video recording length

I agree. 30 seconds on battery is not enough. It either needs to be a configurable option or until the activity stops.

I had my car broken into and although we have images of someone on the property we have no evidence of whom it was.

This makes the Ring product quite useless.

1 Like

Yep - This doorbell recording time is insufficient. How basic can you get???

Ring has had a problem with “basic” concerns and promises from it’s inception of delivering the products. BIG FAILURE.

My doorbell is hooked up to a wire. What’s your rebuttal now? Battery issue?

I’m going to another brand for a working solution.

Hi,

This doesn’t appear to be a solution to what has been requested.

Should all customers that are affected by this “lack of feature” log new threads/questions/complaints so that you and teh dveelpment team can understand that this is not what is wanted/required?

Thanks,

Rickl

1 Like

I am disappointed that Ring has done nothing about this issue so many of us complain about. My car was burglarized in my driveway and because my internet connection was not strong enough to connect to a live feed the recording shut off even though the motion did not stop. The burglar was actually smart enough to stand behind the vehicle for the alloted time until the camera stopped before he actually broke in. I am going to purchase a non Ring security camera because of this issue.

Hey neighbors! As mentioned previously in this thread, motion frequency is a great place to start if you are wanting to see more consistent recordings. Motion frequency is a setting meant for high traffic areas, which neighbors can set to standard or light to avoid too many alerts and preserve battery life. Setting this to frequent will allow motion to capture more frequently. You can learn more about this in our Ring Help Center Article here.

Keep in mind, our powered devices record for up to 60 seconds while our battery powered devices record for up to 30 seconds by default. We are always working to add settings or features in your Ring app, with the snapshot capture feature being our newest addition. When combined with recordings, the snapshot feature can really add to the coverage seen in your timeline. You can learn more about that in our Ring Help Center Article here.

Additionally, we have also implemented a new feature for battery operated devices to have adjustable recordings which you can learn more about in our Ring Help Center Article here. Please note that the maximum is still 30 seconds for battery operated devices.

Rest assured that us moderators are reviewing every new post and reply as they come in, no matter what board or thread, and take your feedback seriously. We pass on the feedback that our neighbors give us to the appropriate team so that our teams know what our neighbors are requesting in our neighbor to neighbor forum. We are always looking to make the neighbor experience better for all and will continue to provide any updates on new features in our News and Announcements board as they come in.

I have accepted this post as a solution. This is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to get all the appropriate information needed in regards to this concern. Please feel free to continue to share your feedback and any other information you wish to be passed along. We appreciate your participation and valued input. Thank you.

1 Like

Chelsea with all due respect if you’d read the replies above these are not solving the issues. I’ve had motion frequency set to the maximum since we acquired our cameras. Useless.

Further while it’s great you let people customize their recording times with the new features, you once again fall short by limiting it to 30 seconds. If you would listen to your customers in this thread you would see that you aren’t solving the problem. This is exceptionally frustrating to see responses from the Ring Community team continue to ignore the problems mentioned here. These are not solutions and candidly this just infuriates me further since I wasted so much money on your products.

16 Likes

%100 agree, ring just doesn’t listen, they just repeat their plain vanilla response and try to blame the consumer as being clueless

9 Likes

If it’s not the night vision sound problems, motion activation starting to late, video stopping to soon, hard wired battery devices won’t charge in the cold, rssi signal strength issues, you would think this is the year 1985 with these kind of problems

4 Likes

@brandonrogers: That’s exactly right!

@chelsea: thank you for your response, but you have failed to address the issue or give any additional useful information.

In summary, the recording length of ring devices are is not adequate. We require the ability to record for the full duration motion is detected. Not the limited 30/60 seconds for battery and powered devices respectively.

I personally cannot recommend this device because of this reason and the response and support from the ring team is disappointing.

Like BrandonRogers said, many of us have spent a lot of money on ring devices not mentioning the subscription services, for ultimalely suboptimal security surveillance. I will be unfortunately uninstalling ring devices and looking at other alternatives.

7 Likes

Agree with others here. The point of this thread is longer recording lenth of 30 seconds so we cach the whole event. If that drains battery faster let it be our choice. Explaining how to set shorter times is not the point of this thread. Also I still do not have snapshot that was mentioned.

8 Likes

Chelsea,

So, this Community string of texts regarding complaints of insufficent recording time was initiated by “Tom,” a Ring customer, on 07/24/19, nearly eight (8) months ago. In addition to Tom, and not including myself, 29 other Ring customers have echoed the same complaint, “30 seconds IS NOT RECORDING ENOUGH TIME!” But yet, after eight (8) months of this nonsense I find it audacious that you’d write, “Rest assured that us moderators are reviewing every new post and reply as they come in, … and take your feedback seriously.” TAKE our FEEDBACK SERIOUSLY? You must have had your best poker face on when those words left your keyboard.

