video recording length

@estmatic wrote:

@Marley_Ring @Jennifer_Ring or some other moderator, maybe you could change the accepted solution for this thread? I’m not really sure why that post was ever marked as a “solution” since it seems to ignore the original question. Maybe modify that post or pick another one since the feature has now been implemented, at least for the battery cams.

P.S. Any idea why my user name tags don’t work? I don’t seem to have the option.

Yes! An excellent idea @estmatic , to change from the previous old “Accepted Solution” in this this thread, to the newer and more accurate “Accepted Solution” !!!

It would help reduce any future confusion.

@Marley_Ring , @Jennifer_Ring , or @Riley_Ring Community Managers, is this possible and can you adjust/change the “Accepted Solution”?

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047386552-Understanding-Video-Recording-Length-

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Device-Tips-and-How-To-s/Choosing-Your-Video-Record-Length/ba-p/52620

P.S. @estmatic , the instruction for the People-tagging method (link below) does not work for me either. So instead, I just “Copy & Paste” the name-tags, or use the “Quote” button, to achieve the people-tagging effect:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Community/How-To-Tag-Someone-in-a-Post/m-p/626

1 Like

Hi neighbors! Excited to share our new feature of Choosing Your Video Record Length ! @Riley_Ring wrote a great piece on the new feature that includes details on the roll out ( it is **slow rolling out, we appreciate your patience while we work to get it to all our neighbors and their devices!), **new video record lengths, and more! Thanks to @Boone & @estmatic, I’ll be accepting this post as the “Accepted Solutions” to help neighbors find more information on this new feature (great idea :smiley: ). Please let us know if you have any questions!

3 Likes

Right now it seems very limited in devices such as doorbell and stickup cam battery only. What I would really love is the spotlight cams and floodlights as well as stickup cams that are powered. When will we see these?

@Boone (or anyone else that has the feature enabled) could you verify that you are actually getting the longer videos? I switched my camera to record for 120 seconds but they only end up being 42 seconds long. This is NOT due to the motion verification/stop feature. I’ve tried it with that feature off and on and it makes no difference for me.

See this other thread for a more detailed explanation and video:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/bug-with-new-recording-length-options/td-p/55389/jump-to/first-unread-message

Tại sao bạn đăng thông tin cá nhân trên đây?

@estmatic wrote:

@Boone (or anyone else that has the feature enabled) could you verify that you are actually getting the longer videos? I switched my camera to record for 120 seconds but they only end up being 42 seconds long. This is NOT due to the motion verification/stop feature. I’ve tried it with that feature off and on and it makes no difference for me.

@estmatic ,

Yes , I am actually getting 120-second longer recordings on my Video Doorbell 2 and on all my outdoor Plug-in Stick-up cameras. I can also playback & download the entire 120-seconds worth of the recorded videos too.

You can confirm if your settings are really set for 120-seconds:

Main menu > Devices > select camera > DEVICE SETTINGS > Video Settings and “Video Recording Length” should display “120s.” If it does not, select Video Recording Length > on Max Recording Length select the “xx seconds” time > select 120-seconds and then remember to tap “SAVE” (upper-right-corner).

After I changed my settings to 120-seconds, I did not get the full time on the very next motion-activation, but then after that, on all subsequent motion-activations I did get the full 120-seconds. :slight_smile:

On my Video Doorbell 2, I wasn’t getting my full 120-seconds because my Motion Verification was ‘enabled’ and that resulted in “trimmed recordings” when the triggering motion stopped. When I disabled Motion-Verification, I did indeed get full 120-second recordings that I could fully playback.

As for your weird 42-second issue that you wrote about in this thread, I am not experiencing any of these issues. I would try a Hard Reset (holding reset button for 30-seconds and then complete the set-up) to see if that clears out any possible corrupted Firmware that might be causing your “Bugs.” This might also fix your strange “Sped-Up” playbacks too.

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/bug-with-new-recording-length-options/td-p/55389/jump-to/first-unread-message

You also wrote, “Event History show up as being 1:05 – 1:07, which seems odd since they are supposedly 60 seconds.” I too have noticed a few extra seconds recorded beyond my 120-second selection time (I generally get 125-seconds). But I’m happy that at least it isn’t shorter than the set time.

As for my plug-in Stick-up cameras, the “People Only Mode” should not, and does not, affect my set recording times.

