Ring bridge range

I have smart lighting in the front and backyard but have trouble ensuring the bridge can properly operate all devices. I just installed some solar lights on west side of house and they failed to connect. If I move the bridge closer to front windows the back lights will fail to connect. Is this to be expected?

Glad you asked @BrianHartley! The useful range between your Bridge and other Ring Smart Lighting products depends on the number of obstructions between them, and the materials they’re made of. The RF signal has a greater range than wifi, but you may have to experiment with your devices to find an optimal position.

Some common signal interferences are tough exterior walls, multiple walls or floors, and large appliances. As the Bridge communicates with your wifi, and the rest of your Smart Lighting devices communicate to the Bridge, please also ensure the signal is optimal between the router and Bridge. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can somebody throw us a bone here? Looking for something more like, 90% sure it will connect out to xx feet from a window, sometimes out to xxx feed from a window. And then the disclaimer can be put on about thick walls…

2 Likes

We keep hearing the textbook reason why a large foot print house has poor light to bridge signal. My bridge is in the center of my home, front lights “fair”, rear lights “fair”. All devices within 40 feet of bridge. Proprietary communication better than WIFI. My WIFI works twice the distance. Please fix or allow multiple bridges.

8 Likes

The limited range of the bridge combined with the non-answer answers makes it difficult to implement Ring smart lighting in any meaningful sense. I am hopeful that Ring will develop either a new and improved super bridge or allow for multiple bridges in a single system. Short of this, having the ability to handle up to 50 devices is moot unless you live in a small house. Please help us understand what Ring is doing to make this better!

3 Likes

How did this get marked as solution. How about best case scenerio with perfect line of site.

Also, can you use mulitple bridges to improve connectivity?

1 Like

They only allow one bridge per household/location. From what I can tell the bridge uses 900 MHz to communicate with the devices, so it should get better range than WiFi since lower frequencies generally get better range than higher frequencies. It’s hard for them to give an exact answer on the range because there are so many variables such as the materials your house is made out of and the location of the bridge. And like WiFi, if there are other devices such as cordless phones, etc., using the same 900 MHz frequencies, then the interference could also affect the range.

2 Likes

So you can have multiple cordless phones why can’t you have multiple smart lighting bridges?

1 Like

Let me make a recommendation as for trying to find a better placement for your bridge. I originally placed my bridge in the center of my home on the main (First) floor and I also have experienced some weak device to bridge connectivity issues. I found that when I moved my bridge to the second floor in the center of my house that the connectivity issues went away. It seems that moving the bridge to a higher elevation had improved the RF range to my devices.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

You guys at Ring Community must have had a life in a former occupation from the answers I’ve seen. How about just a simple answer about unobstructed distance for the Ring Bridge? No WiFi, EMI, EMP or RFI issues involved here, just a straight shot at a post. I want to install a Smart Solar Floodlight at the end of my driveway which is 800’ away from my house. I realize that is a stretch. So what is a reasonable distance to expect with unobstructed distance? Will it reach out…, say 300’, or not ?

1 Like

Here you go, happy reading. Ring uses the 900 MHZ range on the bridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa

Last post about this was Dec 2020. Now it’s June 2022 and still no improvement to Ring Connect or the addition of range extenders? Is Ring going bankrupt, can we trust buying your devices for continued near future support?

I live in a 60 yr old wood cabin (wood studs, thin wood siding and drywall interior) with no insulation. It has tons of single pane non-coated all original glass windows as well. That’s it. That’s the house. My yard stretches about 90 feet in all directions around the home. I have three Ring Low Voltage Transformers mounted outside to the wood siding of the home. I have three outdoor Ring Motion Sensors.
No matter where I put the Bridge, it cannot connect to all of these devices. The best place I’ve found is in front of a windows that can see all of the outdoor Motion Sensors. From this spot, the low-voltage transformers are 20’ away from the bridge. It gets “poor signal” to those (which is odd), but works most of the time. The two closest outdoor motion sensors are 10-15 feet away in direct line of sight and get good signal and work all the time. The sensor that is 90’ away and in direct line of sight never works. I’ve swapped motion sensors and rebooted all, and change out fresh batteries. Nothing I can think of gets it to work. What can I do?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.