Alarm External Siren/Professional Monitoring

Now you have a UK forum and seem to (hopefully) be paying more attention to the UK market, there are a couple of things that are truly missing from this system.

Some sort of external siren/additonal siren I think is essential. I’m lead to believe these are frowned upon in the US but these are common in the UK and you would be hard pushed to find a system that dosen’t have one. Either a dedicated unit or even just allowing the camera sirens to be triggered in union with the alarm. I had an alarm event the other day and when I arrived at my house, I couldn’t hear it until I had opened the front door.

Also the assisted monitoring vs the professional monitoring in the US is night and day. I already get a push notification and an email so the only extra this adds is an automated phone call (and 4G backup which is actually quite useful). I only really find the phone call useful if i’m driving as I won’t see the email/notification. Actually having a human being phone you and being able to phone the police on your behalf would be invaluable.

Are either of these things currently in the works and be available any time soon? These are the 2 features I feel make this system fall short of the perfect alarm system.

9 Likes

Hey @harryy94. We’re glad we could bring the UK boards to the Community to help assist our UK neighbors with their specific concerns. After checking with my teams, we do not have any plans at this time to bring an external/additional siren to the UK Ring Alarm system, but I have passed on your feedback to them on this.

For the Professional Monitoring that we have in the US and some of CA, we are unable to bring this to the UK at this time, which is why we have the Assisted Monitoring. We’ve designed our Assisted Monitoring service to be in compliance with the unique requirements of UK security regulations. I greatly appreciate your feedback on this as well, and your desire to have this feature with your system. If we’re ever able to bring either of these features to our UK neighbors, we will make sure to post about this in our News and Announcements board. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

For the Professional Monitoring that we have in the US and some of CA, we are unable to bring this to the UK at this time

I find it interesting that you say Ring “cannot” bring the professional monitoring to the UK. At least one of the competitive products in the UK, SimpliSafe, does offer a professional monitoring service very similar to the Ring US offering complete with human operators, guard dispatch and police call-outs.

So I am sure that Ring could bring a form of professional monitoring, it’s really a question of whether there is demand, and whether Ring have the desire to do it. I’d certainly be keen to see professional monitoring brought to the UK.

3 Likes

Anyone know when an Outdoor siren for the ring alarm will be available in the UK?

3 Likes

This is another none-answer from Ring. Just what are the specific problems that make Ring “unable to bring this to the UK at this time”?

Simplisafe seem to be able to do it in the UK so just why can’t Ring?

1 Like

Would like to have options on having the dome sirens and external sirens in the UK. The base station isn’t effective alone

3 Likes

@Ashalad wrote:
Would like to have options on having the dome sirens and external sirens in the UK. The base station isn’t effective alone

Hello @Ashalad ,

From ‘across the pond’ here in the USA, others have been requesting the feature that you are looking for, with some slight variations. But you can see that you aren’t alone! We here in the USA still don’t have an external siren (our available current Dome siren is not rated/designed for outdoor use).

If you like the idea for an OUTDOOR SIREN (that can tolerate the outdoor weather) then make your vote be heard by clicking on the all the links below, and then click on the “Thumbs Up” icon on the beginning thread (upper-left side) of the originator’s post request.

More “Thumbs Up” Kudo vote will better get the attention of the Ring Teams. I apologize for any similar “Feature Board Requests” that I’ve might have missed. But if I can miss them, then so can the Ring Teams.

There are also many similar posts in other Ring forums, but now Ring Teams look for request here in the “Feature Board Request” forum, and so I did not include those other too numerous links. I just linked only “Feature Board Requests.”