We are always working to add settings and features in your Ring app, with the snapshot capture feature being our newest addition.” Chelsea, you took the feedback of 30 Ring customers and rather than heeding their request, yes, JUST 1 REQUEST, you instead appear on this thread and declare the issue “SOLVED” because the Ring braintrusts have added a new feature rather than the requested solution. “Snapshot,” your solution! A “solution” that your own website says is “_available on all Ring devices **EXCEPT ** Stick Up Cam (3rd Generation) (coming in 2020).” _Guess what Ring product myself and many other customers are using in an attempt to make our homes safer for our families?

I have to wonder WHO oversees the “Community Managers;” is there any quality assurance within this company? Ironic, isn’t it, customers who have spent hundreds of dollars at the minimum are running out of patience, have threatened to leave and to give their money and customer loyalty to a competitor who won’t simply patronize them, as all they are getting from Ring is a deaf ear. Maybe its about time Ring turn up it’s own volume.

Your company’s “Mission is Simple: Make Neighborhoods Safer.” You’re failing! The inventor of Ring, Mr. Jamie Siminof, wrote, “I hope that you enjoy the Ring™ Video Doorbell as much as we do, and I look forward to hearing your stories about the product.” Well, all 31 of us give you permission to do just that!

5 Likes

Hi neighbors – hope you’re well and healthy. As a Community Manager it is my mission to bring your feedback to our team here. All feedback is important to myself and the entire Community team and I want to let you know, we hear you and your frustrations. As we have stated the team here is aware of your collective interest in having the recording time lengthened. Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day. We will continue to bring your important feedback to the team and update when we are able.

Sharing your constructive feedback is welcomed and we appreciate it. However, attacking our team members will not be tolerated. They are advocates for you and your feedback within Ring and they want you to have the best experience possible with your Ring devices. At the end of the day, please refer to the Community Guidelines and ensuring you’re making the Community the best place it can be.

I also suggest that all the neighbors on this thread create a post in the Feature Request board and ‘kudo’ the post. Thank you.

2 Likes

Chelsea,

I’ll keep it short. If you had, in fact, read this entire thread, you would be fully aware that your response is an insult to your customers and to those of us who take the time to come to the support communities and seek out help.

This limitation is unacceptable, no matter how you try to dance around it. I have a hard-wired Ring doorbell, but it has a 30-second limitation, not 60-seconds. If the issue is storage space, then offer a plan with more storage and charge a couple of bucks more per month. But the programming is the easiest thing in the world to address. A halfway competent high school kid with a clue about programming could fix this in 15 minutes.

8 Likes

This thread started in July of 2018 and all that the Ring team states through the entire thing is that “they will look into it”. One of the managers’s even mocked us saying that Rome wasn’t built in one day. Really??

You people have had more than enough time to get up off your lazy a** and fix this problem that most of your customers have been complaining about for years. We pay monthly fees and get nothing for it. I’m two seconds away from hopping on Nest and throwing Ring in the garbage, accepting it as a total loss. Nest has continued video and their app is a lot more user friendly to use than Ring by far. Did I mention that they listen to their customers and act right away. Maybe you should take some pointers from them.

What’s even worse is the 2 new useless features that they came out with today that enables you to cut your video length even more when there’s no motion. Whaaaaat!? I give up.

The track that Ring is on right now will eventually collapse due to poor management that lacks team structure with no solid customer service.

5 Likes

I have posted here before about missing thing with 30 sec recording. I tried the arlo pro sewries cams to try them for 30 days. Wow to my suprise it records motion up to 300 seconds and an option for a set time to record any motion and they are battery like the stick up cam. Amost all the options people here expect but dont have are there with arlo. Snap shot still not availabe for gen 3 stick up but gee they have it and app much better. So these options shouldnt be that difficult for ring to to figure this stuff out.

1 Like

This issue is not solved. As of March 2020, i also have this issue and agree 30 seconds is inadequate. It should be the users discretion if they need to charge the battery more. This is a failure of this product.

2 Likes

This is an URGENT issue. We had our house broken into yesterday. The burglar tries to get into the window, but then the recording cuts out after 30s so you don’t see how they actually got into the house. I couldn’t tell the police how they got in.

https://youtu.be/HtUyusiGGSg

4 Likes

Yea exatly why is switched Arlo and selling ring. they just dont get it. The arlo are battery operated also but u can adjust recording times. I may drainbattery faster but its on me if i choose the option.

1 Like

You got it, Ring just don’t get it, always an excuse, and they add a new feature, motion verification, that records less, clueless

1 Like

Terrible response. Product is garbage if it can only record 30 seconds.

1 Like