Standalone motion sensor not turning on battery floodlight

Hello, everyone

I recently bought a Ring smart light motion sensor to pair with a battery smart floodlight I bought last year. The floodlight hangs on the eve shining into our backyard and I placed the motion sensor inside of our back porch near our door. The idea is that when someone steps out onto the porch, the floodlight will automatically switch on. I have them both in the same lighting group but it is very inconsistent. Most of the time, I get an alert from the app saying the motion sensor is detecting motion but it does not actually trigger the floodlight. I also have a schedule where they do not send motion alerts from 8 am to 6 pm. However, this problem is occuring outside of that time frame. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!

Hi @SpyderDan1985. Have you tried deleting the Group and setting it back up again? If not, I’d recommend giving this a try as it will refresh the connection between the devices in the Group. You can find steps on how to delete and set up a Group in this Help Center Article. Let me know if that does the trick for you! :slight_smile:

I have tried this but it still seems to be very inconsistent. Is there anything else I can try to make sure the standalone motion sensor triggers the floodlight in the lighting group?

Hey there, @SpyderDan1985! When adding a Smart Lighting Motion Sensor to your ‘Ring of security’, the option to add to a light group should allow for consistent functionality depending on settings. In your Ring app, please visit the light group containing your Motion Sensor. Here, you can confirm that the Motion Sensor itself has it’s motion detection enabled. You can also select the Settings tab of the light group which will contain an option for additional Motion Settings. When selecting “which devices should detect motion in” your light group, you’ll see the prompt right below it that states, " When the devices you select detect motion, all lights in this group will turn on.".

If this is no happening consistently, please check on any other options in the light group or Motion Sensor page, as well as any light scheduling options. I recommend also ensuring that your Motion Sensor and Floodlight are well within range of the Smart Lighting Bridge, and the Bridge is nearby the router, for optimal performance. I hope this helps! :slight_smile: