Steplight offline after failed firmware update

Hi. I recently purchased two steplights and a wired floodlight (plus bridge). Everything has been working fine for about a week, then today one of the steplights went offline. In looking at the logs, it happened after a failed firmware update today. The other steplight updated fine, and remains online.

Any way to recover from this failed update?

Hi @MushyMiddle! If the update has still not completed after waiting some time, the best first step will be to bring the Floodlight closer to the Bridge. While doing so, unplugging and plugging it back in will result in a power cycle. Upon powering up closer to the Bridge, the update should complete.

If this does not allow the update to complete, please reach out to our support team for further assistance. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response. Power-cycling the bridge (presumably what you meant) has brought the steplight back online, however it still sits at 1.8.0-9, while the other is at 1.8.2-10. I supose time will tell whether it properly upgrades or not.

P.S. Shortly after I posted this, firmware update failed again - the device is right next to the bridge at the moment. I had previously removed/re-installed the batts (100%).

P.P.S. Firmware update failed again, however the device remains online this time. Do I need to RMA this unit?

OK, now it failed again, and has gone offline again. Sounds like a bad update, or a bad unit. What’s next?

After two semi-frustrating chats with support (Ring, you need to improve your 2FA), the solution was to remove the steplight and re-adopt it, during which the app forced the update to the latest level. Here’s hoping I don’t have to do the same on each update cycle…

1 Like