Bye, bye, ...the day...the Ring Pro Died

I have had the Ring Pro for about 2.5 years. Aside from a few bugs it worked as exepcted.

Yesterday it went dead. The app indicated no WiFi signal. Per the instructions, I removed the cover and pressed the side button. No response. No light. No sound. No nothing.

So then I thought well maybe it isn’t getting power. I checked the fuse in my house fuse panel. All was right.

I then removed the mounting screws and pulled the doorbell from the wall. No physical damage and the lead wires were secure.

I then loosened the lead screws and disconnected the lead wires. After disconnecting, the ends touched and sparked. The doorbell inside the house rang.

The only conclusion I can draw from all of this is that the issue is in the doorbell. It worked without issue for years. Nothing has changed.

Anyone else experience this? Any advice? It seems like it should last longer than a couple years.

6 Likes

Same thing happend to ours, almost in the exact same fashion as yours …no need to add much. Still checking power, but okay at the transformer after checking tonight. Will be checking wires at the doorbell for power in the next day or so, but I think ‘Ring’ has kicked-the-bucket. No lights, no feed to the app …dead as a doornail.

Maybe/hopefully Ring support has some advice or suggestions.

Same thing has happened with us this week. Tried all the power and reset options. Hard reset initially gave a blue glow at just the top of the button so we thought the battery would charge, but came back a couple hours later and got no response from it at all. I wonder if the batteries just give out at around 2 years. We love having the protection at the front of our home but sure don’t like not having any recourse (other than buying a new one) when the Ring dies, such as just switching out just the battery.

2 Likes

Same thing just happened to me. I did all the same things you tried and I’m at a loss. I wish I knew how to fix it.

Sorry to hear about this experience neighbors! It looks like you’ve all taken the proper steps to troubleshoot by checking wiring/ power and wifi connection. If you are receiving power, but the Pro is not connecting to wifi, I recommend holding the setup button for 20 seconds to reset it and then performing a new setup in the Ring app.

If your Doorbell pro is completely unresponsive after confirming there is power to it, please reach out to our support team, at 800-656-1918, as it may require more in-depth troubleshooting.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, I tried the hard reset several times and there was no response. We just bought a new Ring to replace it since it was no longer under warranty. We’ll find out in another two years if that’s the lifespan of the internal battery.

1 Like

Has anyone whose RingPro died after a year manage to get a free replacement from Ring?

If you have the $100/year plan, I think it may be covered?

But what if you only have the $30/year plan?

If you had the plus, you’re covered as stated here on Ring’s website.
For extended warranty coverage to apply to your Ring device, the device must be within its original warranty period when you subscribe to Ring Protect Plus. Once the original warranty expires, the device will be covered under Ring Protect Plus until you discontinue your subscription. Non-Ring and other third-party devices are not eligible for the extended warranty.
The basic plan you do not get an extended warranty.

1 Like

Follow-up: Tried the hard reset twice and did not change a thing. Called the Ring support number as suggested and after checking our account, they indicated there was a software problem that could not be fixed and that some pro models has had issue with. They will be sending a replacement under warranty. Our original purchase was July, 2017. Good luck.

4 Likes

@CarolynR wrote:

We’ll find out in another two years if that’s the lifespan of the internal battery.

Does the Ring Pro have an internal battery?

Since the faq says that the blue light indicates a battery charge, we assumed there was an internal battery, but we could be wrong.

Thanks for telling me about your experience since I also purchased my Ring in July os 2017. I called customer support and was helped with one of their associates and my Ring was indeed “dead”. I also am being sent a replacement, which I am really surprised at since mine was also out of warranty. If not for your message here, I don’t think I would have called support, especially since we’d already ordered a new one. Thank you.

2 Likes

@CarolynR wrote:

Thanks for telling me about your experience since I also purchased my Ring in July os 2017. I called customer support and was helped with one of their associates and my Ring was indeed “dead”. I also am being sent a replacement, which I am really surprised at since mine was also out of warranty. If not for your message here, I don’t think I would have called support, especially since we’d already ordered a new one. Thank you.

Now that shows Ring’s commitment to customer service! ??

A lesser company would have cited the warranty expiration and not helped with a replacement.

3 Likes

For what its worth … +1, same situation. Not much to add, same date, same model.

I really advise calling tech support. I didnt think i had any recourse other than to buy another Ring, but I was wrong. Ring support is great, even if out of warranty.

Chatting with Customer Service as I type this and they are sending a replacement (I’m well out of warranty, but 11/20 wasn’t a great day for some Ring Pros :slight_smile: ).

It certainly is odd how we all had failures the same week with the same model, installed at close to the same time, but I`m glad Ring came through?. I’ve gotten so used to have front door monitoring that I feel “expsed” without it ? I can’t wait till I receive my replacement!

2 Likes

Have the same issue going right now, did you resolve it or get a new Ring doorbell?

My existing unit never came back to life. I chatted with customer service and a replacement is on its way.

Provided I return the dead one with the return label, there is no cost.

2 Likes

Did you need to have the original packaging, I definitely don’t have that after 2 years? Going to call support today and see how it goes, thanks for the info!

1 Like