Let’s all mass together our Kudo votes and efforts for an Outdoor Siren! If we can eventually get it here, then possibly it will be made available there. :slight_smile:

Submitted by @Dannyb1991

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Outdoor-siren/idi-p/25458

Submitted by @Jesterbw

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Outdoor-siren/idi-p/52914

Submitted by @deefish

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Outdoor-siren-strobe-combo/idi-p/34552

Submitted by @FarmerBrad

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Outdoor-and-additional-sirens/idi-p/29760

Submitted by @smiley250

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/An-Exterior-Siren-for-Canada-other-than-Dome-Sir…

Submitted by @LMR

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Need-a-very-loud-outdoor-siren-option-Also-the-a…

FYI to @RJArmitage , @Nickbrad , @scrosland , @harryy94

6 Likes

Is it possible to trigger the flood light or spot light cam siren when the alarm goes off? This way there will be no need to have an external siren.

@dpn wrote:

Is it possible to trigger the flood light or spot light cam siren when the alarm goes off? This way there will be no need to have an external siren.

Hello @dpn ,

No, the Ring Alarm Base Station can not automatically trigger any camera siren when the alarm goes off. You can activate the camera’s siren manually with your Ring App (some have manged to make this happen with the additional use of a 3rd party device).

And similar to my previous post, You are NOT alone in wanting this feature for the Alarm system to have the ability to also automatically sound the sirens in your cameras when the alarm system is triggered for an intruder. There are also many similar posts in other Ring forums, but now Ring Teams look for request here in the “Feature Board Request” forum, and so I did not include those other too numerous links. I just linked only “Feature Board Requests.” The Ring Teams notice the requests with a large number of “Thumbs-up” votes. This and variations of this idea are already on the Feature Request Board. Make your voice be heard and add your “Thumbs-up” vote to these links by clicking on the Thumbs-up Icon that is on the left side of the author’s initial beginning post (I’ve probably missed a few similar links) :

Submitted by WesleyAldred :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-Alarm-Activation-sets-off-Ring-Cam-Siren/id…

Submitted by DrTej :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Activate-Siren-on-all-Camera-s-and-Alarm/idi-p/2…

Submitted by DanHolloway :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-Alarm-link-sirens/idi-p/56814

Submitted by MikeP :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Alarm-Base-Station-should-sync-with-Floodlight-c…

Submitted by Leslew :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Ring-alarm-siren/idi-p/49072

Submitted by PaddyMc :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Alarm-Siren-linked-devices-to-ring-chimes/idi-p/…

Submitted by Rand :

https://community.ring.com/t5/Feature-Request-Board/Allow-us-to-Utilize-Our-Flood-Sirens-during-Alar…

UNITE and Thumbs-up VOTE! Get Ring Team’s Attention! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah, I see that it appears now all the above links have been ’ merged’ into a single giant request by the Ring Moderators. Thank you Ring Moderators for making it easier to give our “Thumbs Up” Kudo votes for those authors whom requested this on the Feature Request Board. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: I do like the ‘single-stop’ placement merging, Cool Cool :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Kudos to you too!

2 Likes

Thank you for that. I didn’t know. I thought the entire Ring ecosystem was a proper ecosystem but I guess not. I do have home assistant running so I can integrate all of this but still I would prefer Ring to be a self contained ecosystem like Simplisafe, for example.

1 Like

The lack of professional monitoring is dissapointing but I can get by without it. I also understand that the UK is quite strict on automated police call outs.

However the external siren to me is a massive gap and has made me consider scrapping the system altogether. It would simply be a siren that they already have in a weatherproofed box connected ZWave that you can mount outside… nothing ground breaking here and something the Yale Smart Alarm already has.

I have used SimpleCommands to link a 12v Siren to a smart plug. When the alarm is triggered, the power is switched on. However this does not take advantage of the base station’s 4G/Battery backup, so it’s only a temporary solution.

2 Likes

I’m also in agreement here. We pay teh same, if no tmore, over here in the UK, but always seem to get less of a deal!

Professional monitoring I can kinda understand - but an external siren is a no brainer. So is better integration of cameras with the ring alarm to make it a ‘true’ security system. Yes I know we have modes, which are good, but when deactivated I may want to link a camera to my doorbell, but cant because the alarm system is in decativated mode!

