Can't get security screws off!

I am one of the early birds of ring products. I have the 1st gen ring doorbell which I installed 2.5 years ago. My wifi settings changed so i needed to update it on ring. The only way to do this is to press the orange reset button on the back of the device. Of course both the security screws at the bottom were not coming off. The screw heads were not stripped, instead the metal screw inserts that’s molded into the plastic housing were stripped. Used brute force to rip away the aluminum face plate in hopes of just popping it off, but soon realized that the 1st gen ring doorbels do not have removable faceplate. After a his i used pliers to pull out the screws. They both came off with metal inserts and some damage to the housing. After this iI popped the while unit off the mounting bracket, reset the wifi setting and just put it back without any cover plate. I used some electric tape to cover some exposed components and no security screws!

I called support before resorting to destructive method, they suggested to upgrade to $9.99/mo plan which will cover device replacement warranty. Second option was a 35% off coupon to buy a new door bell of choice. Was not pleased with either option and this is a design flaw and the doorbell was used as normally ad possible!

I am surprised to hear that the same issue is happening on newer models of the doorbell.

1 Like