Ring Bridge - Numerous Online Offline Messages

This started with my outdoor motion sensor. Changed batteries and it was fine. Then the pathlights started coming and going so changed those batteries. Was fine for maybe a day. Considered moving the bridge but it seems like its software or a firmware issue. Come on Ring…

I’m guessing its firmware as well but I can’t really look into it because ring appears to totally hide any infomration about when versions are released and what the intent of the patch is.

If there was a firmware release to either the bridge or pathlights in March I’d be willing to bet they messed it up. but the don’t seem to be paying any attention.

1 Like

Having the same issues; all 10 pathlights are losing connections and reconnecting dozens of times a day. Today the entire Bridge went offline and now won’t reconnect. When will this be resolved? I see many other customers are having the exact same experience.

Same issues here. I have about 15 smart light devices (pathlights and wired floods). They worked great for the first 2 months I had them then started randomly going online/offline hundreds of times a day about 2 weeks ago. I called ring and they replaced the Bridge. I just installed the new bridge and the lights are still doing the same thing albeit way less frequently… Only like 10 times a day now instead of hundreds. I called Ring again and they said this is now a known issue and they have no resolution time for it but will “add me to the list”.

1 Like

I’ve noticed within the past month there has been at least 1 firmware update to all of my smart spotlights, floodlight, and transformer. I’ve had these lights since very early Jan. and they’ve all worked great until maybe the past week or so with frequent offline/online messages. My ‘driveway’ spotlight gave me the most problems with nothing in the event history but ‘offline/online’ events. Rebooting the bridge helped but the light was very slow to respond to commands from the app.

All of my smart lighting is currently on firmware: 1.8.3-26

I’ve had some luck performing these steps with the devices giving me problems:

1. Power-cycle your bridge and wait a few minutes before proceeding. Allow it to fully come back online.

2. Take the light causing problems and bring it inside close to your bridge if at all possible. Remove the batteries, or just take the cover off, and leave the light off for about a minute.

3. Replace the batteries and cover of that light. Wait a minute or two until it comes back online and starts ‘talking’ to your bridge again.

Test the functionality of that light via your app. It should be online, detect motion, and respond to toggling the light on/off again.

Maybe try removing the batteries of all lights giving you problems at once. I think the important factor here is power on and reintroduce the lights you’ve powered off one at a time back to your bridge. Check functionality before moving on to the next light.

So far so good after trying the above on my spotlight. Hopefully this helps or works for someone.

2 Likes

Thanks @5150Joel ! Great advice. Neighbors, please try these steps. If it still does not help, let me know and we can take a further look into this for you. Thanks!

Doesnt help - I still have pathlights and wired floodlights that occasionally connect/disconnect. When I spoke to support they seemed to say this is a known issue and that we didnt have to do anything that Ring was on it. Which is it? Is it a known issue or should we continue to troubleshoot ourselves?

Is there any update to this. My lighting bridge is still offline and show updating for the last few days. It will not connect to the wifi and can not setup again. There is a problem and it is on there end if the others on the thread has the same problem. Please fix Thank you.

1 Like

Still happening here. Was fine for 2 weeks and out of nowhere started again. Completely annoying.

I reset the bridge several times from scratch (factory reset).

The reset will hold for at most one day and then various lights will in turn report disconnecting and then a few minutes reconnecting. All 6 lights on the bridge take their turn disconnecting and then in a few minutes reconnecting, it’s not just one light or two.

Encountering the same problem for the last couple of weeks. Since this is a problem with Ring that is being worked on, is there a way to turn off the Smart Lighting Bridge alert so we are not peppered with alerts all night while trying to sleep? I don’t care to have the audible alerts for this problem. Prefer to sleep…

2 Likes

I’m joining the club: My Ring Bridge is constantly sending “offline” messages. When I check it, the blue light is blinking meaning it indeed lost wifi. Then it randomly reconnects… and this repeats… and repeats… and repeats (you get the idea). I’ve done all of the troubleshooting measures, there is no power supply interruption issue, the wifi is strong. Another inexplicable Ring glitch (there are MANY) but I’m over $1K deep in Ring gear so reluctant to change systems till there’s no remaining choice (yes, I’m in denial). Maybe SimpliSafe or Nest will start offering credit for trading in other manufacturers’ inherently defective gear…? One can only hope that Ring gets it together and steps up to do what’s right or gets bought out by someone who actually cares.

2 Likes

I’m also having this issue. So annoying. Hope it is resolved soon!

I’ve ended up removing the bridge completely and the lights are working in dusk to dawn mode. Defeats the purpose of smart lighting but it’s saving battery power that was draining and I’m not getting the constant notifications. Hope they fix this.

What keeps going on with this? I am experiencing the same thing. Every morning my path lights go offline then go back online a couple minutes later. It’s annoying. It happens every morning. Reset my router and bridge, still nothing is fixed.

Yes my Pathway lights are doing this as well going online and offline and it seems like it happens during the day more than at night. My guess is that it’s either a Firmware update wtih the Pathway Light themselves or the Ring Bridge. The Pathway Lights Firmware vary at the momment some are on Firmware 1.8.3-29 some are on **1.8.3-26 ** Looks like most of the Lights are on 1.8.3-26 so maybe the 1.8.3.29 fixes the issue. Bridge **Firmware is 120300432 ** so it could be a Firmware issue on the Path LIghts end.

1 Like

Mine have stopped having the problem. I didn’t notice exactly when, but I think it was around the update that changed the WiFi and Bridge signal reporting from RSSI (dBm) to ‘Good’.

My steplights are now on firmware 1.8.3-29 and the bridge is on 120300432. Interestingly, the bridge still reports in RSSI.

The bridge also seems to do “Health Checks” very infrequently (the last reported Health Check was 5/8/20 3:45am, today is 5/12/20 9:25 am). Lights don’t say how frequently they do Helth Checks. It’s possible they just disabled Health Checks to avoid bouncing the lights so often.

It would be nice to hear back from someone from Ring.

I too have been experiencing this for weeks now. I honestly believe this is due to failed attempts to update the firmware. I had this happen before and that was the issue. There really is nothing we can do on the user end to correct this. It is an issue that only the Ring techs/devs can solve. I would suggest they immediately shut off the automatic attempts to update the firmware that usually occurs around 9 am EST until a solution can be found. The constant irritation of the devices trying to update every day is driving customers away or forcing them to quit using the smart lights. This occurred before and they finally fixed it, but they also shut off the auto-update while working on it. I admit I am getting to the point of shutting mine down as this every morning irritation is becoming unbearable. I hope that they will do this right away before more customers are lost.

Same issue here.

Spotlight 1.8.3.-29 , all signals ‘Good’ , battery 89%

Bridge 120300432 , signal RSSI -66

Last time happened: May-12-2020

Ok it seems like the Pathway Lights that are on version 1.8.3-29 do Not have the issue but the ones that are on 1.8.3-26 do. I just installed 3 new Pathway Lights all of them have the 1.8.3-29 my other 10 only one of them have the 1.8.3-29 while the rest of them are on 1.8.3-26. So my guess is at this point it’s some kind of issue with the 1.8.3-26 firmware so hopfully those will update. I wonder if there a way to manually update them?

1 Like