Stranger's voice on my stick up cam!

I’m reading everything about hackers and such, and I do change and use passwords frequently…and yet, on a friday night, our family was watching a movie in our rec room and some man starts saying “hello? hellooooooo?” We immediately unplugged it and are scared to use it now!! Has anyone else had this happen?

My recommendation . . . change your password and also enable two-factor authentication. This way your password is not enough, someone also has to have access to your cell phone in order to login. The best security is something you know (user/password) combined with something you have (phone). One of them is not enough.

Hi @swilson, we’re sorry you had this experience - please send us an email at community@ring.com so we can connect ASAP. However, we want to confirm this was not a compromise of Ring’s systems, please see additional information here https://blog.ring.com/2019/12/12/rings-services-have-not-been-compromised-heres-what-you-need-to-know/ and we look forward to helping you as soon as possible.

@swilson

We had a similar experience with a Ring stick-up cam in December 2019. I posted it on here right before you posted.

The voice in our video was talking about not being able to see, so like your video, the dialogue seemed unsettling. However, after listening to the voice/dialog in the video several times, I was able to find the exact dialog in a show that we were watching around that time.

Like you, I thought that it was highly unlikely that anyone hacked into our system given that we take many technical precautions. I asked Ring to escalate and research because I wanted to understand how this occurs (technically), and the security implications of Ring products if external signals can so easily infiltrate Ring signals. There didn’t seem to be any progress by Ring after a couple weeks, so I asked that the case be closed.

Ring did say that this is a very rare occurence. However, I found another post (by accident) in May 2020 with a similar issue, and I just found your post…

Did Ring provide you with any additional information or explanation?

@swilson wrote:

I’m reading everything about hackers and such, and I do change and use passwords frequently…and yet, on a friday night, our family was watching a movie in our rec room and some man starts saying “hello? hellooooooo?” We immediately unplugged it and are scared to use it now!! Has anyone else had this happen?