Alerts Open Fullscreen video

Nearly a month later and this issue is not resolved for ring spotlight cam wired on iOS, but the same camera this feature works on android

Just updated iOS app to version 5.16.0 and have the new setting flow that has been described here but this setting is still missing on my iPad for my wired spotlight cam

Hey @TechGuy42 , thanks for the update on this! I see your screen shots do show the proper menu flow, please try the following to access the fullscreen toggle: Tap device (Spotlight Cam) > Tap “device settings” Tile on the Spotlight Cam page in the App > Tap “Alert Settings” > Tap “Notification Preferences” > “In-App Notifications” should appear with a toggle. This toggle will control the full screen notifications.

1 Like

Thank you for getting back Marley, please see attached, unfortunately the toggle is not where you described or in any sub menu that I can find.

Please note: the latest android update (3.16.0) has now also removed the toggle for my android. I have already tried reinstalling the app, as well as contacting support to which i was informed that there is no intentions on repairing this in the near future.

You’ve found it @TechGuy42 , that is the very toggle you are looking for. The wording for the toggle changed, so it may look new, but rest assure that toggle will control full screen notification. Please see @Riley_Ring’s previous explanation here. If toggled on, you will get a banner in the app that you can choose to click on. If toggled off, events will open a full screen live stream automatically when you are in the app. Hope this helps!

@Marley_Ring wrote:

You’ve found it @TechGuy42 , that is the very toggle you are looking for. The wording for the toggle changed, so it may look new, but rest assure that toggle will control full screen notification. Please see @Riley_Ring’s previous explanation here. If toggled on, you will get a banner in the app that you can choose to click on. If toggled off, events will open a full screen live stream automatically when you are in the app. Hope this helps!

This does not help and is not at all a solution to the problem this thread was started over and by how many different users chimed in Im clearly not the only one upset its missing. How is this so difficult for yall to understand? The toggle, “alerts open full screen video” would automatically wake my device with the video feed live and open. This is incredibly important because these cameras cannot be connected to a stand alone monitor, so the only option is to keep a tablet or phone with the mentioned toggle on to automatically launch full screen videos upon motion alerts. This was an incredibly useful feature and it is quite upsetting for yall to remove it for no reason but to add insult to injury you think its okay. If certain users do not with to have full screen video automatically open then they had the option to turn that off. Yall dont have to go take the feature away from those who use it. Y’all need to step up your customer service, or rather lack there of… the longer i own this the less likely im becoming from recommending this to anyone.

2 Likes

Sorry this feature was not exactly what you were looking for. I can see now how this was confusing and apologize for the inconvenience. You are correct, our current full screen feature applies to “In-App full screen notifications” and would still require you to click the banner notifications if you are not in the App.

I’ve seen other neighbors use a tablet and a notification auto answer app to accomplish virtually the same thing as you are wanting. Of course I’m sharing this with the team as we speak, but in the meantime I always like to help where I can.

So, are y’all going to fix what you broke?

2 Likes

Have the same issue here trying to setup an old unused iphone to show ring alerts fullscreen, miss the option to get alerts to automatically open full screen, version 5.16.1

Got it to work on an android phone by downloading an old apk version (2.06.x) as also on android versions Ring developers randomly add and take away the option.

Wonder why it is so difficult for Ring to understand the issue…

2 Likes

I have this same issue on my iPad with my doorbell Pro. It started with the option to open full screen continually turning itself off and after corresponding (read that “arguing”) with technical support it was finally and silently fixed in an update. Then more recently it stopped working altogether, which is when I noticed the option was completely gone.

After poking around for awhile, I eventually found the Alert Preferences In-App Notifications option but was confused as to whether it should be on or off. Whereas the previous option was clear - toggle Open Full Screen option on or off - the new implementation is confusing and the instructions are unclear. I tried both options but the fullscreen ability has simply disapeared.

I agree with the sentiment around breaking something that was working and not having good support. I recently purchased 2 cameras to add to my ring network and was contemplating the addition of a hub but based on my experience over the last several months, I’m strongly contemplating returning the cameras for a refund and stop recommending your products.

As to the issue in this thread, how do I reset the option to have the popup (that never appeared) ask me if I want alerts full screen? I’ve toggled the option on and off at various times but nothing ever happens in the app while it’s open anymore.

2 Likes

Hi neighbors, I recently posted an update about how event notifications and the ‘Full Screen’ feature were recently updated. You can check it out here. I believe this may help explain some of the items you have discussed here. I look forward to hearing feedback!

Thanks for the update Riley but the problem is that the Open Full Screen option does not work at all. It was working fine until the app update and then stopped. As I said in my post, I’ve used the app with the “In-App Notifications” toggled in both the on and off positions and the video never opens when motion is triggered.

People in this thread have been saying this but no one seems to understand that the update broke the full-screen option. This happened once before, in May of this year, when the open full-screen option kept turning itself off. At that time, it was a bug in the app after an update and needed to be fixed. I believe this is the same thing. Please have your developers look at this problem.

3 Likes

Jennifer, I am having exactly the same problem. My app used to open in full screen but now it does not. I am on the latest version of the app 5.16.1.

Help please as I am now missing all my ring alerts and the device is now proving useless

3 Likes

I have version 5.17.2 and the option is still missing.

3 Likes

I would like to confirm that you have checked that the new In-App Notification" toggle is off, per the recent app updates. The app should have a toggle under your device settings, follow these steps to confirm it is off:

Tap “Device Settings”> tap “Alert Settings” > tap “Notification Preferences”> then confirm that “In-App Notification” feature is toggled off.

Having this feature toggled off should ensure a live event will automatically open to full screen when you are actively in the Ring app. If it is toggled on, or if you are not actively in the Ring app, then you will get a notification banner as normal.

If you are experiencing a concern with this feature not behaving as described here, can you please provide an example of the concern. A screen recording example of the behavior you are experiencing with the “In-App Notification” feature toggled off would be ideal for us to share with the app team.

Yes, I’ve followed all of the steps you’ve outlined (many times over). When the ring app is closed I do get the notification but when it is open, nothing happens when there’s motion. Sometime after the event however under the word “History”, a red notice appears that says “1 new event”. That is the only thing that happens when Motion Alerts are set to on and In-App Notifications are turned off. This is on the iOS Ring app on an iPad Pro.

2 Likes

Y’all’s idea of “customer service” is abysmal at best, y’all are more concerned with policing this forum rather than actually utilizing it to improve your products.

We’ve made it clear that we used the *alerts open full screen video* feature and now it’s missing. We’ve made it clear that we want the option returned that y’all inexplicably removed. We’ve made it clear that what we want is for the video feed to automatically open in full screen like it used to.

Please return the option.

4 Likes

I agree. I have been trying to get this to work on three different tablets for months and nothing works. I have to add several add on apps like Tasker to make it open automatically. Time to switch to Nest!

2 Likes

this is actually what i suspect is causing the issue. after an update about a month ago i lost the option in my apps video settings. include information on how to change live view and alerts settings from opening in full screen. you’re community help forum found the answer to be “update your app” which is not helpful as it does not correct the auto open in full screen video setting. there used to be an option within the app video settings that is no longer there, so i think updating the app was the problem. ios13 ring doorbell 2

2 Likes

You’re right that the problem is the app update (not the iOS update), which we’ve been repeatedly telling them since the last update. Either they don’t understand, don’t care or don’t know how to fix it but it continues to be a problem without a solution.

2 Likes