small plastic plugs to cover holes

Hi, my issue is small in the big scheme of things but still vexing. I don’t have one of the small plastic plugs that cover the mount connection (not plug in connection but the one with screw threads). There are two mount connections on the stick up cam 3rd generation. One is on the bottom of the camera, the other on back of camera. One will always be not filled with a mount and so I need the plug to protect the metal threads in the hole. It is the hexagonal (I believe) plug as opposed to the round one that goes over the plug in connection on the back.

I hope that all makes sense. The problem is that ring, apparently, does not have extras of these plugs that they can give out so I am stuck with not having this plug. Has anyone else had this problem and is there a solution? Thanks, Yasmine

Hi @yasdaz. Have you been in touch with our support team directly regarding this missing piece? If anything was missing from your package, our support team would be the ones to look into getting any missing parts sent out to you. If you haven’t already, please reach out to our support team at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile:

Hello @yasdaz ,

Yeah, I would imagine that RIng wouldn’t sell replacement protective plastic plugs. I’m also guessing that you are referring to the “Stick Up Cam Plug In” or "Stick Up Cam Battery models (not the Stick Up cam Elite). Because the only difference between the the "Stick Up Cam ‘Plug In’ and ‘Battery’ model of this cam is whether your package box includes a Quick Release Battery Pack or a 22.9-foot electrical power cord. So either versions should have arrived with two small plastic plugs on the back (one plug to cover the back mounting threads and another plug to cover the barrel-jack power connection used the "Plug In).

If you ever wanted to use the back rear mounting for your bracket, you would remove the plastic plug and later use it to cover the mounting hole on the bottom. If you are using the battery version, you would leave the barrel-jack plug in to protect the electrical-connection jack, or removed this plastic plug if you utilize the Plug-in cord. But both the barrel-jack and mounting bracket plastic plugs are the same and interchangeable. So, if you are using the cord, then use that small plastic plug in the back mounting hole.

If you are using the battery-powered version outside, it would be nice to have the plastic plug to help keep out the weather elements. Double check your box that the Stick Up camera arrived in, because the small plastic plug may have just fell off the camera during shipping. If the small plastic plug is really gone, then you have several options:

• Cover the mounting hole with tape to protect the threads. No worries about water getting into the camera itself through this hole.
  • Maybe spray a little silicone fluid or smear vasiline to prevent threads from rusting.
  • Squeeze a plug from something else, or small plastic ball to seal the hole.

Another option: Now it just happens that I tend to save everything, and my Stick-Up cameras are “Plug In”, so I kept the small plastic plugs that covered the electrical barrel jacks. I thought to save these in case I ever wanted to turn my cams into battery-powered ones. I feel uncomfortable anyone posting personal mailing address information here on this forum, but I do have a “junk email” account that I sometimes use (that I give to stores to get an instant discount, knowing they are gonna be relentless with junk email ads). So Yasmine if you want, you can directly email me your address, and if you live in the USA, I would gladly mail you a free plastic plug that I kept.

Hope this solves your plug issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply. It means a lot. Yes, I am referring to the battery or plug in version, not the elite or the 2nd generation stick up cams.

Unfortunately the plugs are not interchangable. The plug for the electric plug (so to speak) is round and the one for the mount is either pentagonal or hexagonal (or something like that). I have tried to fit the round plug in the other hole and it won’t go. It is the not round plug that is missing for me :(.

Thanks for the suggestions re protecting the mount threads that are no longer covered with the plug. I will look into them and at least the solves the practical problem, if not the cosmetic one, roll eyes.

I really, really appreciate your offer to send me a plug. I would take you up on it if it were the right one. But it sounds like it is the round one. Check the plug you have over the mount that you are not using (either bottom or side of camera) to see the difference between the two. Biggest thanks and appreciation, Yasmine

1 Like

Hi, I did talk to the support team but they said they did not have the plugs to send out to me. They did kindly send the safety screws which I knew were going to get stripped eventually as I took the screws out to put the charged battery in and also the screws for the doorbell (2nd generation) as the same issue applied, except not for batteries but charging. Thanks, Yasmine

@yasdaz wrote:

Thanks so much for your reply. It means a lot. Yes, I am referring to the battery or plug in version, not the elite or the 2nd generation stick up cams.

Unfortunately the plugs are not interchangable. The plug for the electric plug (so to speak) is round and the one for the mount is either pentagonal or hexagonal (or something like that). I have tried to fit the round plug in the other hole and it won’t go. It is the not round plug that is missing for me :(.

Thanks for the suggestions re protecting the mount threads that are no longer covered with the plug. I will look into them and at least the solves the practical problem, if not the cosmetic one, roll eyes.

I really, really appreciate your offer to send me a plug. I would take you up on it if it were the right one. But it sounds like it is the round one. Check the plug you have over the mount that you are not using (either bottom or side of camera) to see the difference between the two. Biggest thanks and appreciation, Yasmine

Hello @yasdaz ,

**_"Everyday I learn something new, that is a good day!"_**

_ Anonymous_

Well, you are completely correct Yasmine! The small rubber plugs are not interchangeable. I had always thought that both the small plastic plugs for the electrical connection hole and the mounting connection hole were the same. As you pointed out, they are not. Well, I learned something new, and that is a good day :slight_smile:

Being the nerd that I am, I checked. (attached pics, here and including the next post, because you can only attach 2 pics per post in Ring Community, and I took 4 pics)

I even tried squeezing the round electrical plug into the mounting hole as you did, and I agree with you (as you can see from the next pics) it doesn’t fit quite right, although it does seal the hole to keep out the weather elements.

You are welcome, concerning my previous offer. But I’m sorry that my offer doesn’t solve your need for the small missing hex mounting plug.

Wish you luck, and I’d be interested if what final solution you come up with :slight_smile:

@yasdaz ,

Two more plug pics. The Hex plug and Barrel plug comparison in the mounting hole.

**_"Everyday I learn something new, that is a good day!"_**

_ Anonymous_