Floodlight wired installation

Why does the mounting bracket for the flood light wired say the letters GND and have a hole for the ground wire when the ground wire has nothing to do with the mounting bracket?

Hi @Dherns. This is so you can ground the mounting bracket as well if it is easier for the installation at the particular location. This is because the electrician or handyman that installs the device can either tie the ground wired together or put them both on a screw in the mounting bracket. In addition, some justridctions’ electrical code requires one or the other way too, so it may be best to check what you need to do to follow your local electrical code!

What do you mean by “tie the ground wire together?”

The Ring Smart Floodlight Wired doesn’t have a ground wire – at least the 2 I have don’t.

In this case, what purpose does attaching the ground wire to the mounting bracket serve? I’m curious because page 12 of the installation instructions specifically state " DO NOT attach the ground wire to the metal mounting bracket." " DO NOT" is both capitalized and bold in the installation instructions, so it seems pretty adament about not doing it.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/360044079111/Ring_Smart_Lighting_Floodlight_Wired_Manual_EN.pdf

And are you sure it’s okay to attach the ground wire to it? If so, why are the instructions warning against it?

Thanks for your help!

Hey @DukeCrow, happy to chime in for Chelsea here. For more specific mounting and installation questions like this, I’d recommend reaching out to our support team. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers availablehere. They’ll be able to go into more depth and ensure you are able to safely and properly get your Floodlight installed. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19here to see how to contact support.

Thanks! I’ll do that.

I was just hoping Chelsea would chime in with a little more info to clarify.

Have a great day!

1 Like

Did you get an answer from their support?