Can't get ring doorbell 2 off mounting bracket

Just got mine today and having the same issue as everyone else. Maddening to say the least. I was finally able to use a paint scraper at the top edges and worked my way down each side and it came off easily. Hope this saves someone some time!

4 Likes

It doesn’t slide up. It pulls out from the bottom. Easy when back plate installed but when it isn’t it’s difficult to remove.I managed to get my nail in at the bottom then it all made sense.

14 Likes

This is madness. im 3hrs wrestling to get this back plate off this 2nd gen product. No QR code anywhere to be seen. And I do this for a living. lols.

**SOLVED**

Ok, so it just separates from the bottom. So, get a knife and literally slide it between device and bracket along the bottom edge. Then twist the knife until the doorbell separates away from the bracket. The pivot / attachment is on the top.

**CONCL**

If you’re gonna ship with the bracket attached, update the instructions. Please!

27 Likes

@Whoever12 wrote:

**SOLVED**

Ok, so it just separates from the bottom. So, get a knife and literally slide it between device and bracket along the bottom edge. Then twist the knife until the doorbell separates away from the bracket. The pivot / attachment is on the top.

So this worked for me (finally), thanks! Unfortunately I’m a clumsy ■■■■■ and also ended up with three stitches in my finger, so yeah, it would be nice if they made that easier.

1 Like

We’re sorry to hear this, @badluddite. We would love for a team member to reach out to you to discuss this in more detail. Would it be okay for us to contact you at the email address associated with your Community account?

Why not just put a sticker on the box or device telling people to pry the bottom out with a blade or provide a spudger in the box???

5 Likes

This worked great!! Just slide my nail under the bottom and off it popped (after 5 minutes of trying to get it off!) thank you!!

I have the “ring Video Doorbell”. These notes may not apply to your model.

You’re gonna hate this, but the instructions for removing the mounting bracket are _ inside the bracket _. You have to remove it first to find out how to remove it.

Anyway, the doorbell hooks onto the bracket at the top, then pivots down. There are a couple of catches and a strong magnet that holds it all into place. Plus the security screws; make sure you remove those first.

I was able to get the bracket off by slipping a knife blade in between the bracket and the unit at the bottom of the unit. Sliding the bracket off would never have worked and I would have broken something if I’d forced it.

But be real sure. If you have a model that slides off, you’ll break it if you do it my way. I can only say that the “ring Video Doorbell” opens this way.

2 Likes

This was the only one that worked for me!! Thank you for putting your tips here

OMG Same!! :frowning: @Ring please give me 3 hours of my life back!

@Whoever12 thank you!!

Re: Can’t get ring doorbell 2 off mounting bracket

This is madness. im 3hrs wrestling to get this back plate off this 2nd gen product. No QR code anywhere to be seen. And I do this for a living. lols.

**SOLVED**

**CONCL**

If you’re gonna ship with the bracket attached, update the instructions. Please!

2 Likes

Same problem here. Tried to get a knife between the mountain bracket & doorbell, ended up with a nice gouge in the bottom of the doorbell. At least it wasn’t my hand. Ended up getting the bottom edge of the plate on the edge of the counter and whacking it with my hand to get it off. Probably not the best solution. Yes the instructions to remove the plate are on the inside of the plate. Unbelievable. Ring you can do better than this.

1 Like

Yes I still haven’t been able to get mine off. I tried to use my nail and my nail started separating from my thumb! This is ridiculous! RING! You’re box/instructions say nothing about this ordeal that takes several minutes and aggravation. I would start sending them already separated. This has been so aggravating that I’m tempted to send it back.

Thank u. This was the most accurate explanation on how to remove the bracket!

Thank you!!!

I used a butterknife to get it off. I lifted the side just enough to get the knife into it and i slid the knife all the way in and down the back and it helped to release the magnet. It came right off after that. I think it is just the magnet is really strong because one I put it right back on it was stuck like it was the first time. Then i used the knife to separate the magnet again and it came off in seconds again. Maybe you can try that. I hope that helps.

1 Like

I used the edge of my pocket knife and got the clean separation needed for removal. The engineering on the fit is very tight (a good thing for outdoor usage), but the initial removal is a challenge. The putty knife/paint scraper/pocket knife approach along the sides requires no force and provides the needed leverage to initially separate the parts.

How do you get the damm mounting plate disconnected from the doorbell? The screws are out? Perhaps this doorbell was a terrible decision as the fist part is overlooked in the instructions.

Use a thin flat head screwdriver and pry from the left side. Pops right off

So frustrating that they ship a product and literally the first setup step can’t be accomplished! How does this get past Q/A?!!

The newer model does NOT slide up and down like the old ones. Instead, use your fingernail or other thin but firm item at the BOTTOM of the device to pry the bracket away from the doorbell. The bracket has a hook at the top that unhooks when you separate the two pieces at the bottom.