`Alexa, show the front door` not working on TV

No problems Jennifer, would be great to get a fix! ???
It’s like the Fire TV needs to ‘wake up’ using the remote before the echo dot commands work. It’s very strange, but it then works every time without fail!

Just to add, my Fire TV is on firmware: 6.2.7.1 (NS6271/2495) - latest version. Also, my remote (version 129) shows ‘battery offline’ in the settings until it is pressesd, where it then shows ‘OK’ - I’ve got a feeling that this remote sleeping thing could be something to do with it…

Hi, any update on this?

I’m having this problem too. Any fixes yet?

Same issue for me. Simple repro. No echo dots involved. I can’t view my Ring doorbell from any of my Fire TV Sticks. I have 4 around the house. When I send the voice command it just spins on the Waiting for Ring.com screen. I also have an Echo Show and it works on that.

What info is needed for Ring/Amazon to troubleshoot this and resolve?

Hi, would be great to hear back from Ring as to where we are with this, many thanks.

Exact same issue here, firstick 4k with LG TV, works fine once remote is woken (if already on amazon input) can’t work out how to get it to switch to firstick to show the image if I’m watching another input source though, but that’s probably a question for another thread.

what I want to do is a described above ie

watching Sky

Doorbell rings or motion detected

tv switches to firstick input and shows display from doorbell or garden camera

once I have seen it and dealt with it, or by saying stop tv returns to original input

but need to get the first issue fixed before I can try and work out above I suppose

fix it please

2 Likes

same issue

Same issue

Hey neighbors! We did have a concern when Alexa was a bit picky on what needed to be said to show the Live View for your device, despite having said the command before. The Alexa command, “Alexa, show me (Ring device name)” did not work, and neighbors would have to say “Alexa, show me (Ring device name) camera.” This has since been resolved, and both commands should now continue to work. Therefore, whatever your device is named, such as “Front Door,” you can say, “Alexa, show me the front door,” or “Alexa, show me the front door camera.” If you can, please give this a try, and let me know if this is working for you now, neighbors!

If you find that Alexa is unable to pull up the Live View, please follow the steps we outlined in our Community post here. You may also need to ensure you are not in a Mode within the Ring app that disables the Live View from loading. If you would like a full list of what you can ask Alexa to do with your Ring device, please let me know and I’m happy to gather that in a post in the Community here. If you continue to have concerns, video examples of this would be most helpful!

When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as Youtube, and then share the link to the video in your reply.

Hi @Chelsea_Ring

The problem still remains. There is a video of the exact issue on page 2 of this thread:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Video-Doorbells/Alexa-show-the-front-door-not-working-on-TV/m-p/29871/highlight/true#M9862

As previously mentioned, the issue that Ring commands do not work via an echo device until the Fire TV remote has been pressed in some way, it seems as though this ‘wakes up’ the device and then the Ring ‘show me’ voice commands works every time. Again, exactly as per the video.

@shinedown78 Thanks for getting back to me and confirming that! I’ll have a member of one of my teams look more into this for us, but they requested the following:

• Timestamp of when this video was taken in the day and the time zone that you’re in
  • Type of Fire TV you have
  • Build number of your Fire TV

Once we have this information we can look more into this for you!

Hi the video was taken on the 28th of March 2020, however, I could reproduce the exact same video today as the problem still exists with no change whatsoever, and not just for me, but for others on this thread too…

Here are the details:

It is an Amazon Fire TV 4k stick on the latest firmware: Fire OS 6.2.7.1 (NS6271/2495). Also, my remote is on version 129.

Many thanks

@Chealse_Ring FYI, someone on this Amazon thread seems to suggest that this issue only effects the Firestick 4k devices, not the non-4k ones.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/feed/0D54P00007JLVjz

Confirming that this is the case for me. I only bought the camera yesterday and am already having several annoying issues, with Echo/Fire Stick viewing being just one of them.

4K FS shows “Waiting for Ring.com” then exits if we’ve been using our regular TV remote to control the television. Using the stock Fire remote to scroll through a page or two on the that Fire Stick forces the connection through. An older, non-4K Fire Stick in the bedroom connects after about 10 seconds, even if the remote hasn’t been used.

I have a 4k FireTV and having the same issue.

Having the same issue, FireTV 4K. I have to wake up with the remote before it will work. Also it not longer works unless I have the FireTV app open. It used to work no matter what input the TV was on. It would switch to the FireTV input and connect to the camera. Any idea what happened and will it be fixed?

I have the same exact problem. Has this not been solved yet? I’ve tried literally everything and nothing helps, the only thing which “temporarily” helps once or twice a day is if I turn on and off the box with USB and ADB debugging but then after a few minutes it stops working again. I really hope they find a solution soon, I can see by the date of this post that it’s a few months old now and nothing seems to have been done, why is that I wonder?!..

It looks like this problem is caused by the Fire Stick timing out and going to sleep. Your echo doesn’t seem to be able to wake up the Fire Stick.

To see if this is the cause of your problem, just press a button or two on your Fire Stick remote control. Then tell Alexa to show the front door.

Is that solution the official solution? Cause it doesn’t work on mine unfortunately. I’ve really tried everything I think and from what I can read around the Internet, the Amazon forums etc, there’s still a lot of people having issues with this.

1 Like