video recording length

If they would at least maybe give you the option to change it to a minute it would really help. 30 seconds is just ridiculous especially if there is still activity happening why should it stop recording?

11 Likes

When we customers be in charge of the length of video recording?
A date is ideal so that I can consider other options if necessary.

10 Likes

This thread is fairly old and still no action or response by the Ring team. We had an event two weeks ago where a perpetrator broke into a bunch of cars in our neighborhood and tried to get into ours but it was locked. As usual the Nest only caught 30 seconds with terrible video quality. Further the perpetrator wasn’t remotely concerned by the terrible motion light that came on the camera (attempted to share the video and laughingly even this website won’t let you post videos from your Ring cameras). The result is a useless video that wasn’t remotely helpful to the police or us. We couldn’t get a view of where he went after because the video sucked and it cut off at 30 seconds (which is absolutely ridiculous).

Thus I have decided to move to Nest Cam Outdoor IQ cameras. I’ve installed some now and love them relative to the Ring cameras. They have continuous recording and the interface is super smooth. The quality is absolutely amazing and while they require normal 110 power, any electrician can make that a very easy outcome. Further it has facial recognition with alerting for people it doesn’t recognize. In addition it can distinguish people from motion of trees, etc (neither of which Ring has).

Honestly I wouldn’t have even considered it had Ring shown any interest in responding. But now that I have I encourage you to as well.

11 Likes

I just purchased a Ring doorbell 2 for Christmas as did my entire extended family. We all are having the issue of only 30sec recordings. WHY has this not changed or been addressed since it’s release? Stop saying “I’ll bring this to the team” when you obviously know more than what you’re telling us? It’s not data or saving battery life. I don’t mind having to charge my battery sooner if it means I can catch what someone is doing while I’m away or asleep for the full recording!!! CHANGE THIS.

11 Likes

We had the same issue today with a delivery. When he ringed the door bell the recording started. This also triggered the two other cameras. The delivery person then entered the backyard which was not on camera as teh 30 sec has passed, I would l only see when he was leaving again. Poor product, if this does not get solved from Ring I will change out all my Ring products. How do we get a reply from a Ring representative? Is there a support or phone that we can call? Clearly this forum is not working.

8 Likes

Change the Motion Frequency setting to “Frequent” - this will cause a series of videos to be generated if the motion keeps going after 30s (there is no delay between motion events)

1 Like

Sorry I’ve had it at “frequent” since I began the effort to figure out how to fix this issue. It did nothing to resolve the fact that video stops after 30 seconds even when motion continues. Frankly we shouldn’t have to search this hard for a feature that says “when motion is detected, record for 4 minutes, 5 minutes, 1 minute, etc”. I’ve already begun the process of switching to Nest Outdoor Cam IQs and if you are worried about being able to capture full events from start to finish I’d suggest you do too.

6 Likes

Hey neighbors! As mentioned previously in this thread, motion frequency is a great place to start if you are wanting to see more consistent recordings. Motion frequency is a setting meant for high traffic areas, which neighbors can set to standard or light to avoid too many alerts and preserve battery life. Setting this to frequent will, of course, allow motion to capture more frequently

Keep in mind, our powered devices record for up to 60 seconds while our battery powered devices record for up to 30 seconds by default. We are always working to add settings or features in your Ring app, with the snapshot capture feature being our newest addition. When combined with recordings, the snapshot feature can really add to the coverage seen in your timeline.

We are always sharing our neighbors’ requests with our teams here, and we value your feedback very much.

Sorry Ring but I don’t call this an “accepted solution”. I get that you are trying to preserve battery life but that is MY choice, not yours. I also get that your products have no onboard storage so record length has a huge impact on your servers. I also realize that by design Ring is a doorbell - not a security camera. But the popularity of your brand makes it very misleading on what people are really buying. I have $40 chineses cameras that have a continuous loop or per-event option. In the per-event mode they record as long as there is motion (or whatever trigger I’m using).

I hope your development team have a product roadmap to move this from an alert monitor into a true security camera. Oveall you have some great devices. Don’t loose your market by falling beind in what your consumers want. You say you listen to your “neighbors” - well WE ARE SPEAKING and what you should be hearing is fix it our we’re moving out of the neigborhood.

26 Likes

I agree, add it to the list of problems they don’t want to address

1 Like

Same problem here. Pretty much useles. Takes person longer to get out of car coming up side of house than it records.

It simply should record as long as there is movement. So if the person takes 4min to crawl up driveway it should record 4 min. If it takes 1:45 to drive up and then guy gets out and walks up to door then it should record 1:45. If it takes 20 sec to drive up record the 20 sec and then if guy finishes call l in car and then gets out and causes more motions then start recording again.

This is not that complicated to fix.

Probably about 5 lines of code in Python that says initiate recording and dont stop until motion detection is zero for less than or equal to x seconds (x is user settable).

Record again upon new motion detection. Rinse repeat.

Cmon Ring. Lets get it done.

12 Likes

I totally agree with everyone. I spent all this money for 4 wireless spotlight cameras and they are useless. Delivery truck pulls up and by the time he gets out of the truck, the recording shuts off. He hasnt even gotten anywhere near the door.

7 Likes

I’m with the others in this request. The bad guys know that there is a limitation on recording length and use that to their advantage. And when you say hardwired devices record for 60 seconds, you are misleading. Only devices that are hardwired only have that functionality. I hardwired my doorbell but it still only records 30secs. Same with my spotlight cam. Today I had an incident where the postman put a “sorry we missed you” notice in my mailbox without even coming up to the door but I have no proof to show the post office because all I have on video is him pulling up to my mailbox and shuffling around in his seat for 30 secs. It didnt even catch him putting the mail in the box or pulling away. And yes, I have motion settings set at frequent.

8 Likes

I agree, it either starts to late or goes off too early, don’t know how you overlook common sense engineering, unless they don’t care about real world security, ring is a useless novelty, don’t worry somehow it will be the users fault or maybe it will be elevated to level 12 customer care, like all the other problems that never get resolved, I was going to add a spot light cam to my 2 doorbells, but it’s hard to find a ring product that actually works like a security camera should, and give peace of mind, was hoping amazon would have stepped in by now and make ring a world class product and roll the subscription into prime, that’s a no brainer

6 Likes

At first I enjoyed my Ring Doorbell. Now I see it really triggers a movement but the video will not last longer than 30 seconds. I’ve read 60 seconds is available. How do I improve the length from 30 seconds to 60 seconds? Mine is about two years old.

I had the problem with a delivery driver stopping in front of my house. While they were getting the package out of the truck, the 30 seconds was over and I did not capture them walking up the driveway to the door. I set the “Motion Frequency” to “Frequent” and it now captures the entire stop at the driveway, walk up the driveway and putting package at the door. Although it will be in more then one video, I can see it all.

I can’t find the motion settings. Please advise and thanks for your comment. I’m encouraged.

Sorry. I did find “Frequency” on phone. I was responding previously because I couldn’t find it on my desktop. Mine was already set to frequent but it hasn’t changed anything. I’m still limited to 30 seconds

Hi ring

Can you please respond to this thread and inform us if this is something you are working on.

Depending on your response (or if you respond), I’m considering to discontinue using your products

Regards
Brad

3 Likes

Apparently you go to motion settings, select motion frequency, select frequent. That should improve things, all be it with a very brief pause between the two recordings.