GE Smart Switch triggered on by doorbell cam motion

I installed a supported Z-Wave GE light switch that works fine with my new ring security system. However, I don’t see a way to link it to my front doorbell camera. The switch controls my exterior house lights. I’d like motion detected by the doorbell camera to turn on those lights (preferably at night). How do I do that? Thanks.

Hey @Nacho2. The Z-Wave compatible smart switches that you can add to the Ring Alarm Home Security System will have limited functionality through the Ring app. In addition, we do not have a way for the switches to be linked to the Doorbells and Cameras at this time, through the Ring app. You may be able to create a routine through Alexa for this, which you can learn more about here. The routine should be something along the lines of "when motion is detected at my x (device name), turn on x (device name for switch). In the Amazon Alexa app, you will need to ensure the lights switch and the Doorbell show up in available devices to control. Let me know if you’re able to experiment with this and getting it working that way! :slight_smile:

1 Like

That worked! Thanks for the tip with Alexa routines. Hopefully Ring can work this into a future app revision some day.

2 Likes