.  Then, we were able to unscrew the security screw.  The old coverplate is damaged.  We installed another coverplate that came with the doorbell.  We also had a spare security screw that came with the doorbell.  Good luck, everyone!  This was definitely a frustrating process!!

Highlighted
New Neighbor

We are having the same issue.  It started on one side and now it's on both.  Very frustrating as this is the second unit we have (the previous one just stopped working for no reason we could ascertain).

Is this a factory defect?  Is the plastic shrinking and loosening its hold on the housing for the screws?

Very frustrating.  We would try to fix it somehow, but are worried that they will say "you tampered with the unit and now you need a new one."

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @mdbringasgarcia! Try using needle nose pliers to grab and delicately pull on the screw while turning it to remove. A rubber band can also accomplish the same. If you feel like the screws are not going to come out without excessive force, Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

This is not the reason I'll never buy or recommend Ring. It's their lack of response in addressing the defective product. They told me to try tape, to try prying it, to strip it from the wall and access it from the back. No acknowledgement of "Hey, we messed up. We'll fix the design and send you a new one." This is all of our faults that the cheap plastic won't hold its thread.

I ended up ripping it from the wall after weeks of support calls and trying different things with several friends offering to help. Now I'm looking into nest instead. I really loved the video quality and the mobile app, but one key mistake and bad customer service ruined it.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Did you ever get the screws out? Same problem here!
Highlighted
New Neighbor

Having the same problem. Seeing the boards, I guess I'm not the only one. Ring's failure to address issue is very frustrating. Definitely looking at Ring competitors as my Ring right now is just a decoration on my gate.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

So for my unit, this was the issue. The insert that houses the security screw is spinning in the housing (see attached photo). To me, this is a manufacturer defect that they need to correct. 

I'm going to hard wire my unit so that I don't have to remove it for charging.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Same here.  Screw is stripped.  I'll try the methods noted above, but it is quite frustrating that this is a common problem.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Me either. Screws just spinning. Unit needs charged. Ooh-tried rubber band, etc. nothing working. Any suggestions?