I hope you find this information useful :slight_smile:

@Chaosad wrote:
Right now it seems very limited in devices such as doorbell and stickup cam battery only. What I would really love is the spotlight cams and floodlights as well as stickup cams that are powered. When will we see these?

@Chaosad ,

All my powered Plug-in Stick-up cameras DO already have the new extended Video Recording Length options.

As @Jennifer_Ring wrote in the “Solved! Go to Solution” post, this new feature is a slow roll out. Some locations are getting it earlier than others, and even some devices are getting it at different times. My powered Stick-up cameras received the new firmware about 5 days before this new option showed up in my doorbell.

But the Ring Teams are working to get this out to all neighbors and ALL their devices.

We just have to be patient. :slight_smile:

How do you choose the video length recording time

@Asshole52 wrote:
How do you choose the video length recording time

Hello @Asshole52 , you can click this link to learn about this new Video Recording Length option, and how to select it: Choosing Your Video Record Length

or go to directly to:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Device-Tips-and-How-To-s/Choosing-Your-Video-Record-Length/ba-p/52620

:slight_smile:

So I read that last message and did it. Its still only 120 seconds. As someone said before, it should record as long as there is movements. If a person is on your property, they are probably assessing for that amount of time and then doing bad things. Not much of security if it stops recording.

We are switching to nest. Yes have been a ring camera user doe over 6 years. I loved their products when they first came out but ring as a company has consistently been unresponsive to the needs of its customers and I’ve even gone so far as to email the CEO directly a couple of times asking for specific features and improvements only to never see them implemented after years of waiting on promises never delivered.

The nest camera Nest Cam IQ Outdoor. is amazing based on reviews and has the highest qualify camera currently available in these types of platforms. While we have been ring customers for years, I have decided to pull the switch and make the change from ring over to nest. Their plans are finally comparable to ring and the camera quality is significantly better which is what it’s all about.

Furthermore , you can integrate the thermostat and other products. Ring has lost its focus. The latest product that ring just released?.. a dumb indoor drone that flies around inside your house to take pictures and video. Oh boy. That’s cool amd all but think about all th wasted cycles of developer time on that single product when all we really wanted was a more high quality security camera. Thanks ring for 6 years of service but goodbye. You lost your way!

1 Like

Hi, i have this issue also, no matter how i adjust it i get a very short clip…

Hello neighbors, the updated motion detection feature that gives you the ability to create customizable motion zones has the Motion Verification feature include into it. So you now have Motion Verification with Customizable Motion zones. These features were combined to give you a more precise motion detection experience on your battery devices. This is why you are no longer seeing Motion Verification as a separate feature in your app. With the verification being built in, this feature will trim videos to avoid false or unnecessary motion/ recordings. Check out this help center article about recording length, which mentions the Motion Verification. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Mine is hardwired and I’m only getting 30 seconds . My son was almost hit by a car right in front of our home ring didn’t pick it up. Neighbor’s were looking for there dog they walked right thru out yard ring didn’t pick it up. But if a car drives by it picks it up. Please help me to set my ring up so it’s catching and recording the moments it’s ment too.

Hi! New ring user here and I just signed up for ring protect plan as well. I found this thread and I was wondering if a solution has ever been found so that recording can continue fully until the motion stops? I am a younger female and I really was trusting ring to give me peace of mind and help me stay safe. With recordings now cutting off at a max of 120sec I fear a lot of important recordings could be cut short if someone were to wander my property or attempt to break in. Is there any option for recording continually until motion stops so it captures everything or am I just out of luck and down a few hundred bucks?

Hi @Kayleeric7. I would suggest adjusting your Motion Frequency. This will ensure that you capture motions without a dwell time between recordings. You can learn more about Motion Frequency in this Community post here. I hope this helps!

Hi all. My recordings stop during a motion event. Recording shows UPS pull up & stop at my house, driver gets out & recording stops. This is useless if it does not show him & package on porch. Jim

Same here, stops in middle of a delivery!!

Hi @jimmypasc. I would recommend reviewing the marked solution as well as some of the other suggestions by members of the Community as well as members of our team. If none of these solutions work for you, our support team is available to take a closer look at one of the numbers available here. :slight_smile:

Length and frequency needs to be adjusted. Was hoping to use ours to monitor slip and falls or other mishaps in our area. The camera doesn’t buffer or activate in time, nor maintain the recording long enough. There should be a constant feed option available. RING are missing a huge market without this fix. This should be added and implemented with 30-60 days storage.