video recording length

I am returning mine to Best Buy this Wednesday for the very same reason. I don’t really care that battery life isn’t six months. I would be happy with two weeks. I had even ordered extra batteries (Now canceled). All I really want is to see the entire event if its 5 seconds or five minutes. When we are home I disarm motion anyway.

Just purchaseed another battery cam. first one records 30 seconds. newest one only records 20 seconds. my app does not give the option to adjust the recording time as the help instructions state.

1 Like

I’ve followed this thread for quite some time and it’s probably clear to everyone here that these ring products are flawed and do not work for their intented purpose.

It is also apparent that ring does not care about those of us who have already spent money on these devices.

Perhaps the only way to get their attention is to review their products online and through social media (like their Facebook page) and inform people about the huge inherent problem with their products and why people shouldn’t purchase them.

If the reviews results in decrease sales and profits I’m almost certain we will get a response from ring. Unfortunately The likelihood is that most of us have moved on to better products/companies and our experiences with ring has been nothing but a waste of money. A bad experience from an irresponsible company.

I would encourage everyone here to review their products

Stay safe everyone

1 Like

20 seconds is ridiculous for a paid subscription on my spotlight cam connected to a solar panel. I have a SkyBell doorbell camera it is records for 30 seconds, saves to cloud with no subscription.

1 Like

Yep a new cam I’ve just bought stops recording at 20 seconds, my older ones do 30… I don’t understand ring, we are all asking for longer and they are doing opposite.

4 Likes

So it’s getting worse?!? I just want a camera that keeps recording during activity or let’s me set the length. I can’t believe this is getting worse. I mean it makes no sense whatsoever with the price per gig of cloud storage at say AWS going down not up. I guess it’s just like everything else amazon owns. Heck even amazon is worthless anymore. It took weeks to get packages the last few months with prime and they didn’t refund any of my membership fee so it’s obvious they don’t care about their customers. I’m really tired of this, I want a camera that has adjustable length of recording. It doesn’t seem that complicated. I understand if they want to place a limit on it, I’m not asking for continuous recording just the ability to have a couple of minutes at least. I was really hoping this would get better not worse…sad.

3 Likes

Yea its the main reason i switched. Now can record up to 300 seconds imagine that on a wireless camera. Guess they figured it out. Stll have one stick up but more of a toy.

1 Like

My device IS powered hard wire but still only records 30". Even if it were the 60" that it’s meant to be, it would not be enough… without longer recording time, the device is absolutely useless as virtually every intrusion is longer that 30 to 60". Ring, it’s time to get this right… at least two minutes required… failing that, this system will be replaced. Listen to your customer base!

1 Like

Hey neighbors! Thank you for your continued input here. We do value the feedback you provide us on your experience with your devices and how long the recordings are. Rest assured that we will continue to pass on the feedback you have to the appropriate teams, as we are always looking for ways to improve the neighbor experience for you all.

For the length of video recordings, any devices that have been set up before March of 2020 should have a default of 30 seconds for the maximum recording length for battery operated devices, and 60 seconds for hardwired device. Any devices set up after March 2020 will have a default of 20 seconds for the maximum recording length for battery operated devices, and hardwired devices have stayed at 60 seconds for the max. In the event you device seems to stop recording at 20 seconds, this may be due to the new feature “Motion Stop” that we have implemented. You can learn more about this in our Help Center Article here.

We also are slowly rolling out a new feature known as Video Recording Length, which allows you to change the time your battery operated device is recording, letting you choose from 15, 20, 25 and 30 seconds (30 seconds still being the max). Since this is a slow rollout, you may find your device does not have this feature at this time, but rest assured that this should be fully rolled out by the end of the year. You can learn more about this feature in our Help Center Article here.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and concerns, and feel free to continue to share your feedback for us to pass onto the appropriate teams. If you have any immediate concerns with your device that need to be addressed, please contact our support team directly, which you can learn more about how to do so here. Thank you, neighbors!

1 Like

Chelsea,

As you have been a part of the thread for this very topic for over 11 months I know you are personally more than aware of the constant complaints regarding the inadaquacy of Ring’s default video recording settings of 30 seconds (battery operated) and 60 seconds (wired). So, to say the least, when I initially saw your email I was briefly elated, hoping that perhaps Ring had finally, and I do mean FINALLY, stepped up to the plate.

However, as I continued reading I began believing it was the same old Ring propaganda, as the verbiage is identical to past posts by yourself and other Ring colleagues. However, the manner in which you wrote following sentence made me realize it can be interpreted in at least two ways, so I am posting this to determine from you the correct meaning. You wrote, “We also are slowly rolling out a new feature known as Video Recording Length, which allows you to change the time your battery operated device is recording, letting you choose from 15 to 30 seconds.” Are you saying that the “Video Recording Length” feature allows users to only choose a set recording time of between 15 to 30 seconds or are you saying, which would actually be a step in the right direction, that users can set recording lengths IN INCREMENTS of 15 to 30 seconds beyond the current max of 30 seconds, (or 20 seconds for post March 2020 activations), thus allowing battery operated cameras to record beyond 30 seconds? And if so, what is the new maximum recording time?

