Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video recording length

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Neighbor

video recording length

I noticed that the video recording length is fixed for security cameras, such stick up cam is about half minute and spotlight cam is about 1 minute. I expect the recording is continue till the motion ends, or the fixed length at least can be adjusted with a longer fixed length.

Because of such short recording, some activities are not recorded.

Can it be resolved with a software update?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: video recording length

Hey neighbors! As mentioned previously in this thread, motion frequency is a great place to start if you are wanting to see more consistent recordings. Motion frequency is a setting meant for high traffic areas, which neighbors can set to standard or light to avoid too many alerts and preserve battery life. Setting this to frequent will allow motion to capture more frequently. You can learn more about this in our Ring Help Center Article here

Keep in mind, our powered devices record for up to 60 seconds while our battery powered devices record for up to 30 seconds by default. We are always working to add settings or features in your Ring app, with the snapshot capture feature being our newest addition. When combined with recordings, the snapshot feature can really add to the coverage seen in your timeline. You can learn more about that in our Ring Help Center Article here

Additionally, we have also implemented a new feature for battery operated devices to have adjustable recordings which you can learn more about in our Ring Help Center Article here. Please note that the maximum is still 30 seconds for battery operated devices. 

Rest assured that us moderators are reviewing every new post and reply as they come in, no matter what board or thread, and take your feedback seriously. We pass on the feedback that our neighbors give us to the appropriate team so that our teams know what our neighbors are requesting in our neighbor to neighbor forum. We are always looking to make the neighbor experience better for all and will continue to provide any updates on new features in our News and Announcements board as they come in. 

I have accepted this post as a solution. This is a helpful way for other neighbors that come into this thread to get all the appropriate information needed in regards to this concern. Please feel free to continue to share your feedback and any other information you wish to be passed along. We appreciate your participation and valued input. Thank you.

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.

View solution in original post

84 REPLIES 84
Highlighted
Community Manager

This request has been brought to the team before and we appreciate your feedback! We'll be sure to let the team know as well as keep you informed of any updates along the way Smiley Happy

Like my answer? Accept it as a solution (click on the 'Accepted Solution' button next to reply). Learn more about the Community, here.
Highlighted
New Neighbor II

I've watched a creeper walk into my yard and it stopped recording after 30 seconds and then cools down... kinda useless. Everyone on this forum has requested this feature but nothing has changed. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I've just installed the spotlight camera yesterday and this is annoying me already. 

Leaving this morning, it picked me up fine getting in the car then before I pulled off the drive it stopped recording and didn't actually record the motion of my car moving away. 

Not great, hope this is fixed soon. 

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi @robcfc ! What do you have your Motion Frequency set to? Ring's Motion Frequency algorithm is an internal program that runs inside of your Ring device. It analyzes the traffic patterns of detected motions, looking for repetitive patterns. When it detects such a pattern, it essentially "sleeps" your device for a certain period of time. The more time a repetitive pattern of motion continues, the longer the time between issuing motion alerts. Learn more on our Support page, here.

Got a question? The Community is full of answers! Use our Search bar at the top for quick results.
Highlighted
New Neighbor

I have it set to Standard.

It only records 30 seconds worth of video, so really you can trigger the recording during the night when i'm asleep, wait 30 seconds for it to finish and then it won't pick up again during the same movement. 

I tested it with a notification and then going straight into Live view, and if I watched live view for 2 mins it recorded the whole 2 mins. 

Are you saying if I switch it from standard then it will record more than 30 seconds when it detects motion and will record until the motion is stopped? 

Highlighted
New Neighbor II

From my understanding and my own use of ring products what happens is that if you set the recording to frequent or the higher frequency recording it will start a new recording almost as soon as the last one stopped. In short you get almost the entire event it’s just broken up in to multiple 30 second clips. Sometimes I’ve noticed this leaves a couple seconds of gap in the recordings but it essentially gets you the entire event. If it’s a battery device it will warn you that this will drain your battery quicker. It would be much easier if they’d let us set it to continue recording until motion is no longer observed. Or in the alternative at least let us change the length of recordings.
Highlighted
Community Manager

As mentioned above, the motion frequency being set to frequent can certainly improve your experience in detecting as much of a lengthy event as possible, aside from answering the event notification of course. In the meantime, we have shared this feedback with the team and will keep the Community updated with any future features that might increase recording time. 

Highlighted
New Neighbor

Bump on this issue.  A close friend had a similar issue today...stranger walked up on their back porch, camera caught the non-malicious parts of his activity but caught nothing else because the video cutoff.   I have Ring cameras at two different houses and this is an issue.  At my lake house I caught video of some random kids playing basketball in our driveway (who we didn't know).  I didn't care, but I should have caught the entire game on video.  I get that Ring wants to cover themselves on storage costs/margins so they keep video lengths at a minimum, but I've gotta say that Nest's continuous recording is starting to look more and more attractive to me. because of this type of stuff.   If I can't count on the Ring when I need it, it's useless.  And for a perpetrator to be caught on camera for 30 seconds but for me to miss the remainder is absolutely missing the entire point of having them in the first place...to catch them redhanded.  Fix this or I'm installing Nest Cameras.

Highlighted
New Neighbor

I would like to add my voice to those requesting a longer record of  activity following the detection of motion. Thirty seconds is simply not long enough. Make the duration optional.