Bridge won’t connect

Hi neighbors! This should not be happening. Please ensure the Smart Lighting bridge is not too far from your router. The connection from router to Bridge is just as important as the connection from Bridge to Smart Lighting devices. Having everything close during setup will allow them to connect and update efficiently.

Try also removing and reinstalling the Ring app to ensure it is up to date, and optimally integrated with your mobile device. Once complete a setup or Smart Lighting connection should work! If not, check out ourtroubleshooting guide for the Bridge for more tips. :slight_smile:

I struggled with this for about 2 hours tonight. Using Android 8S, absolutely couldn’t get the doorbell connected. This on a device I’ve had for a few years now, so it feels like the byproduct of a release. Grabbed an old iPhone that I’m using as a hotspot, and grabbed the latest version. It connected immediately. Definitely an android issue. Community managers, please escalate immediately. This is an obvious defect.

You mean a Samsung S8? Most likely it’s the wifi settings. It happens when you have switch to data if no internet is connected turned on. When your phone tried to connect to the bridge, your phone sees no internet connection and switches to data in the background causing it to fail to connect to the bridge. Turn the setting off and it should work fine. Hope this helps.

I have the same issue with a Samsung 9, after having the Bridge work successfully for over a year. Resetting the router, uninstalling and reinstalling the Ring app, and resetting the bridge, for over a week, to the point my router shut down from all of the attempts. This is definitely a bug that should be escalated.

Hi @Eagle328. As @Eagle328 mentioned, this is most likely due to some of the settings on your Android device. Some of these settings include turning off your network smart switch, making sure your location services are on, and that the Ring app has all permissions allowed. We’ve also compiled a list of Android apps that are known to conflict with the Ring app, which can be found here. If you need help with this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

So I have to choose between security for my phone and ring bridge? Sure would have been nice to know this before I wasted the time I’ll never get back.

@Tom_Ring wrote:

Hi @Eagle328. As @Eagle328 mentioned, this is most likely due to some of the settings on your Android device. Some of these settings include turning off your network smart switch, making sure your location services are on, and that the Ring app has all permissions allowed. We’ve also compiled a list of Android apps that are known to conflict with the Ring app, which can be found here. If you need help with this, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I too am experiencing this same issue with multiple Android and iOS devices. I’ve gone to the store and exchanged it once already after speaking to Ring Support, but no luck. I’ve done a hard reset multiple times, disabled 5GHz wireless network, restarted my router, etc. and nothing. The network smart switch setting is disabled and I do not have any of the apps listed as possibly conflicting with the Ring app. Definitely seems like some sort of bug and would like to get notified once a fix has been found for this.

Having the same issue, spent many hours trying to resolve this nothing is working… tried everything above x amount of times

I found that if you clear the data in for the Ring App on your mobile phone and retry the setup process - I was able to join the bidge to the wifi network. I had all the same issues as everyone has reported and tried everything. This actually worked!

4 Likes

I worked with a fellow from their help line and he had me clear the data and then delet and reinstall the ring.ap. that worked too. could be your way saves a step in not needing to uninstall. We didn’t try that.

1 Like

I’ve given up on getting my Ring Bridge to connect to my Wifi. My phone connects to the bridge just fine but the bridge won’t connect to my Wifi. I’ve tried every suggestion listed in this forum to no avail. I have a Ring Doobell and a Ring Chime, both of which connected just fine when installed. I am returning the bridge and Smart floodlight. I do not want to waste any more time on something that should not be this difficult to get to work.

To ring support

I just couldn’t believe that this is so frustrating to connect ring devices to the bridge. There is ring support who monitors this community but yet seems like they are not doing anything to fix it. I know the frustration because I experience it. Hopefully, ring engineering will re-evaluate the process and come up with a more friendly set up because the devices are expensive

Just got my bridge and it want connect!! My iPhone 8 is up to date with firmware, and my Ring App connects to my cameras and all Ring items

Have followed ALL re-try instructions here 4X no success!! The bridge is only 12-ft from Base Station & Router:

I’ve about had it with this brand…

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have a Gryphon router at home and after trying everything, was able to get it to connect and work by disabling DNS Rebind Attack Protection on my router. Don’t know if anyone else has a Gryphon router, but if they don’t maybe check for a similar “security” setting on your route.

1 Like

OK, it’s connected and my 1st 2 smart blubs connected!!

After trying all suggestions in this thread X4, I was about to throw in the towel.

Then, I thought I’d do a cold re-boot on the Ring Base Station, which is as painful as having a tooth pulled for me!! When I reboot the Base, i then have to re-setup… my doorbell and all my cameras… what a pain!!!

Sooooooo, I’ll now find out if I uderstand the “custom scheduling” of the Smart bulbs…

I had the same problem, very frustrating. I followed some of the advice here and tried a different device. I tried everything with the iPhone and it didn’t work; but it worked on the first try with iPad. I assume it has something to do with the iPhone not connecting to non-secure networks.

1 Like

This really is a crappy situation. Most of the world uses Android and I understand that it is likely fixable with a setting change (tempeorary during setup) but this should be detailed in the app, provided here, and long term fixed! Do NOT put this on Android, you developed an Android App and sell to Android users. We should not be expected to have an IPad to use to install the bridge. I did happen to have an iPad and that worked but I tried for a LONG time to play with the settings on my Android Samsung Note9 phone with no success. Disgraceful!

I use an S9+ and could not get it to connect to my wifi. Tried on a G8 and like magic it worked. I couldn’t find a difference in the settings of the two.

1 Like

Thank you for this!!! Spent over an hour on my android with no results. Was about to return the bridge, and then tried on my iPad after reading your post. Thank you again! Worked perfectly on iPad.

1 Like

I went through this for 45 minutes, on Android, found this and did it with my iPad (WiFi Only) and it went through like a breeze… has to be a better way than going through all this frustration.