Because Ring has been inundated with recording complaints for over 11 months I hold a little hope that perhaps you all have FINALLY listened. But the skeptic in me is actually leaning toward the belief that your words are hollow, that you are simply regurgitating the same lines that have been written in the past by a host of Ring Community Managers in an attempt to pasify, when in fact they have actually infuriated. I am hoping your post doesn’t mean Ring has been spending the last 11 months developing in the wrong direction so we can have a shorter recording time, as I believe you’ve already done that. So please prove me wrong; please prove that Ring, although very slow to act, is finally listening to its customer base. Please clarify the meaning of your post … what is the meaning of, “…letting you choose from 15 to 30 seconds.”

7 Likes

@blackbear110 You had such high hopes. Unfortunately, they’re unfounded. From the linked help article:

"What are the minimum and maximum lengths I can the recording for? "

"The video recording length can be set to 15, 20, 25, or 30 seconds in length. "

"Note : Adjustable Video Recording Length is a feature that we are slowly rolling out to all our neighbors with the above compatible devices. Out of the list of compatible devices above, we expect these devices to have this feature before the end of 2020."

This is a serious, serious drawback. If I had known this before I bought the Ring camera, I would not have bought it. This should be right up front of all your promotional material. This camera does not make anyone safer. It is extremely misleading to claim it does.

I just installed this camera today and was stunned to find it does not record for more than 20 seconds. Even worse, it LIMITS THE NUMBER OF RECORDINGS YOU ARE ALLOWED IN A 15 MINUTE PERIOD.

This is an incredibly stupid limitation.

To claim it has to do with the battery is a hoax. This company is trying to operate on the cheap and does not want to devote the server space it would take to provide a quality product like Nest does.

Ring is dishonest. I can’t wait to write my review on Amazon.

8 Likes

There’s a recent review posted about a break in that was not captured by a stick-up cam due to the recording length. Feel free to mark it as “helpful” so it gets more visibility.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1LCRQUNS4FSH8

5 Likes

Hi Chelsea,

Thank you for your detailed update to this thread. Please forgive me, I am confused, if not perplexed. All your customers are complaining about the already short recording times and asking for options to lengthen this.

You say this feedback is passed to your team’s, so how on earth after all the feedback have they come up with an idea to reduce recording length to 20 seconds (even on stick up cam wired as you treat it as a battery) and then say at some point this year you’ll roll out an update that will let us configure recording length up to 30seconds.

So after listining to our feedback, you’ve made it worse and offered to provide a facility to let us adjust length to what it was before.

Am I missing something? Or are Ring simply ignoring it’s customer base and customers needs? If others can achieve continuous recording, Ring with the might of Amazon and AWS I’m pretty certain can.

Who can we escalate this to? Should we all contact Jeff Bezos directly? After all doesn’t he want the most customer centric company in the world?

5 Likes

Yea I’m scratching my head also why are they going backwards?? My Arlo cams have up to 300 seconds ( 5 minutes) and battery operated.

3 Likes

Hi neighbors! We’re definitely taking a further look into this as well and seeing what may be going on. Just to confirm a few things in this post: new setups are defaulted to 20 seconds, old devices have 30 seconds – correct? All are battery devices?

I just sent over an email explaining these details and the frustrations you are experiencing. As always, we will certainly keep you posted but know we are actively taking a look into this for you.

Thank you

1 Like

Just to echo what others have said, I love everything else about my Ring StikCam, but the recording length is a deal breaker. The standard for most security systems is it records until motion is no longer detected. I know you are controlling record length due to the incredible amount of data you have to house for your customers, but this is the wrong way to do it. Maybe you should consider raising the Protect plan prices or offer a local storage device option.

At my previous home, I used a Night Owl two camera wireless system that included a base unit that store recordings locally. It worked great, but at my new home I did not have access to electric outlets near where I needed to place the cameras…so I purchased the Ring battery stik up cameras.

This 20…soon to be 30 sec limitation in my opinion leaves me unprotected. Sounds like most other customers agree. Please revisit this decision…and factor in customer feedback!

2 Likes

Hi neighbors – I’m back! Can you please respond to this thread if it is ok with you to reach out to the email address associated with your Community account. I need specific examples for the team. Thank you!

Yes - feel free to reach out to me.

Jennifer,

I really don’t understand what examples you are looking for that you haven’t been able to find in the 11 months of complaints that are part of the “video recording length” thread, but you’re welcome to contact me at the email address associated with my account.

1 Like