video recording length

Chelsea,

I’ll keep it short. If you had, in fact, read this entire thread, you would be fully aware that your response is an insult to your customers and to those of us who take the time to come to the support communities and seek out help.

This limitation is unacceptable, no matter how you try to dance around it. I have a hard-wired Ring doorbell, but it has a 30-second limitation, not 60-seconds. If the issue is storage space, then offer a plan with more storage and charge a couple of bucks more per month. But the programming is the easiest thing in the world to address. A halfway competent high school kid with a clue about programming could fix this in 15 minutes.

8 Likes

This thread started in July of 2018 and all that the Ring team states through the entire thing is that “they will look into it”. One of the managers’s even mocked us saying that Rome wasn’t built in one day. Really??

You people have had more than enough time to get up off your lazy a** and fix this problem that most of your customers have been complaining about for years. We pay monthly fees and get nothing for it. I’m two seconds away from hopping on Nest and throwing Ring in the garbage, accepting it as a total loss. Nest has continued video and their app is a lot more user friendly to use than Ring by far. Did I mention that they listen to their customers and act right away. Maybe you should take some pointers from them.

What’s even worse is the 2 new useless features that they came out with today that enables you to cut your video length even more when there’s no motion. Whaaaaat!? I give up.

The track that Ring is on right now will eventually collapse due to poor management that lacks team structure with no solid customer service.

5 Likes

I have posted here before about missing thing with 30 sec recording. I tried the arlo pro sewries cams to try them for 30 days. Wow to my suprise it records motion up to 300 seconds and an option for a set time to record any motion and they are battery like the stick up cam. Amost all the options people here expect but dont have are there with arlo. Snap shot still not availabe for gen 3 stick up but gee they have it and app much better. So these options shouldnt be that difficult for ring to to figure this stuff out.

1 Like

This issue is not solved. As of March 2020, i also have this issue and agree 30 seconds is inadequate. It should be the users discretion if they need to charge the battery more. This is a failure of this product.

2 Likes

This is an URGENT issue. We had our house broken into yesterday. The burglar tries to get into the window, but then the recording cuts out after 30s so you don’t see how they actually got into the house. I couldn’t tell the police how they got in.

https://youtu.be/HtUyusiGGSg

4 Likes

Yea exatly why is switched Arlo and selling ring. they just dont get it. The arlo are battery operated also but u can adjust recording times. I may drainbattery faster but its on me if i choose the option.

1 Like

You got it, Ring just don’t get it, always an excuse, and they add a new feature, motion verification, that records less, clueless

1 Like

Terrible response. Product is garbage if it can only record 30 seconds.

1 Like

I bought the battery cam this week. Was very disappointed to see it only records 30 seconds no matter what I do! This was supposed to be a security camera!

Luckily I can return the cam free of charge, and go with Ring’s competitor.

Community managers should not be the ones writing to customers about this - by now it should be the senior management!

Bye forever!

Thats what i did and could’t be more happy to have many options in a security cam that i and others expect. And they are battery so no excuse for lack of features.

I wouldn’t have purchased this had I known the recording time is so short. It diminishes its value but I can’t afford the more expensive systems.

I also wouldn’t consider this issue resolved… Motion frequency is not even an option anymore, motion sensitivity is and nowhere ever helped anyways…
No crime can be done in 30 sec. Also, since this is public knowledge and criminals know this, what would stop them from activating the cameras, waiting a few seconds and then doing the crime?
If you’d like to keep your customers focus on on really fixing this before someone takes over your market share… With cheap technologies nowadays, it wouldn’t be that difficult.

The thing that drives me crazy is that even wired version of the ring has maximum recording time of 60 seconds and then cuts you off. I’m also switching to Arlo and selling my Ring, this is just completely unacceptable.

1 Like

New to ring 2 days playing with setup. It is completely possible to give a range of video length through firmware. Ring would be able to allow customers to select the length of video. Just remember videos are not store by ring but by another company. Which may incur additional cost for the storage of longer videos for both the customer and Ring. I agree so far most of my videos length fall short of my preference. I would at least like the option for longer video recording

4 Likes

I definitely agree! I just purchased the Ring. It will be a month on May 1st. What I don’t like about is the length of the recording. The records NOT LONG ENOUGH!!! 30 sec really??? How can it be adjusted for longer recording??? I read the help answer. It say take off the ring to adjust the lemon the battery pack. I still don’t see where or how to adjust it. Can I get a REFUND??? I’m not satisfied and having the Ring doesn’t help if it ONLY records for 30 sec.

1 Like

You cant adjust it 30 is max on battery cams. and 60 on wired. Other brands make much longer and adjustable time settings.

Although, even the wired stick up cam seems limited to 30 seconds… It seems to act like a battery stick-up cam regardless of power source.

2 Likes

Agreed 100%. Just bought the battery operated camera for my backyard and deck because a few of the kids toys had gone missing. After I got it all installed and hung up, I Was really disappointed that it only record 30 seconds of video regardless if someone was still triggering the motion sensor. Now I have to pull it down box it up and return it. At least make it configurable to the user. Defeats the whole purpose of the system.

2 Likes

It appears that you’ve been saying this for months & nothing had been done despite a LOT of posts about this issue. We bought your product expecting it to work properly & it shutting off after 30 or 60 seconds while motion is still going on is unacceptable! With this many complaints after however many months is ridiculous. Perhaps I’ll cancel my subscription, take my can back to the store for a refund & get real came that WILL record for longer than the stupid 30 second limit you’ve forced on us…with NO fix in site!

1 Like

Can you please tell me exactly how you accomplished this as I see no way to keep live view active, or to set up a way for it to immediately go to live view without touching or talking. Thank you for any help you can give