ring cam elite PoE: "cannot connect to the internet" using ethernet PoE??

Hello.

I am currently running my modem from century link, to a Pakedge router (WAN in), the LAN out to Pakedge Switch where i have set up PoE for the units. I have full power to the cameras. First one took like three tries but then it went live and was set up. the next one i can not get it to connect to save my life. i am confused as to why it asks to connect to “wifi” for some random ring connection when i am using PoE? it keeps saying can not connect to internet. if i go to wifi itself instead of ethernet then i can get it to connect eventually but still not trivial.

any reason why it will not connect to the ethernet via PoE?? Anyone else have this issue? my whole reason for buying the elite was to avoid bogging down my wifi with a bunch of cameras on it.

thanks in advance

bo

Hey @GBOGH. It seems like the device is having a hard time connecting to your internet, whether it is from PoE or through the wifi, and this may be due to certain ports and protocols not being opened on the network. Please check out our Help Center Article here for more information on what network changes to make, and if you continue to have issues, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Thank you for your response. i have set up the ports on my switch to be PoE as shown below:

PoE status=enable

PoE power standard= 802.3at

PoE power priority = low

PoE power timerange = unspecified

this is the setting that is work on the one camera that did successfully connect after like 3 or 4 tries.

i have tested these with a computer when PoE is turned off so the switches work for ethernet. its the step where roam wasnt built with PoE (or a day?) that it gets hung up.

@GBOGH Awesome, thank you for detailing this in your response, I greatly appreciate it. After reading this and having a better understanding of where you’re getting stuck at, it would definitely be best to reach out to our support team. Please check out to them over the phone and let me know how they address this for you! Look forward to your response. :slight_smile:

I also have Internet through CenturyLink and having the exact same problem. Any resolution? The whole motivation of buying the Ring doorbell elite and ring wired stick up cams was to use Ethernet for connectivity instead of wifi. The cameras power up fine through POE but can only get connectivity through wifi.

Sounds like a possible IP address issue to me.

Assume your modem is passing out (DHCP) IP address?

Make sure the doorbell is set to auto on ip addresses an auto on DNS.

I had no issues when I connected mine. Had a non- POE Ring before, POE is the only way to go.

1 Like