What is faster to turn the Ring Transformer lights: Alexa routines or linked devices

Context. I live in a private place, where my house is not visible, unless you drive through a private street. I wanted the outdoor lights to turn as quickly as a car approaches the house.

Problem #1: I tried to turn them on through the ring app when a motion detector is activated and through an alexa routine. I have gotten inconsistent results, where sometimes the ring linked feature is faster and sometimes the alexa routine is faster. Which one is recommended to use?

Problem #2: The second challenge, I ask the lights to turn off when no motion is detected for 30 minutes through an alexa routine. The issue is when I use the ring configuration to turn the lights through the linked devices when a motion occurs (and not an alexa routine), the lights turn off in 10 minutes, which is a pain, as a car passed through the motion detector, but then people are in front of the garage and the lights turn off when we are unloading the car for example.

Good question, @waltergandra! The best experience is going to come from accomplishing what you can through the Ring app. If given the option of a similar automation, the feature in the Ring app is most convenient for the event communication as it leave out an extra steps. While the Alexa integration or routines used are just a dependable, the speed is going to depend no factors such as wifi connection, number of automated commands to carry out, or even number of devices to activate. Of course, the most optimal option will be best found through trial and error with each.

As for the light duration, in the Ring app it looks like the maximum setting for lights to auto shut off after motion is detected is 5 minutes. If you have a linked Ring Camera with lights, the auto shut off duration for Cams is usually 15 minutes. Otherwise, the Alexa routine might be better for that use. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. :slight_smile:

1 Like