Come on Ring, all these updates and we cant have what seems to be a simple enough solution that other companies have already implemented?

3 Likes

Ring has listened to the “Feature Request” Board and now, here in the USA, has made it possible to link the cameras (which can make the “Siren” sound) be linked so that when the Base Station siren goes off, the cameras can also siren too (in addition to activating recording)! I got all excited so I immediately went to my Ring App to link mine also! But, I was briefly disappointed when I tried to do it because I did not initially see any change in the App. It initially appeared to still only make the cameras record when the alarm sounded . . . until I looked more closely. So, yes, the camera sirens CAN be linked now by:

• Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Base Station > Linked Devices > Alarm Sounding >

After selecting “Alarm Sounding”, this is where I was briefly disappointed because I thought it was still just to select the cameras to only record. Then I noticed the “Explanation-Point” Icon, just right of the “Camera” Icon. Now I understood that by selecting this “Explanation-Point” Icon, it links the camera’s siren to the alarm too! So after selecting “Alarm Sounding” then:

• Select “Explanation-Point” Icon for the cameras you wish to sound off their siren with the Base Station > then “Save”.

If this new feature is not yet available in the UK, hopefully it will be very soon! Wonderful! Thank you Ring! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If this new feature is not yet available in the UK, hopefully it will be very soon! Wonderful! Thank you Ring! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Can some one from ring confirm if this is coming to the UK and if it’s being roled out in batches. ring have a proven record of not bringing US devices and features to the UK.

I want to make sure this is avaialble before I replace my cameras with ring devices. Also can ring provide a list of supported devices?

1 Like

Hi,

I just checked the menu option that Boone listed and happy to report that this is available for us in the UK :slight_smile:

I have an indoor cam and a stick up cam and they both give me the option to sound the siren when the alarm is sounding.

Cannot confirm for Spotlight or Floodlight as I do not have either of these but I’d have thought they would.

Cheers,

Harry

2 Likes

Hi neighbours. You spoke, we listened. I hope you all enjoy this feature! Thank you @Boone for sharing the great news. :smiley:

2 Likes

I am in the UK and have set it up as you have said. Thanks

@Boone wrote:

Ring has listened to the “Feature Request” Board and now, here in the USA, has made it possible to link the cameras (which can make the “Siren” sound) be linked so that when the Base Station siren goes off, the cameras can also siren too (in addition to activating recording)! I got all excited so I immediately went to my Ring App to link mine also! But, I was briefly disappointed when I tried to do it because I did not initially see any change in the App. It initially appeared to still only make the cameras record when the alarm sounded . . . until I looked more closely. So, yes, the camera sirens CAN be linked now by:

• Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > Base Station > Linked Devices > Alarm Sounding >

After selecting “Alarm Sounding”, this is where I was briefly disappointed because I thought it was still just to select the cameras to only record. Then I noticed the “Explanation-Point” Icon, just right of the “Camera” Icon. Now I understood that by selecting this “Explanation-Point” Icon, it links the camera’s siren to the alarm too! So after selecting “Alarm Sounding” then:

• Select “Explanation-Point” Icon for the cameras you wish to sound off their siren with the Base Station > then “Save”.

1 Like

Yes, I am in the UK and have set it up ok.

@Jamzieth wrote:

Can some one from ring confirm if this is coming to the UK and if it’s being roled out in batches. ring have a proven record of not bringing US devices and features to the UK.

I want to make sure this is avaialble before I replace my cameras with ring devices. Also can ring provide a list of supported devices?

@Jamzieth wrote:

Hello @JeffMCFC ,

I’ve seen a few others in the U.K. including @harryy94 on 12/04/2020 earlier in this thread, that have confirmed that it is available in the UK. :slight_smile:

FYI @Jamzieth