Can I monitor my camera WITHOUT recording?

I currently have a Ring doorbell camera and I plan to purchase some wireless camera’s to add to my system.

I was wondering if I can setup a dedicated monitor (computer screen or tablet) and have the camera “live view” turned on this monitor WITHOUT it recording so that I can have a continous live camera at my desk to see what is going on at the various cameras but I do not want it to be recording 24x7 and eating up all that storage space.

Can I setup a monitor for “view only” for continuos live viewing?

Thanks,

Jim Smith

1 Like

Hi @J1mSm1th. If you are Subscribed to the Ring Protect Plan, all videos are recorded and stored in the Ring Cloud storage space. Right now, the maximum amount of time that your can view the Live View is 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the camera will time out and you will have to refresh the feed. I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you for clearing up the capabilities of the product. However, J1mSm1th actually makes an excellent point! There are times, sitting at our computer that we would like to be monitoring the live activity at the front door without recording. It would seem simple enough to include this feature as some sort of a toggle option. Like the CALL button, we could START recording what we are monitoring, if needed. It would also be nice if the motion detection feature would still auto-start recording as normal during monitoring, in the event we were away from the monitor.

3 Likes

Hi @LemonPeeler. That is an excellent idea. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

1 Like

Hello. I’m new here and I have the same exact question about viewing without recording a Live View. It seems there’s been almost 4 years since the last post requesting this feature and it still is NOT a feature. Is it at least in the works? This is a much better feature than having US switch to Live View every time someone crosses the path of the doorbell. Having a constant permanent live view and still having the video record only when people are recognized by the doorbell. But at least we won’t have to keep stopping what we’re doing to switch to view that feed. It should be possible to have two separate feeds. One that records and the other that does. Any updates on this? Thanks!

Hi @ynxwN.27ZzaX-V1Y9bqN. As of now, I have no updates on this becoming a feature.

Add me to the list of folks who would like to monitor the Live view without automatically recording it. Like any other video camera, if we want to record, we should be able to tap a “record” button. As is, Live view recordings clog up the History list, and it’s a bit of a hassle to continually delete them. It seems this feature was first suggested several years ago, and also seems like an easy enough fix. Why has the suggestion been ignored for so long?

1 Like

Hi,
I would also add this as a wish from me but for the indoor security camera. We use ours as a baby monitor as well as a security device - it would be good to have the camera on permanently for this scenario. I know other users of ring indoor cameras who would welcome this capability.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.