Stickup cams - what mesh wifi hardware will they work on?

It seems the Stickup cams (and some other video products) do not work well or at all on mesh networks.

In my case, i have a tp-link deco m4 system with 2 stickup cams (one stickup cam plugin, one stickup cam battery with solar panel ), and they are intermittently online and mostly not sending alerts and not available for live view. I would estimate they are online/available randomly for 2-3hrs every day. I’ve run through all of the “Fixing Your Devices Falling Offline Repeatedly by Adjusting Your Router” steps:

1. internet speed is fine (15/10)

2. signal strength is fine (-60,-40)

3. limited network to 2.4ghz, and can see it operating on channel 8

4. setup dhcp reservations for the stickup cams and base (fixed IP)

5. all firmware up to date on the cameras and tp-link router

6. no special characters in my ssid.

7. disabled mesh for the stickup cams.

8. fast roaming disabled.

9. prioritized ring devices on the network.

Tried addressing issues in the The Protocols and Ports Used by Ring Devices post, with limited success because tp-link doesn’t make these settings visible or configurable.

The same setup ran fine on my older tp-link archer router (non-mesh), but the cameras were so far away, the signal strength wasn’t great so i upgraded to a cheap mesh wifi system (TP-link deco m4, set of 3). All of my other devices on this tp-link wifi network work great (better than before), including an ecobee, 5 year old ipad and 10 year old wifi e-readers. Everything but my stickup cams. If they don’t sent me alerts, there’s no point in having security cameras.

I can see many others having the same problem.

While ring seems to not have a solution to the problem, _ is there a KNOWN set of working mesh wifi systems _? I assume eero (also owned by amazon) would work, but the tp-link deco system is the most affordable (~$150) and simple. Using old routers isn’t a solution.

What am i missing?

2 Likes

No answer?

At this point, it seems when my router automatically switches channels to improve wifi, the stickup cams are not able to reconnect on the new channel.

As noted, everything else in my home seems to deal with this situation fine.

Spoke to ring support, they reviewed the setup and found no obvious reason for the outages. They are shipping a “ring chime” to me (which extends wifi range for cameras) to see if it resolves the issue.

The support call was great. Super friendly and supportive.

Fingers crossed that the “ring chime” resolves the issue.

1 Like

Hi @mmatt. Thank you for taking the time to detail your experience with your mesh system here! This will help out other neighbors better understand the network they have and how to get it working with their Ring devices. I’m glad you were able to reach out to our support team who took a deeper dive into this. Let us know how using this Chime Pro goes for you, and if it helps. If not, please make sure to follow up with our support team since you already have an open concern with them! :slight_smile:

I’ve got exactly the same issue with my ring stick up cam, however my ring doorbell seems fine. As soon as I switched to a deco m4 mesh router it was connecting intermittently. I had an old wifi extender kicking around that I’m just trying it with now to help diagnose

Using a wifi extender has temporarily solved the issue. Is there anything that can be done @Chelsea_ring? Is there a known issue here?

Thanks

Smarter, more modern routers will change channels automatically to improve quality, which seems to cause issues with the ring cameras. In my case, the router changes channels about once a week - so they stay online for a week, then drop off for 2-3 days until something happens and they appear online again.

I imagine the wifi extender may not change channels automatically, resolving the issue.

There might be something else at play here, but i’ve been watching closely for a few weeks and can see this as a pattern.

Matt.

1 Like

Any updates? Getting ready to install a TP-Link X60 Mesh system and sure would like to avoid problems with my 3 Ring Solar Stick Up Cams and a Ring 2 powered doorbell.

1 Like

I have the same Deco M4 system and, when looking into why the wifi signal on my Stick Up Cam is now poor when it wasn’t before, have realised that it is connected to the router in the kitchen which is much further away than the router in the front of the house. Looking at Deco’s help pages, they say you can’t force certain routers to connect to specific devices. It would be useful if we could force the Stick Up Cam to connect to a specific router.

1 Like

My ring stick up cam will not connect to the mesh WiFi . There’s no solution that I know of. No help from my internet provider or ring.
I have tried a router that separates 2.4ghz and5ghz. Turned off 5ghz and still will not connect. I have tried 4 different routers with no success. I have talked to spectrum (our internet provider) 5 times. Had a technician come to our house. Called ring 3 times. I have come to the conclusion that my stick up cam is just not compatible with the fiber WiFi.

1 Like

Still an issue year later. Support is clueless. Had to install a non-mesh router for ring devices. Have the issue now with a weak signal on some cameras. Good luck.

1 Like

Any update? Are your ring equipment playing well with tp-link x60? Currently my password contains special character, and would be major nightmare to change password due to many smart devices installed.

Will it work now (6/2022) for password with special character?